[INFORMAL TEST] Hansol H711s

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I just hooked up a Hansol H711s LCD display. As usual, I still prefer CRTs for image quality. But, using this 17" Hansol LCD at 1280x1024 is nice. All of the text is crisp and clean as expected. Comparing this with some Sony variants, I think it is just as good. The image quality improves as the room lighting increases. It uses a Samsung TFT-LCD. The price is pretty reasonable (cheaper then an equivelant Samsung), and I hope my customer likes it. :)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It looks like it is trailing a few generations back by looking at the spec sheet. Viewing angles and contrast ratio were not comparable to those of the newer models. If it's cheap and you think it answers the need of some of your customers (most probably office users), then why not.

There's alway a certain "wow" factor with LCDs, which isn't something to neglect.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
CougTek said:
It looks like it is trailing a few generations back by looking at the spec sheet. Viewing angles and contrast ratio were not comparable to those of the newer models. If it's cheap and you think it answers the need of some of your customers (most probably office users), then why not.

There's alway a certain "wow" factor with LCDs, which isn't something to neglect.

No, it doesn't have the 500:1 contrast ratio of newer LCD displays. But then again, those new generation items don't compare to OLED. The customer is cramped for space and presently has a 5 year old Compaq branded CRT. All he does is office work for his business and yes, he does like the wow factor. Upgrading to this LCD from his old CRT will be a big step up. The viewing angle on that Hansol is not that bad after using for the past 6 hours at a resolution of 1280 x 1024.. Unfortunately, the image quality and color correctness just doesn't match a good CRT. I would like to try one of the Samsung 191t displays one of their 23" LCD models.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Just as a side note, Hansol has a nice return policy. They will replace the monitor for 1 burned out pixel. For the first year, they'll reimburse shipping charges too, and they have a couple service centers within a couple hours of me.

I've also researching Hyundai ImageQuest LCD monitors. They have lower prices with 500:1 contrast ratios. I'm trying to see what the details are for their return policy.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
That's going back a fair way, but yes, both.

Mind you, I can't even remember what the plugs looked like, but they must have been 9-pin. Lots of people got caught with otherwise good EGA monitors in a VGA era. For a while there, a really useful display card feature was dual outputs, both EGA and VGA.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
time said:
That's going back a fair way, but yes, both.

Were they all digital? I remember (perhaps incorrectly) my CGA card was a D-sub but I don't remember the ping count.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I have some old ISA cards with VGA, DB9, and Composite outputs... mose of the cards have 1 of the above, some have 2... none have all three. I don't have any more of those Macintosh DB15 cards though.