Internet Eexplorer 6 Service Pack ---> 1 <--- Soon

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
Microserfs toiling away under the fluorescent lighting of a god-forsaken data dungeon in Redmond... "We need to get SP-1 for IE 6 out in the coming week or so, maybe like the week of 16/September or maybe even a little bit earlier if uncle Bill says so."

GIANT

Hmmm.... propbably a lot of fixes for E-commerce, right???, like allegedly better SSL?

Platform

Heeheehee! Probably even got ready-to-go hooks in place for that damn WMP 9 they've been playing with and certainly every single previously-released security updates and maybe a couple of new ones.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't know in details what's your position and who are your contacts Gary, but you seem to be pretty well positioned for everything that touches Microsoft. Sometimes, I'm surprised you live in Houston and not Redmont...

It's great to have you around.

Splash

I'm nothing more than a poet - a poet that takes liberties on spelling words like Explorer, by adding dual-"E"s to the beginning -- Eexplorer. :oops:

No, wait a second! I'm a dolphin, a beer-drinking dolphin. You'll never catch me in Redmond, because the waters of Redmond are too cold. I like warm waters, the type of waters that hurricanes like (as the wind howls and the waves explode outside ). I am just a common beer-drinking, clairvoyant, ...dolphin.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
You forget, CougTek, that MSFT has numerous campuses around the world. I know at least one such campus exists in Texas. I thought it was in Austin, but they could also have one in Houston as well. In any event, Gary could just be a IT guy who subscribes to various MSFT programs for developers / admins / consultants / etc.

"Bwahahaha! Fools!" Gary laughs as he reads these ridiculous musings on his work.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Guys, guys. Gary is much too classy a gent to work for scum like Microsoft.

Nope, Gary works for a large, honest, and if my guess is right, a very worthwhile organisation.

s69_39961.jpg

If not the people that play with little toys like the one in the picture, then maybe a major subcontractor. Hey - what else is there in Houston that's worth sticking around for?

Explorer

If you are using the Windows version of Internet Explorer 6.0 and you have applied SP-3 for Windows 2000 or SP-1 for Windows XP, you already have *most* of IE6/SP-1 installed -- especially in the case of WinXP/SP-1.

Those microserfs have been working on the SP-1 version of IE6 for so long that it's not even a bit funny. This is what happens when project managers put features (capabilities) in front of more practical things like security, and now you play incessant catch-up.

Explorer

Well, all I can say is they finally got the &@$% thing out the door!

So, now, maybe one is thinking that IE 7.0 couldn't be too far away. Well, think again. MS is certainly not showing an IE 7.0 or really even talking about it at this point, but the "informed" rumourmill has an IE 7.0 coming out about this time next year or even a bit later. What might very well happen about half way or later between now and then (whenever "then" might be) could be an IE 6.0 SP-2.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Is there a place where we can download the whole thing and not the godforsaken web install turd?

TIA, Pradeep.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
You can probably use the same command line args that work with IE6 to download the whole thing. There was a big discussion on this in another thread. I'm sure someone will remember them and be so kind to tell us how to do it though.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Explorer said:
So, now, maybe one is thinking that IE 7.0 couldn't be too far away. Well, think again. MS is certainly not showing an IE 7.0 or really even talking about it at this point, but the "informed" rumourmill has an IE 7.0 coming out about this time next year or even a bit later. What might very well happen about half way or later between now and then (whenever "then" might be) could be an IE 6.0 SP-2.

What about a 6.5 like they did with 5.5? MS really needs to endow IE with MDI/single instance tabbed browsing. Being hobbled with 128 MB of RAM at work, my penchant for using 20 browser windows at the same time while PowerPoint, Excel, and Word are open causes massive swapping. I guess I could install Opera since I managed to add administrator privileges to my username, but IT would frown heavily on that, I'm sure. What I wouldn't do for another 128 MB of RAM...

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
e_dawg, are you hitting Ctrl+N for a new IE window, or opening a new instance of IE each time? Big difference in resource usage.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Pradeep said:
e_dawg, are you hitting Ctrl+N for a new IE window, or opening a new instance of IE each time? Big difference in resource usage.
Great tip Pradeep, never new that. It works like a charm!

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Ha! I've never noticed a thing, and I do both (CTRL-N or click on the icon again) pretty much at random, and often run dozens of windows. I guess that's what happens when you have an XP 1900, an X15, and 512MB of RAM just for web surfing. :wink:

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Tea said:
Ha! I've never noticed a thing, and I do both (CTRL-N or click on the icon again) pretty much at random, and often run dozens of windows. I guess that's what happens when you have an XP 1900, an X15, and 512MB of RAM just for web surfing. :wink:

A positive effect is that if an IE instance decides to crash it only takes out those windows associated with that particular instance.

Explorer

flagreen said:
Pradeep said:
Great tip Pradeep, never new that. It works like a charm!

You might also like pressing F11 (Function Key 11) to gain "real estate" for your browsing needs.

Just press F11 again to revert back to "normal" mode.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Pradeep said:

Good point, Pradeep. I do both. If it's a related topic, I usually click Ctrl + N; if it's new/unrelated, I usually click on the blue e. As you noted, I do save memory when opening new windows as opposed to new instances. But as Cliptin mentions, keeping separate instances open helps prevent losing everything when IE crashes (which happens quite often at work).

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I always hear of people having IE crash on them but I don't think I have seen IE crash on me in a couple years. Not since before 4.0 was common. It's not like I don't push it either, I usually have between 5 and 20 instances of it open on my machine.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
e_dawg said:
Pradeep said:

Good point, Pradeep. I do both. If it's a related topic, I usually click Ctrl + N; if it's new/unrelated, I usually click on the blue e. As you noted, I do save memory when opening new windows as opposed to new instances. But as Cliptin mentions, keeping separate instances open helps prevent losing everything when IE crashes (which happens quite often at work).

Well if you have the resources then seperate instances are good, as you don't lose any other windows if the browser crashes. But with 128MB ram, and Office running, you are already on the edge of resource starvation ;)

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Gary said:
Well, all I can say is they finally got the &@$% thing out the door!

Seems the prophecy will take shape:
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in Microsoft Internet Explorer 6. This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 2.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I noticed there was a download for Win 2003 IE6 the other day, for the app itself, and not just a specific issue. Perhaps it was a comulutaive big patch, I forget now.