I'm retiring

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm retiring! January 31 is my last official day at work, February 1 is my first day of retirement. It's kind of scary. I've had a job of some sort since I was 13, and on some occasions worked two jobs to make ends meet. It's going to be strange not getting up and 'going to work'. But I'm sure I will adjust. :-D

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Congrats, Bozo, you sure deserve it after a long innings.

Make sure you have a hobby that keeps you occupied. Doing nothing eats into you like nothing else does!

If you have the space (I think you do), gardening is a great idea. It connects you back to your roots and to the earth in a unique way.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Congratulations, man! Get out now and enjoy the things life has to offer. Like model trains and strippers.

Looking at how my folks have done, one thing I have got to say is make sure you have plenty of reasons to be out of the house. I can see a huge difference with my uncles (and also with many of my students). The ones who go out in the world seem a lot healthier and sharper and saner than the ones who stay at home all the time.

Either way though, you did your time and now you get to be a free man.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Congratulations! Being "free" at last is one of the greatest feelings a person can have, even if in a case like mine it's going from working for someone else to working for myself. It's nice not living by the clock anymore. I long for the time when I can only pick just the projects which interest me, or not work at all. Just make sure to keep busy. I noticed how may dad deteriorated physically and mentally during the 11.5 years he was retired. I'm convinced that some people need the routine of work to stay sharp. Others, like myself, can probably keep themselves occupied for millenia if we lived that long.

You have a great hobby in model railroading. It's one I hope to get back into one day when I have more space and time. Building a dream layout is easily something that can keep you occupied for decades. I've been heavily active on the electronic end of model railroading in the past, so if you need things like passenger car lighting just give me a heads up. I've also made a prototype train control which (once calibrated) displays train speed continuously by measuring the back EMF from the motor. I hope to get it into production one of these days.

I second mubs suggestion of gardening as another hobby. I grew vegetables for many years, but stopped about 15 years ago for various reasons. This year I'm going to try and get back into it. I'm starting some seeds (eggplant, peppers, tomatoes) in a few weeks (courtesy of LED grow lights I'll be making) for transplant once the weather warms up. Nothing like growing your own food, especially in a big city where few do. The taste beats the store bought stuff any day as well.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
CONGRATS. Now you have time to dedicate more time to computers and fun stuff!

Handruin

Administrator
Congrats Bozo. I'm happy for you and wish you the best in your retirement. I hope you get the chance to do things you've not been able to do in the past.

ddrueding

Fixture
That is awesome. Granted I'm some way from it, but I'd like to think of retirement as when I can turn down any work at any time for any reason. I can't see myself not working or pursuing income of some kind, but being able to say "nah" if the project doesn't sound fun would be awesome.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I feel the same way. Too many interesting projects come my way for me to say I'll never work again, even if I didn't need the money. I would think of retirement as only doing the projects which interest me.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I would think of retirement as only doing the projects which interest me.

That's a nice sentiment. I suspect it will apply to Bozo, although gardening can also be exciting. ;)

I'm worried that Bozo will throw SF out with the bathwater, and not feel any need to carouse with his fellow tech-heads. :( Bozo, you're an especially valued member, regardless of whether or not you're tending a PC farm. Please bear that in mind when you're getting out of bed whenever you damn well please, sauntering around sunning yourself or sipping wine or coffee or whatever you feel like doing on that particular day. :p

Cheers, friend.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks everyone.
I'll still visit Storage Forum. I might be retiring but I still need to keep my mind busy. I have already been ask to go in where I worked as a consultant so I will still need to be current with what's new.
I am sure I'll be busy at home as well. We have a 4 month old grand daughter that I need to spoil. :-D

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Today is my last day at work. In a way I'm a little sad. With 35 years at the same place, I've worked with some really great people. I will miss them.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't they have get-togethers you can join? One place I worked at early on has these Friday the 13th gang-ups to which people even more ancient than I am show up. People in their eighties, seventies, down to their forties. Retired, fired, people who left, people that were still working when the company was around (it went bust in 1992). These sessions still continue. If your company doesn't have something like this, maybe you should start one!

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The past few days have been the best so far of my retirement. I got up the other morning and it was snowing. Poured a cup of coffee and watched it snow. There was no worrying about getting to work, would I be late, should I just call off, when was the snow plow coming, or could I get out of my drive way. It was wonderful!

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Snowing here too. Over a foot, so far. Very pretty, almost aesthetic. I can definitely tell that there are few children for the snow remains relatively pristine in my apt. complex and all schools have been closed today. The Apt. parking is all up on a hill, so cars can leave but they can't get back so even the parking lot is relatively pristine.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Congratulations! I can't say I share your sentiment regarding snow though - - hate it with a passion. It makes me go to school into June, which is a big no no for me. That and add on the fact that it's
A.) cold,
B.) windy, and
C.) one of the rarer years here in terms of snowfall (Grandparents been here for 20+ years, I've only just moved up about 1 and a half years ago)
and you get a recipe for disaster. All the ID10Ts come out when it snows. When it was really bad, we saw three different people in the ditch because it was either that or hitting another car. We watched one guy wrap his truck around a tree - - he's perfectly okay, by the way, really lucky - - and it was one of the scariest moments of my short life.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Sorry for the mood whiplash in my last post, just now realized that this is supposed to be a "happy" thread.

Anyway, congratulations! I have a four year old sister, myself.

By "rarer" in terms of snowfall I mean it's much higher than usual. Tack that onto the wind carrying it all over the place and the fact that we live on a rural road (as in we're like 9001st priority in terms of getting plowed)... getting stuck is the least of my worries when I start driving.

I also don't wish to see you go - - being relatively new here, I would subconsciously think that I somehow drove you away, and that is not good for my self-esteem, which is already at an all-time low (no social life, typical teenager angst, yada yada you get the drill).

Darn those moodswings! Looks like my "happy gland's" not going to cooperate here, so I'm gonna leave now...