I need some data services.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm looking to move my web/FTP/mail services off of my own server. I'd like some suggestions for providers of some basic services. I don't anticipate needing a lot of daily data transfer but I might need larger than average space.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
www.pair.com

You pay a premium, but it's worth it. However it's not so good if you run DBs, say for hosting a forum such as this one. They have limits on the DB sizes etc on their smaller plans, however this does help to keep the script kiddies from taking the server down every day :)

Handruin

Administrator
Howell, I looked at your requirements and I won't be able to give you a better price than the DSH-RESELL plan on www.xcensus.com. 1GB is a lot of space, and they are only charging $15 per month. (I don't know how they hell they stay in business) Their plan allows you to host multiple domain like a reseller. (which mine won't)

My cost is $3 per 100MB. At cost, I'm already 2x higher than www.xcensus.com. Pair networks doesn't offer a plan that high (850MB) and they are asking $50 p/month with a $50 setup charge.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Strangely, they don't seem to have an easy way to buy their services. I can't even find a broken link for such.

Thanks for the help guys.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Pair currently has setup fees waived for web "refugees", i.e. people moving from another web host.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Howell said:
Strangely, they don't seem to have an easy way to buy their services. I can't even find a broken link for such.

you mean on xcensus? how about the red "buy now" button under each of their virtual hosting plans?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
Howell said:

you mean on xcensus? how about the red "buy now" button under each of their virtual hosting plans?
:oops:

Blake, who do you use as a domain registrar?

StormFusion

What is this storage?
blakerwry can you please contact "mirage@xcensus.com" concerning your website.

Regards

Shaun Anderson

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Storm, my hosting account recently expired and xcensus refused to continue my current plan, instead directing me to one of their currently offered plans. I've found a host that offers more features at less cost so have moved. I've updated my DNS and the changes should have taken affect near the beginning of June (my account with excensus expiring at the end of June).

If your ISP's DNS servers are out of date that may explain any error messages you are getting while trying to contact my site. From several locations I've tried my site and it apears it is operating just fine... I've done everything I can do to make sure it is available.

I just looked on dnsstuff.com and it had a cached copy of the old whois information for my domain.. looks like it was several months old, refreshing the information did yeild the correct whios information and dnsstuff.com does resolve my domain correctly. From several ISPs my domain does work correctly. From network-tools.com I see they are using old information(possibly because of some information I gave one of their affiliates, secondary.org -This has since been corrected).

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
hmm.. I tried modifying my hosts file and pointing my domain to my old host expecting to see an error message and I couldnt make things fail. To me it apears as tough my domain is still active with xcensus... (as it should be until July 1st... unless they decide to continue with my current plan that is)

Storm, can you please tell me if you are still recieving an error when visiting my domain, and if so what is that error?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
hmm.. just tried the old fashioned way and telnetted to xcensus....

[root@localhost /]# telnet 63.247.78.154 80
Trying 63.247.78.154...
Connected to 63.247.78.154.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.1
Host: anime-jennie.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:54:21 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.3.3 FrontPage/5.0.2.2634a mod_ssl/2.8.18 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
Content-Type: text/html

Connection closed by foreign host.

[root@localhost /]# telnet 63.247.78.154 80
Trying 63.247.78.154...
Connected to 63.247.78.154.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: anime-jennie.com

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:55:04 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.3.3 FrontPage/5.0.2.2634a mod_ssl/2.8.18 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/html

be2
<html>
<head>
<title> www.anime-jennie.com - Artwork by Jennie : Anime : Oekakies : CGI : drawings</title>
<META name="description" content="Anime-Jennie.com Lots of artwork including CGI, drawn, and painted work in anime and other styles.">
<META name="keywords" content="anime, cgi, color, black and white, artwork, art, color, oekaki, oekakies, jennie, anime-jennie, drawing, painting">
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="ALL">

<base href="http://anime-jennie.com">
<link rel="stylesheet" href="./includes/style.css" type="text/css">
</head>
<body background="background.gif" style="overflow-x:hidden;y:scroll;">
<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="170">
<table height=30>
<tr><td></td></tr>
</table>
<style type="text/css">

img {
behavior: url("http://anime-jennie.com/pngbehavior.htc");
}
</style>
leftImage.png

</td>
<td vAlign="top">

<table width=600 height=80 border=0>
<tr><td></td></tr>
</table>

<table width=600 height=350 border=0>
<tr>
<td width=403 align=left valign=top>
<iframe src="main.html" width=380 height=350 frameborder=0 noresize="noresize" scrolling="no" name="main">Welcome to Anime-jennie.com See the anime, oekakies, and artwork!</iframe>
</td>
<td width=197>
<table width=197 align=left>
<tr>
<td valign=top>

blank.png

blank.png

blank.png

blank.png

</td>
</tr>
</table>

</td>

</tr>
</table>

</td>
</tr>
</table>

<table width="700" height="20" border="0">
<tr><td align="right">

<table border=0 width=700><tr><td rowspan=2>
</td><td valign=middle align=right><span class="small" style="{font-family:arial; font-size:15px; position:relative; top:-2px }">Visits:</span> </td></tr><tr><td></td></tr></table>
</td></tr></table>
</body>
</html>

Connection closed by foreign host.

definately apears my account is still active.

Let me know though, thanks.