Internet DNS issues

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm setting up another domain for an existing client.

tomssiteservices.com

(horribly long, I know, I didn't pick it out)

At present all I want is e-mail, directed to our exchange server. For easy maintenance, I keep the exchange server at donchapin.dyndns.org and redirect all the MX records there. I also set up mail.domainname.com to point to the current IP address. I also add the domain name to the "recipient policies" list on the server and add the accounts.

All the domains are working with the exception of the one above. The bounce-back error is as follows:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

david@tomssiteservices.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: DNS Error: DNS server returned answer with no data

Does anyone have any ideas? The DNS hasn't changed in weeks, so I'm pretty sure everything has replicated.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I see valid SOA, A and MX records when I dig your domain. Maybe dyndns.org is handling the records for that domain in a weird way. Are you using the name servers you're supposed to?

Mercutio

When I use the dig command for an MX record against your domain, the returned record is an SOA record that 1. Isn't an MX record and 2. Doesn't have any hostnames or IP addresses that might give the least clue where your mail server is.

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;tomssiteservices.com. IN MX

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
tomssiteservices.com. 10344 IN SOA dns121.a.register.com. root.register.com. 2007070310 28800 7200 604800 14400

What it should look like
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;xxxxxxx.org. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
xxxxxx.org. 14400 IN MX 0 mx1.balanced.randy.mail.dreamhost.com.
xxxxxx.org. 14400 IN MX 0 mx2.balanced.randy.mail.dreamhost.com.

In other words, your nameserver isn't returning a response to MX queries, whether it's there or not.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks for the time to investigate and inform, Merc.

Wonderful. I'm using the web interface for DNS management, and it looks good from there. How frustrating. I can only hope that deleting the line and adding it again does the trick. Other suggestions?

Mercutio

Email your host's support service. They probably use an automated tool to create DNS entries and it's possible that those tools failed or were interrupted in this case.