Idle curiozity

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
No particular reazon for thiz at thiz particular time, but I am curiouz about thiz one. Here at work I uze Mosilla under OZ/2, but at home I have zeveral browzerz. Zo at home I use IE 5.0, and Tannin uzez Opera. We both have our favourite browzerz zet to auto log uz in az (rezpectively) Tea and Tannin. If we want to be one of the variouz other people that live inzide Tannin'z head (The Grammer Police, CNN Zport, Ekaf-Ami), we uze Mosila, and (becauze Mos needz to cover zeveral different uzerz) it iz not zet to log anyone in by default. Over at Ztorage Review, we mostly uze Mos all the time. And at work, of courze, we only have Mosilla.

Anyway, my queztion iz thiz: Why is the ZR and the ZF log-on zo different? If any one of uz logz on to ZR (letz zay it'z Ekaf-Ami) to make a pozt, that one remainz loggged on from that moment on until we click LOGOUT or cloze all inztancez of the browzer. But if one of us (maybe it'z Ekaf) doez the exact zame thing at Ztorage Forum, he ztayz logged on for only a half hour or zo.

I'm not complaining or anything, it doezen't bother me, I'm juzt curiouz.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Bezt guezz: Cookiez can be zet with varying rangez of expirationz. It iz pozzible that the expiration at ZR is unlimited while at ZF it is 30 minutez.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Ahh thankyou, Cliptin. Zo far, that makez zenze, but if I remember correctly, phpBB allowz varied log-out timez anywhere between ... er ... I think it waz 2 minutez up to 2 hourz. But the ZR one goez forever. Perhapz thiz facility haz been changed with newer verzionz of phpBB? Or maybe my memory, like my sanity, is a zhrinking thing.

PZ: your zig haz a couple of mizzpellingz.

The Giver

Learning Storage Performance
Hey Tea WZF is up with all the "z"s? Did you lose your "s" somewhere?

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Tea said:
Ahh thankyou, Cliptin. Zo far, that makez zenze, but if I remember correctly, phpBB allowz varied log-out timez anywhere between ... er ... I think it waz 2 minutez up to 2 hourz. But the ZR one goez forever. Perhapz thiz facility haz been changed with newer verzionz of phpBB? Or maybe my memory, like my sanity, is a zhrinking thing.

PZ: your zig haz a couple of mizzpellingz.

Perhapz ZR hacked PHP to allow indefinite length cookiez.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Ahh, maybe that'z it. Perhapz Doug would know.

Ahhh ... and I better confezz. I wazn't really zeriouz when I ztarted this "z" thing, but being grumpier than I ought to be thiz Friday, I zpoke incautiouzly to Tannin, and the old bugger uzed zome white paint on my keyboard to cover up the marking on that particular key and now I can't find it anymore. :(

J-Frog

What is this storage?
Another Friday zurfing the forumz...

UH OH!!! Tea'z zpeech inpediment haz affected me :eek:

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I don't think I'm zuppozed to mention where my thumb iz, Coug. Tannin zaid it'z not polite.

Oh oh! Bad newz! Tannin relented juzt now and zaid he would remove the paint from the keycap with the letter I can't uze anymore, zo I can zpeak normally again, but he uzed the wrong zort of paint and it won't come off! Now I'll have to uze the "z" forever!

Ekaf-Ami

What is this storage?
Excuse me for asking what is maybe stupid question, Miss Tea, but how many of keys on your keyboard did your good friend Mr Tannin be painting out?

Ekaf-Ami

What is this storage?
I apologise most humbly if this be stupid idea, Miss Tea, but remedial English class I am attending be using novel by Mr Arthur Conan-Doyle called "Sherlock Holmes". Mr Holmes is very clever man who say "when searching for something, eliminate the impossible and whatever else remains must be answer of the correct sort".

Why, when looking for the "s" key, can you not be eliminating all other keys which have markings on them and just press painted-out key?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
That iz a really ztupid idea! It couldn't pozzibly work. How do I know that the zame letter iz ztill underneath? It could be anything now! Here: watch what happenz.

S

Eek! It works!

Ekaf, you are a geniuz!

Err .. Genius.