intel P4 @ 3675MHz!

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Guys, these solutions are out of this world... I wouldn't risk with anything this custom-made...
Better try VapoChill.

Handruin

Administrator
I know it's for some kind of record and I generally think it is interesting to see the CPU at that speed. But, why bother going through all that trouble of using liquid nitrogen?

I think a more obtainable and useful record would be if they could manage to run the machine consistently for extended periods of time.

Oh well, back to my cave.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
No need to go back to your cave because I'm pretty sure there are more than persons agreeing with you.

I'm the second. :wink:

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
more than... one... persons...
(sorry)

Running a PC 24/7 is lots more important IMO.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Pretty useless for a PC but for those who have time and money in their hands it cool. I know I would if I had the time & money. Sure beats snorting coke up ones nose as more and more people seem to be doing. :mrgrn:

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Just like those who modify cars to the very extreme, they surely can't drive those every day without overhauling the engine every two minutes but hey, if they can why not?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
A stable system that runs 24/7/365 is more interesting, and in some ways more challenging. Of course, you can't be running Windows........ :roll:

Bozo :D

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Bozo said:
A stable system that runs 24/7/365 is more interesting, and in some ways more challenging. Of course, you can't be running Windows........
Err, what if I ran exactly that? :wink:
Seriously. My PC runs 24/7. I only turn it off once per week (for a couple of hours) because I'm afraid of the 24/7-running HD syndrome...

I'm server (ICS) to my housemate's computer. Can't be offline.

Windows XP on a VIA chipset. Killing combination, ehh? This is live proof that it's all about configuring the PC in the right way; albeit what Mercutio, CougTek, and other Windows-haters say...

Feel free to :boom: me...

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Certified Windows hater here.

Even I would have to admit that, if you are running NT 4 or higher, you can make a Windows box decently stable. I rebooot my W2K box about once a week. My OS/2 boxes, of course, tend to run for months at a time - six months or more is not unusual - and I believe that it's quite common for a Free BSD box to have an up-time measured in years.

But these days Windows can be perfectly usable, stability-wise. Hell, if they can squeeze another couple of improvements and double their average up-time just twice more over the next year or two, they will have taken only ten years to catch up to where OS/2 was in 1993.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Stability also depends on what software you install. Video Codecs can sometimes be destructive too (explorer can crash if you have the preview pane on the left switched on).

Some times I install Windows (most of the time thats when I get a new mobo) and after a couple of weeks various instabilities show up. But most of the time it works perfectly. I cannot remember when my machine (AMD/VIA/Win2k SP2) crashed last time... if ever. Its pretty undercooled too (for the sake of quietness) and that doesn't seem to have affected stability.

There used to be a time years ago when even NT pissed me off and was crashing every so often but 2k is great... I always end up having uptimes of a week or so before I have to restart due to some software installation, driver, or something else like that. My maximum uptime has been 22 days I think (dual P3-450). Again, I had to restart because of something irrelevant.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
It's the "something irrelevants" that get you. Every time. Below, my list of the most common "something irrelavants" that have caused me to do an otherwise unintended reboot. (Numbered just because I like lists with numbers in them, not in any particular order.)

1: Oh. I thought that was the printer power cable.

2: Motherboard upgrade.

3: Spend 20 minutes on a Windows NT box. Switch over to one of my OS/2 boxes. Decide, for some reason, to inspect the list of running processes. Press Control-alt-del. Damn!@# (I should explain, for the youngsters, that once upon a time, CAD always meant "restart right now, and don't argue". I firmly believe that the only reason Microsoft chose to break this convention when they introdiced Windows NT (apart from the fact that they just like breaking perfectly good conventions anyway) was because if they could get people into the habit of pressing CAD to logon, then they would be constantly rebooting their OS/2 systems. There are any number of third-party patches, hacks and utilities to remove the sudden death CAD, but I don't bother with them. Usually, I just remember which OS I am using. Except when I forget.)

4: I'll just reach down and press the floppy eject button. Damn! That was the reset switch!

5: Ran out of RAM, shipment didn't arrive on time, so I walk round the office downgrading all my own machines.

6: There is a customer system at the front of the workshop job queue. "David", I say, "I wouldn't plug that machine in if I were you. I think there is something wrong with the ...." (phone goes dead, lights go out, A/C system stops, alarm system starts beeping, the sad sound of 17 hard drives slowly spinning down) "..... power supply".

7: Putting the main server, which lives in a cupboard, too close to the front. Then, when you are finished doing that little job (slipping a CD into the drive, maybe) you close the cupboard door and it triggers the ATX power switch.

8: RAM shipment finally arrived, so I walk round the office with a handful of DIMMs, upgrading all our machines again.

9: Cat stood on the protruding double adaptor that leads to the extension cord that leads to the powerboad that supplies the juice to my home computer. Yes, really! It's happened twice now.

10: CAD, CAD, CAD. Why won't you shut down? Oh bugger! Wrong keyboard.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The last of those happens to me from time to time.
I also had to duct tape my ups-es to the wall. My boy cat found out recently that I like to "play" after he puts his paws between the oddly shaped UPS plug and the wall, then rolls away from the wall. *beep beep beep* "damn cat I'm gonna..."

Anyway the official microsoft explanation for CAD is that it clears memory and provides a protection from viruses. I don't buy it but it must be mentioned in every book about NT I've ever read.

Stereodude

Not really a
Where's my "hello, and welcome to last week" graphic?

This was news a few months ago when it was first done. As you'll see from the top of the page this is months old.

Stereodude

Handruin

Administrator
My W2K workstation at work is usually up for 4-5 months at a time. The last time it was down was due to a power failure in the building. I've never had an issue with it. The only time I had to force reboot it was due to a network issue, which caused my box to hang. Something happened to a router, which caused havoc on my workstation.

I'm happy with the stability of W2K.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Handruin said:
I'm happy with the stability of W2K.
Same here for Windows XP. And I've used all kinds of software and hardware configurations.

Everything works fine. Maybe I'm lucky? Mayhaps... I don't care. I'm lucky. 8)

Barry K. Nathan

What is this storage?
Mercutio said:
Anyway the official microsoft explanation for CAD is that it clears memory and provides a protection from viruses. I don't buy it but it must be mentioned in every book about NT I've ever read.

That doesn't quite sound right. Let me see if I can do a better job of explaining...

CAD as used by NT (and optionally 2000/XP) is, to put it in generic terms, a Secure Attention Key (SAK). AFAIK, the idea is that it should not be possible for anything outside the OS to intercept a SAK keypress or to tamper with the code that's run when the SAK is pressed. This is supposed to solve the problem of an attacker presenting a fake login prompt to get other people's usernames and passwords -- if you press the SAK, you know that what comes up should be the real login screen, not an attacker's impostor.

That's the theory, anyway.

I think MS chose CAD due to some characteristic of PC hardware that made other key combos unsuitable for use as a SAK, but I don't remember the details right now.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Windows XP Pro works very well for me. Very, very stable. As for benchmarks, the best HDD benchmark is a trial run with the drive. Of course you have to buy it first to do that. EBB used to buy and return drives frequently as I recall. In my opinion, the best HDD is one that you don't even notice it's there when you're running your system. And that's pretty much what I have with my 10K IIIs. My old X15 was also a great HDD, the clicking noise was the only problem it. Otherwise I'd still have it.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Ooops! Meant to post the above in the thread about Benchmarks. As for the P4 overclock, those guys are nuts. I would imagine the board is no longer usable when it thaws out. And talk about dangerous! Liquid Nitrogen is nothing to play around with.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Liquid N is definitely some wild stuff. We use it in our Delta-Therm camera a work when looking for stresses on sheetmetal and stuff. Cool stuff. (no pun intended).

C