I'm Diskless!

Jimshady

What is this storage?
Hey guys, might be an easy question.

I'm yet to do a full diagnosis, I just noticed it last night before bed. I switched on my computer, and an error message occured along the lines of "Insert a system disc that you can boot off.". Strange! I hadn't moved anything. The disc is a 3-month-old seagate 120GB Sata drive. I quickly pulled it out of the case, and it didn't recognised it again. I replaced the sata cable with another, and it booted in. So I went and burnt the suspect sata cable and that was that. I then moved the drive back into the case, and it didn't boot up! I should have backed up the data while it was up! So it's a crappy issue of physical orientation or something like that. Oh, and I shook the drive and something rattles inside... forgot that part!

Is it "new HDD" time? This disc is like 3 months old, thats bad!

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
RMA it. Just bad luck. Try to boot it again a few times, if you have something important there. Just in case it boots up for a while and you can backup something.

Besides that, there are three different groups that I consider when getting drives ;) :
1. 15k rpm (Maxtor or Seagate)
2. 250+GB (Seagate for me at the moment)
3. <250GB ==Samsung

Jimshady

What is this storage?
Ummm... so I reset my bios to defaults, and it works. :eek: I'm still yet to put the drive in the right way up. Fingers crossed.