Intel i845G reported to be very fast according to Dumb Tom.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
In fact, it's according to Frank Völkel. In this recent article, he reported impressive results for a DDR P4 chipset when he compared the soon-to-be-released i845G against the SiS 645DX.

Anyone else has heard about similar hype regarding the i845G? Or is it just Tom smoking too much (again) and being bribed by Chipzilla?

James

Storage is cool
Re: Intel i845G reported to be very fast according to Dumb T

CougTek said:
Anyone else has heard about similar hype regarding the i845G? Or is it just Tom smoking too much (again) and being bribed by Chipzilla?
Dunno. But there's nothing that annoys me more in hardware reviews than paragraphs like "The SiSoft Sandra 2002 Pro Memory Benchmark shows the exact bandwidth of the various memory modules. However, we cannot vouch for these figures in practice."

So - it's exact but inexact? Why use the benchmark at all?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I never wrote the article was good or anything close to, but the i845G is still clearly ahead of others DDR chipsets.

I didn't read much of the text, as I was sure to find parts like the one you quoted. Besides, the simple fact of using PC Mark as a benchmark already put enough discredit on the reviewer without having to read anything else, don't you think?

My query is more about the i845G than about the article itself.