I need more drive space. What brand/drive is good these days?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I miss my Samsung drives. All those years of fantastic service! But I can't buy Samsung anymore, so I went back to my first love from the previous century: Seagate. The Seagate drives are doing OK for me.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It's all lies. I'm still here, 'coz Tannin never takes me anyware. I've just been a bit quiet this last little while ever since I realised that, according to the forum software (which is run by Doug and obviously never wrong), I have been a member here 2002, which is 10 years ago ...... but I am in fact only 7! Ever since that moment I've been wrestling with a strong sense of existential angst.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I received one of the Seagate 3GB drives in a rather small OEM brown box and it was not even enclosed in an outer box! Then I forgot to take it out of my car trunk most of the week. I thought there was a can of beans or something bouncing around, but there was not.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Drives are vastly better at resisting shock than they used to be, LM, and it's amazing what they will put up with these days, but there are limits to all things.

I'm hoping those plastic accordion thingies on the ends saved it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've shipped drives to people I don't like in just that little box. Every once in a while I get one from Amazon that way, too.

Mercutio

WD and Seagate's energy-saver drives are the problem children and probably everything else you could possibly get is fine.

Ironically I think the WD Red drives are also "energy saver" drives, but they don't have the problems that the WD Green drives have. Nice to know you're paying an extra 33% for a couple of changed bits in firmware.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Ironically I think the WD Red drives are also "energy saver" drives, but they don't have the problems that the WD Green drives have. Nice to know you're paying an extra 33% for a couple of changed bits in firmware.
From my experience this seems to be the case... we have a bunch of red drives spread across various zpools, and none have had problems... green drives on the other hand, nothing but problems so these have been migrated to other duties... yet both have the same performance characteristics...

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Really wish I could combine multiple green drives in a zpool. At least I've had no problems in my limited testing using ZFS on a single green drive in a single zpool.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
shouldn't I be able to use the green drives if I sort of JBOD them into a single volume (not RAIDZ)?

Mercutio

shouldn't I be able to use the green drives if I sort of JBOD them into a single volume (not RAIDZ)?

You would think, but the answer is still no. Believe me. I had 24 of the goddamned things and tried everything I could think of to make them work in any kind of array or logical grouping at all. I thought I had gotten somewhere with Storage Spaces, since that let me address the underlying disk as well as the full array, but that was ultimately a bust as well. I settled on using those drives as modest-duty backup disks since the WD20EADS's specs say they have a higher MBTF rating than other energy saver drives.