Intel i960 single channel, AMI, Perc/2, raid cards? Any good

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I've got a chance to possibly get a couple of these cards, cheap.

Are they any good?

Is it an LVD or UW scsi card, and, how do they work?

Gary, are these the cards you use?

Thanks

gs

PS they come with 16 mb of ram

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Ultra2 Wide. i960 is an awfully slow CPU for a RAID card at this point. You really want a high-end card with a StrongARM if you can find one.

ICP Vortex cards are nice. Look for one of those.

Platform

Learning Storage Performance
Re: Intel i960 single channel, AMI, Perc/2, raid cards? Any

. . · .
Santilli said:
Hi
I've got a chance to possibly get a couple of these cards, cheap.

Are they any good?

Is it an LVD or UW scsi card, and, how do they work?

Gary, are these the cards you use?

Thanks

gs

PS they come with 16 mb of ram

Aren't the PERC/2 RAID host adaptors for use in mobos that have dedicated slots for these cards? I've never used or even seen these RAID host adaptors, but I believe these have a single Ultra2 SCSI channel.

The AMI RAID host adaptors that I've used over the years have been the various Enterprise RAID host adaptors, the Enterprise 1200, Enterprise 1400, and Enterprise 1600, as well as the Elite 1600.

. . · .

James

Storage is cool
I've used a couple such cards on Dell 2U rackmounts, although the ones I used may be specific to Dells.

They are a thoroughly unexciting RAID card. The only claim to fame of the ones I used is that they have an onboard PCMCIA ISDN/POTS modem (56K/64K) and a port on the back to plug the phone line into (obviously). You can phone them up and get diagnostics from the machine, even if it is blue screening or has lost power (the board has a battery on it that runs the modem). This may or may not work on other boxes, I don't know.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
GARY, HELP!!!

I think what makes these cards nice is the ability to use two, or more, without problems???

gs

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
You should be able to use 2 or more of any high end RAID card. You can even use more than 2 crappy Promise cards, if I am not mistaken.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
YOu are mistaken, at least with the Promise 33 cards, even..

though promiseless said you could use more than one...
gs

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I just checked out the Adaptec site to see if I could find out if you can have multiple RAID controllers installed at the same time.

I couldn't find info on any of the new SCSI RAID cards. The older AAA cards do not support more than 1 controller at a time.

I did find that more than one Adaptec ATA RAID 2400A can be installed at the same time.

Considering that new new Adaptec ATA RAID card is similar to the newer SCSI RAID cards I would think that more than one can be installed at a time. But, who knows if this is actually the case.

I'm not sure if that link will work, it looks really long and weird...

I checked out several of the other the Tekram and LSI Logic sites and could not find any information about using multiple RAID controllers. Maybe we are just supposed to guess if this will work or not. If this is actually an issue that matters to you, then e-mail tech support and ask them if more than one controller will work at a time.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't know if this is true for other SCSI controllers, since all I buy is Adaptec (it's a name thing, the same reason I stick with RedHat for Linux installations), but on Adaptec cards, any controller with the same chipset will share the same IRQ. I've seen machines with a pair of 2940s and a 2910 (external only), all hanging on IRQ9.

My "big" linux box has a 2940UW and an IBM ServerRAID (AIC7996) on the same IRQ, too.

One thing I've never tried, though, is to use the second SCSI card in a non bus-mastering slot. I wonder if it could be handled through the other card.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Tests so far...

I've installed the card, hooked up a couple 7200 rpm drives, and, with max settings, ended up with about 30 mb sec reads, and, about 10 mb sec writes.

With minimal settings, and the 16 mb cache, in raid 0, the same setup goes into cache reads, with about 60 mb/sec larger block reads, and still 10 mb/sec writes.

Overall, this card, with a couple legacy scsi drives, looks like a great boot card, under 2000, for relatively no money...

gs