Install IE 7, not for browsing but for safety?

Handruin

Administrator
I know the thought seems revolting, but has anyone been installing IE 7 just to keep their machines up to date with patches? There have been a few discussions about IE 7, but I don't remember anyone discussing the installation of IE 7 as a security fix for any lingering IE 6 issues.

I don't use IE 6 for anything so I'm not specifically worried about browsing with it, but if something else were to try an exploit it would it be best to upgrade to IE 7 simply for the sake of keeping the machine fully up to date? Granted IE 7 has its own issues but at least it is being actively worked on.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for bringing this up, Handy. I'd like to know too. I'm still on 6 and it's supposed to have major probs. It's there only for WinUpdate.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I haven't heard anything either way, but, as I think about it, there are a boat load of programs that plug into the IE engine to display content, as well as provide web access. That's still a way in, even if you don't use IE directly.

Handruin

Administrator
Those programs you speak of are what I'm concerned about. It's a gamble to guess which browser will now be targeted. Will they target IE 6, hoping people don't know how to upgrade, or will they spend their cycles working to exploit IE 7.

MS pushes hard in their windows update these days to get everyone to IE 7, so my guess is the time might be spent more on IE 7 than IE 6...now I'm right back to where I started...and that's no better or worse. it isn't a huge issue on my mind, but something I'm wondering what you system builders do.

ddrueding

Fixture
If I were to exploit machines, I would focus on people that are more lax about updates. Not only does this mean I could use an older exploit, but that the user would be less likely to notice. You also must consider that MS will EOL IE6 sometime soon, and then you will need IE7 to be patched at all.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I put IE 7 on. I'm agnostic as regards its security - might be better, might be worse - but it's better to get the install out of the way and (as per our everday routine) switch off the inbuilt search (sends you to unknown, unguessable, and hence dangerous locations), delete all the IE shortcuts on the desktop and other places (leaving only the one in start/programs for the truly pig-headed who insist), and make one of the modern browsers the default (not letting IE grab default status back again).

Otherwise, the brainless user (yes, we have some not-too-bright ones) will, sooner or later, get tired of being nagged by Windows Update and install IE7, thus getting hammered with IE shortcuts, IE searches, and IE as the default browser once again. You know what happens after that: a month or two later, the machine is back having all the spyware removed.

Better to head trouble off before it starts.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tech newsletters are recommending installing IE 7 for security, but using Firefox for browsing.

I installed IE7 today. So far it hasn't mangled anything. As Tannin said, might as well get it out of the way.

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks mubs. I have still been procrastinating this upgrade. Maybe I'll do it now since it seems to be safer than leaving IE 6 on my system.