IIS / Frontpage extensions can't download EXE?

ddrueding

Fixture
Hi,

I just built a new webserver running server 2003 standard with IIS 6.0 and the Frontpage 2002 extensions. A user uploaded their website and everything seems to work, except for the link to the executable. I've verified that the file is there, but whenever you click on the link, you get a 404 instead.

Page that references the file

The file itself

I'm sure it's just a configuration issue with either IIS or FPE, but I can't figure it out, and this thing is live.

Thanks for any assistance,
David

ddrueding

Fixture
Good thoughts Will, but the MIME for EXE is already there by default. I've also gone in and enabled all the default extensions. Though the content isn't dynamic, it's an html file with a direct link to the file in question, and I've verified that the file is there.

Any more ideas?

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Which leads to wondering if it is somehow trying to execute the executable on the server and server the output instead of serving it as an octet stream. Could you watch the process manager on the server while the file is requested to see if that happens?

ddrueding

Fixture
I followed the directions of the QB article to add the MIME type, and it said it already existed. I then scrolled down the list and sure enough there it was listed as "octet sctream".

Neither the EXE nor the HTML are modified in any way, they are both static files. I will be able to check the process manager this afternoon.

Yes, the EXE is in the same folder (root of the website) as the HTML documnet that refers to it. Though this doesn't seem to be an issue, as I can't even get the file by typing the direct path to it in manually.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Just a wild guess, could the file name be case sensitive? I know that isn't normal with Windows (at least it wasn't that way with NT), but my host uses Unix, and everything is case sensitive.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I just tested, and as I suspected, it's not case sensitive.

Dave, I intalled 2003 Server, SP1 and any Express updates. I activated the roll of the server for Applications (IIS, ASP.Net). I copied your HTML code, created a new page and then switched your MoveIt.exe to iexplore.exe (of course putting the file in that directory) -- all works fine. I used all of the default settings. I don't know if this will help, but I just wanted to let you know how things transpired for me. So, your code is fine and the default settings in ISS/Windows seem to be fine. The only way I can simulate your error message is when the link cannot access the file.

ddrueding

Fixture
Buck said:
I just tested, and as I suspected, it's not case sensitive.

Dave, I intalled 2003 Server, SP1 and any Express updates. I activated the roll of the server for Applications (IIS, ASP.Net). I copied your HTML code, created a new page and then switched your MoveIt.exe to iexplore.exe (of course putting the file in that directory) -- all works fine. I used all of the default settings. I don't know if this will help, but I just wanted to let you know how things transpired for me. So, your code is fine and the default settings in ISS/Windows seem to be fine. The only way I can simulate your error message is when the link cannot access the file.

Yeah, I just ended up doing the same. Very frustrating. The entire page was created and uploaded using frontpage, so I think I'll delete the entire site and have the author re-upload it...I'll keep you posted.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
But why woiuld anyone willingly use Frontage? (Or IIS, come to that.) Frontpage produces the most appallingly bad code I've ever had the misfortune to try to read, and there are dozens of better, easier-to-use apps out there. Not to mention more secure: there are any number of Frontpage exploits. My server gets attacked on a weekly basis. (Not that it matters to me, of course, but it just illustrates that people out there are trying. Or bots, more likely.)

ddrueding

Fixture
Tannin said:
But why woiuld anyone willingly use Frontage? (Or IIS, come to that.) Frontpage produces the most appallingly bad code I've ever had the misfortune to try to read, and there are dozens of better, easier-to-use apps out there. Not to mention more secure: there are any number of Frontpage exploits. My server gets attacked on a weekly basis. (Not that it matters to me, of course, but it just illustrates that people out there are trying. Or bots, more likely.)

It's not that I am using frontpage, but that my client is using frontpage. I tried creating a nice page for him using clean code, but he makes so many requests and changes that there is no way I could keep up. He's also not the most computer savvy: FTP would be a bit of a reach. So Frontpage it is.

IIS? I've never had an issue with it so long as I stay up on my updates. It's clean, easy, and allows exchange and sharepoint integration.