Intel vs. AMD? ATI vs. nVidia?

James

Storage is cool
In the interests of adventure I've decided to try Intel on a SiS chipset. I have a house full of Athlons on various platforms - several VIA and one SiS - and I'd like to expand my repetoire a little.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
FWIW the new 533mhz fsb single cpu P4 boards from Asus now support hyper-threading. GF4 is the way to go for a graphics adapter.

James

Storage is cool
Bill,

Thanks. I can live without hyperthreading I think, although it is a neat technology. I'm buying a GF4 Ti4200, it'll be a big upgrade (well, at least in benchmarks!) from my GF2 GTS.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
good move James. have you thought about which GF4 you're going to buy? i'd recommend either a Leadtek, Triplex or Gainward card. the Leadtek is probably the best constructed (and bundled) of the three but all are good stable cards and overclock very well, especially the 64MB ones.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I've had an excellent experience from my leadtek geforce 3.

The only thing I dont like about it is the custom bootup screen... little too flashy for me... plus I really dont need to see the gfx board count the memory..lol... a simple white text on black background saying I have a geforce3 is sufficient.

I tried to flash the firmware for the card but failed... I got CRC errors when trying to flash my custom firmware onto the card.