I Thought This Was Illegal In The US

Corvair

Learning Storage Performance
Guess not anymore.

We are able to provide our customers postal services through our utilization of the United States Postal Service® (USPS®) work share program. With our operational efficiencies, we are able to obtain better postal rates for customers, while providing transit times that are comparable to First-Class Mail®.

http://www.upsmailinnovations.com/index.html

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Nope: If you look carefully domestic mail service you will see that "All pieces undergo a primary and secondary sort prior to induction into the USPS®". So what they are doing is pre-processing the mail and then delivering it to the USPS. There have been bulk mail preprocessors for a very long time. UPS is simply doing even more but in the end the mail is still being delivered by the USPS.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Hehehe. Sicne Federatal Express delivers so many of the Expressmail;, it;s all like one incenstuous clustrefukc betwen them. It hink it all started around 1970 or so when poatal went privat.

Hi Gary - what;s up?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I notice that Newegg has a new shipment option that sometimes shows items as "Remanded to US Postal Service for Delivery."

Really, that sort of thing makes sense. It lowers costs for non-postal carriers and its a way for the postal service to make some money.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
USPS home delivery is terrible if one works normal weekday hours. PO has limited hours, so it is necessary to stand in line with the unwashed masses on Saturday morning to get the package. :( Fedex generally has extended hours so one can track a missed delivery and pick up the package at the depot in the evening if you don't work too far away.

Last edited:

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
USPS home delivery is terrible if one works normal weekday hours. PO has limited hours, so it is necessary to stand in line with the unwashed masses on Saturday morning to get the package. :( Fedex generally has extended hours so one can track a missed delivery and pick up the package at the depot in the evening if you don't work too far away.

Certainly not true in all locations, guess LM missed my SR rant about the twilight zone (TV series of the 60's :D) of my FedEx experience in Los Angeles. FedEx, unlike UPS or USPS, uses independent contractor truck delivery people...that can be a nightmare if you have a perishable product. I would use FedEx last of all big shippers (even though I know *all* USPS Express Mail shipments since IIRC 2003, are transported by FedEx planes where there is a flight involved).

Yeah, usually better to have shipped to a business where there is someone who can receive shipments. But what happens at dd's location, if the receptionist is out to lunch (or having sex with superiors :p )?

LunarMist

I have stuff shipped to the office, that way the receptionist can always sign for it.

That can work in a mom and pop shop, but may be illegal in some large companies. There are too many security and liability risks.

ddrueding

Fixture
Illegal? Wow. Against policy I can imagine, it's against our policy as well (doesn't apply to execs), but illegal is another matter. Govt. contracts? Classified stuff?

And to reply to Uda, there is someone at the front desk from 7AM until 6PM 5 days a week. Even after that, I can see the truck coming from my desk (security cameras) and be there to sign for it.

LunarMist

Illegal? Wow. Against policy I can imagine, it's against our policy as well (doesn't apply to execs), but illegal is another matter. Govt. contracts? Classified stuff?

:) It is definitely against policy. It could be construed as illegal if the resources for package delivery are missappropriated. I think it is mainly driven by paranoia after 9-11. We even have to sign a ledger for packages delivered by the mailroom guys.

LunarMist

I do visit facilities where we cannot enter with any electronic devices and they check vehicles for explosives and contraband, but it is not top secret or anything like that.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
USPS delivery means packages are waiting at the post office, a mile from my apartment, instead of 40 miles away at the Westville Fedex depot.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I must be extremely lucky, if podunk Salem, Oregon (Pop. 150,000) beats Illinois: The farthest I have to travel to get to any of the major carriers is 3 miles. Even the lesser carrier (freight) companies ship to the airport for pickup and that is less than 3 miles too.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I must be extremely lucky, if podunk Salem, Oregon (Pop. 150,000) beats Illinois: The farthest I have to travel to get to any of the major carriers is 3 miles. Even the lesser carrier (freight) companies ship to the airport for pickup and that is less than 3 miles too.

Merc lives in Indiana.

In Chicago there is only one UPS pickup facility, for the entire city of 2.8 million people. Out in the burbs they have other facilities. I'm not sure about FedEx, I haven't had to pickup a package from them.