Interview prospective peers

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Hi Everyone,

The company I work are looking at hiring a new technician to assist in support and on-site installation of our products, and I've been asked to sit in on the interview to help ascertain technical knowledge of the candidate. The candidate will be working directly with me, so essentially will be an equal peer if hired.

Rather than asking questions about random facts on the technology we focus on (MS SBS, MS SQL, IIS), I would rather determine the candidates problem solving ability, how quickly they can learn new concepts and whether they have the 'geek-gene' or not?

The reasoning is that we have TechNet, Google, man pages and the like to help find the information we need (when we don't know the solution), and there is no way any one person can remember everything about everything in particular with MS products anyway. I can't expect that.

Does anyone have some examples of questions that can be asked to help determine a persons problem solving skills, especially related to MS Windows, SQL, etc.

And with the 'geek-gene', what I mean is, the person is working in IT because they love IT and have have that knack of making it work in 2-3mins, despite others spending days trying to find a solution...

PS. If you live in Brisbane, Australia and are looking for a new job as a support technician, drop me a PM and I can discuss further.

ddrueding

Fixture
I find that the best way to find out if someone likes technology is to ask questions about tech but not about work. Ask about the LHC, or something on Slashdot, or about some computer game. Find out how long they have been into computers, what their favorite <something> from the past has been, what their rig at home is like.

Handruin

Administrator
I agree with David on asking the general tech questions. I've found this helps to gain knowledge about their personal interests which tend to overlap with other quality traits. However, I was informed after some of those interviews, that I'm not supposed to ask those types of questions because apparently it puts the company at risk for law suit... I don't know what the laws are like in Brisbane, but hopefully it gives you more ability in finding suitable employees.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I would ask them to recall a scenario when they had to fix a tough problem and what steps they went through to get the problem fixed. If half the steps sound like: "well I went over and talked to the DBA and he fixed the problem with the DB server." You might want to find a more well-rounded individual.

I've done several interviews for web designer positions at my company and after asking a few semi-technical questions such as explain CSS inheritance and what's the main differences between HTML 4.01 and XHTML. It usually becomes painfully obvious whether this person has any chance of getting the job.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
At MS they ask a lot of brain teasers. The real answer doesn't matter its the analytical process of coming to any answer that matters.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
During the brief period when I had some hiring responsibilities, I asked specifically what experiences my prospects had with IT "emergency" situations and how those situations were resolved, what tasks related to past jobs they were most apprehensive about doing and their worst experience with a past IT "customer."

I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but I generally found the answers to be illuminating.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
At MS they ask a lot of brain teasers. The real answer doesn't matter its the analytical process of coming to any answer that matters.
We do a bit of that as well. Not quite the scale and extreme as MS, but a bit to see the approach they take. Sadly, a lot can't even think straight.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Everyone that interviews here has to take a 12 minute IQ test (Wonderlic). If you don't get a high enough score they conduct a mock interview with you and then send you home. I'm not sure how effective this is in screening candidates or how accurate a 12 minute written IQ test is. I would probably go with not very.

ddrueding

Fixture
Everyone that interviews here has to take a 12 minute IQ test (Wonderlic). If you don't get a high enough score they conduct a mock interview with you and then send you home. I'm not sure how effective this is in screening candidates or how accurate a 12 minute written IQ test is. I would probably go with not very.

I suspect it can tell the difference between 90 and 110. I'm just waiting until courts rule that this practice is unfair to stupid people.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Thanks for everyone's answers, they've been helpful.

Like the US we can't ask too many questions about personal stuff. But I know of a few ways to get people to volunteer information. :diablo:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I suspect it can tell the difference between 90 and 110. I'm just waiting until courts rule that this practice is unfair to stupid people.

http://professormoney.com/wonderlic sample test.htm

Pretty fun actually. Took me about 15 minutes to complete the test... most of it (perhaps 5 minutes) was on questions 11 and 13. I received 14 out of 15 correct answers... though I still contest the answer to number 5 (present/reserve) can be contradictory.

I agree, personal hobbies/interests are great and problem solving is key in almost any business, IT certainly being no exception. I remember my first real interview. The boss took me into his office and asked me to 'shoot the shit' (his words) with him. I was pretty taken back, but I got the job so I must have done something right.

I tend to value work ethic above most else. Unfortunately that is often hard to evaluate in a 1/2 hr or shorter interview, but typically becomes apparent within the first few weeks (break habits, punctuality, idle time, etc). Secondly I value performance. Again, something difficult to gauge in the short time span of an interview - though accomplishments and promotions may provide insight.

Perhaps my values are why I promote lots of feedback in the workplace, both in positive and negative forms. For myself, it's very motivational and I think many workplaces suffer from a severe lack of it.

I guess what I am suggesting is not to place too much stock in the initial interview. But instead, put in adequate effort later for peer and supervisor review and feedback.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Well, we thought we found someone, and unfortunately he didn't work out for a variety of reasons, including lack of basic knowledge (I guess he got lucky with his answers on the tech questions in the interview), had a habit of placing blame or fault on others when it was clearly himself at fault or covering up his own faults with lies, and the general tendency to tell tall tales about himself, which I personally called him out on a couple of times, and then to be accused to berating him in front of the others in the office.

So we're back to the interview process...

PS. Free beer to the first person that can explain what a "collation" is in MS SQL server, and how it impacts when setting up an SQL server and DBs that are attached to the server instance. (I've recently spoken to a MS certified DBA on SQL2005 that didn't know what a collation is). :scratch:

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Well, we've interviewed a few more people, and frankly, I've been disgusted with the level of candidates we seem to be getting from the employment agency, considering we culled 75% based on their resumes instantly. (And it's not the $$$ being offered, as we are offering about 10% above industry average for the position).

We've gone outside of the employment agency (which is under contract to find us someone) and found someone that fits the position pretty spot on after a week.

PS. I've been asking the collation question to anyone that states they have 3+yrs hands on experience with MSSQL2000/2005, and 2 while have passed the relevant MS exams on SQL server, they all failed to even get close to what the correct answer/definition was. If you're wondering why that question? Part of the role is to take part in conversions from our competitors systems to ours and often requires some special massaging and special sauce to get it working (aka decent SQL knowledge). Different collations between the DBs can cause interesting issues when migrating data from one DB into another DB! And since we work with other DBs like FoxPro, dBase, Interbase, etc, having that understanding helps as well.

Everyone interviewed had at least tertiary study in IT/CS or MCP/A+/Network+, and only 2 interviewed could describe the basic RAID levels and what performance characteristic that have!

One of the questions, which always gets an interesting response is: What components make up your primary home PC, and why did you choose those components? 1 guy couldn't even remember if he was running AMD or Intel CPU! Another stated he had a Dual AMD Opteron 3800, w/AMD-8151 chipset based motherboard and using a 8800GTX PCIe video card. (AMD-8151 is an AGP chipset).

Even down to the point of asking the differences between IDE and SCSI, stumped some of the candidates. (I know were all SATA and SAS these days, but there's a lot of IDE and SCSI kit out there installed with our customers).

I did make sure though, that all the technical questions were covered in the current A+, and were not 'fun facts' type questions, and the questions/answered vetted by 2 other techs in the company. (We all agreed that such knowledge was a base requirement). What I mean by 'fun facts' questions, are questions like: What the command line argument, when using ping only to send 1 ping request? That's what ping /? (or man ping) is for. I only asked fundamental architecture questions, or questions that will effect the foundation of a particular server setup, eg RAID levels. which you expect any decent tech to know and understand.

Handruin

Administrator
Hands on experiences with specific products is certainly relative to what a person does at their job. I've been working with SQL server 2000/2005 for over 3 years hands on and I don't know most of the details related to collation functionality of the product or anything beyond using the default collation (which I can't even remember the name off the top of my head). I'd suspect there is a lot of details I don't know about the product since I have so many other things I also have to spend time on.

What about contracting out to a DBA that might be more focused with the SQL server products to get that specific part of your job done, and done with someone who knows the product very well?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Are you seriously going to be asking your SQL developer to swap out desktop hard drives or configure RAID on servers? Deciding what RAID level to put the databases on is a very low level decision that doesn't happen very often for a SQL programmer.

I can't even remember what model laptop I'm using right now and I don't even have a computer at home. And I build Citrix farms and program routers every day. Maybe you think about diversifying your skillsets as a group.

Answer me this, were there any of the guys that you kind of liked personally?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
OK, I'm calm now.

You should ask your interviews what is the most interesting thing they have made SQL server do. Ask what other DBs they have converted data from.

You may want to look at a contract to hire situation.

Handruin

Administrator
You got all hot and bothered there for a minute Howell, you ok? :)

I didn't want to admit it, but when I read how the guys got drilled for what components were in their systems...I couldn't remember what chipset is on motherboard without looking it up.

Mercutio

If you work in IT, you should have an understanding of fundamental technology. That's why the COMPTIA A+/Network+/Server+ certs are important and relevant, even if any seasoned pro looks at their content and laughs.

And yes, a DBA should have some knowledge of RAID and networking technology, as it has undeniably effects on the overall performance of their database. I've seen utter wrongness like large (50GB large, anyway) database systems implemented and stored on a $1000 consumer NAS setup.

Or my recent favorite (no offense to Handy here), a friend of mine whose EMC sales engineer set up an iSCSI system by configuring the individual disks as a Windows SoftRAID.

There's some clueless people out there.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I think its pretty ridiculous to ask a DBA to memorize and understand something that is

1. fundamentally different from what they do everyday and
2. a rare occurrence to begin with

A complete waste of talent and company resources. You can not be both broad and deep and be good at both. And trying is a recipe for burnout.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
You got all hot and bothered there for a minute Howell, you ok? :)

I didn't want to admit it, but when I read how the guys got drilled for what components were in their systems...I couldn't remember what chipset is on motherboard without looking it up.

Yeah, yeah I'm fine. : ) In business it is a lot harder to find people you can tolerate working with than it is to find people with the technical ability. A lot harder.

Had I been an interviewee there would not have been a question who the idiots were in the room.

Mercutio

A complete waste of talent and company resources. You can not be both broad and deep and be good at both. And trying is a recipe for burnout.

Just as biologists are made to take a semester of physics courses, there are some fundamentals to IT. I wouldn't expect a DBA to understand, say, subnetting or device driver development, but I really would want a DBA to have a working knowledge of basic computer technologies, operating system characteristics and factors that play in to overall performance of database systems.

Furthermore, I'd rather deal with someone who has a broader interest in technology than someone who is just paying the bills so they can go home at night and watch American Idol.

ddrueding

Fixture
Furthermore, I'd rather deal with someone who has a broader interest in technology than someone who is just paying the bills so they can go home at night and watch American Idol.

This last bit is really important. I remember when the only people in the business were geeks. Now I know a number of people who do IT "for the money". When did that start? When did we start making that much money? When did any decent geek job include 9-5 and a good paycheck?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I think there may have been a misunderstanding somewhere. We're certainly not after a full-time DBA, but a good installation technician for our the companies software and supplied hardware.

Sure, part of the role is deploying MS SQL server, including data conversions from competitors systems. Other parts include setting up servers (Win2K/2K3 and SBS 2K3) as file servers or application servers, setting up domains (AD), as well as general sys-admin type stuff including doing some of the normal level 2-3 help desk stuff.

We average 1 installation every fortnight (for our branch office), which typically includes setting up a server (normally SBS or Win2K3), installation of software, deployment of 10-20 desktops, etc. SQL Server is a very small component, however someone who has a MS Cert in both MS SQL Server 2000 and 2005 should know that the default collation was changed between the two versions, and possibly know what the default setting was for each. It's one of the required options/settings when installed MS SQL Server. (We need the SQL2000 default if you're interested). If someone has v.limited knowledge of MS SQL or no knowledge of MS SQL, I certainly wouldn't be asking what a collation was, as they wouldn't know and I wouldn't expect them to know. Some of the questions (like the collation one) were aimed at gaging the accuracy of one's resume or the level of knowledge they possessed in the area of interest.

The questions on what someone is running at home, as Merc says, is to find out their general IT interest. I wouldn't care if someone said they were running a Dell XPS system, that's fine. However if they happily state they built their own gaming system, I think it's a reasonable question to find out what they have. Merc is exactly right, there are a lot of individuals working as IT Professionals who are in it for the money. While we could appreciate that, they certainly don't make good technicians. If you're interviewing someone for a technical role, would you prefer someone that lived/breathed PCs, or someone who shows up for a paycheck?

All the people we interview except 2 were nice individuals and would happily have a drink with down at the pub after work, but when they state 5 years SQL 2000 experience (administrating 10's of installations at a time), I would expect them to know about installation, disaster recovery options and maintenance plans. Wouldn't you? Since you mention you deal with Citrix Farms, wouldn't it be fair for you to know the underlying disk architecture and how/why it was setup up that way? Or in the case of routers, know about subnets, and how routing actually works in IPv4 and IPv6 (in the case you needed IPv6).

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
This last bit is really important. I remember when the only people in the business were geeks. Now I know a number of people who do IT "for the money". When did that start? When did we start making that much money? When did any decent geek job include 9-5 and a good paycheck?

DD, it happened during the first IT boom, and then all these IT educators that run the boot-camps have continued to foster the idea among the general population.

I know the pay I'm on is a little better than the true average for my position, but it's still not that great that I can retire on by the age of 30.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Dead Thread is alive again

Well, one of my co-workers has decided to leave and has left a vacancy to fill. (He leaving to become a manager at an ISP - he'll be in charge of all the internal infrastructure and internal services).

We just interviewed an applicant with a Master Information Systems (Networking) which was completed last year (at a popular University), and has a MCSE2003. He has worked for Microsoft as a product specialist in SBS2003, has completed the MS Exams for installing/configuring Vista and has his MSSQL2005 certification. The applicant looks *really* good on paper.

During the interview, could not explain what the OSI model for networking was**, had trouble describing some network protocols (like IMCP, IP, BGP), admitted has zero knowledge of IPv6, had no idea on RAID levels, had trouble naming the different versions of SBS2003 (std, premium) and MSSQL server (express, standard, workgroup, etc), and didn't know what WAIK was?

** For the OSI model, the answer I wanted was: The model described the different levels on which a network stack (within the OS) is made of, and describes the functions that each level do. If they mentioned it had 7 layers, and that the bottom was the physical layer and it flowed up to the top application layer, then the better. (I don't expect anyone to know the 7 layers off by heart, but they should know what the model is).

Do you think it would be a good choice to hire this person? I think not...

PS. WAIK = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Automated_Installation_Kit
PPS. OSI model = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

ddrueding

Fixture
Doesn't sound promising to me, but some people just don't interview well. Thanks to virtualization, I've switched to lab-based interviews.

1. Create an environment
2. Break it
3. Show candidate at least one symptom

See what happens. Google is of course allowed.

For many geek positions that aren't managerial or customer-facing, communication skills are not necessary.

Mercutio

I'll admit that I don't know much about the ramifications of implementing IPv6. It's not relevant to reality unless you're an ISP.

Routing protocols on the level you're describing are subject matter for the Network+ exam, and as I said in an earlier post in this thread, there's a reason why we want pros to know that stuff.

WAIK is something I wouldn't expect someone who primarily deals with SBS2003 to know about since, by its nature it's useful for large, organized deployments, and if you're at the point where you're doing those, you probably aren't an Small Business environment.

Also, Microsoft's tech for automated deployments have changed three times in the last ten years: Windows 2000, Server 2003R2 and Server 2008 all handle it slightly differently, and the Microsoft Exams for Server 2003 all still address the Server 2000 way of doing things (yes, really). Even expecting a Microsoftie to be up on that stuff might not be entirely fair, since Microsoft isn't the only game in town for doing deployments. It'd probably be better to ask the guy how he'd handle them given the opportunity to plan one. From personal experience I can say the current setup with .VHDs is really slick but in my environment they just don't work.

On the other hand, not knowing basic sales engineer crap is just inexcusable.

Last edited:

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Tea/Tannin: ROFL!!!

I found it strange he had no idea on WAIK, especially since he has passed the Vista Install/Configure exam, which does include WAIK. (admittedly not in depth, but he should have know what it was, as you use WAIK to build installer CD/DVD/USB images on Vista and Win7).

And it was strange he didn't know IPv6 at all for a few reasons - He majored in a Degree that focused on Networking, which he completed last year. I'm doing a advanced IPv4 course now, and it includes basics on IPv6 in the final course topic? And not knowing what the OSI model is, is simply in-excusable, since it's covered in so many courses I have done (A+, Network+, heck, it was in my Installing and Implementing Windows 2000 Server course), and would have been covered as a first day topic on any networking course.

Mind you I could have been an asshole and asked what the default port IO and IRQs are for an ECP Printer port in a standard AT setup, or what the default IO, IRQ and DMA channel is a Sound Blaster 2, or to describe the differences between SCSI-1 and SCSI-3. But I'm not much of a bastard, and wanted to focus on asking questions to gauge the accuracy of ones resume/qualifications and their level of knowledge. eg Don't say you know stuff at an expert level, when you simple read an article in the Financial Times.

He have interviewed a few other people. 1 was quite good, but said the travel/overtime requirement didn't suite their family lifestyle/requirements, another lied severely on his resume (couldn't produce a copy of his MCP/MCSE transcript, nor even describe the MCSE program/subjects he undertook), and another who has potential but has no hands-on in the field experience with Windows Server. So we are still looking...

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
Mind you I could have been an asshole and asked what the default port IO and IRQs are for an ECP Printer port in a standard AT setup, or what the default IO, IRQ and DMA channel is a Sound Blaster 2, or to describe the differences between SCSI-1 and SCSI-3.
Hey, ECP uses a DMA channel also! IIRC 378,7,1

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
(various questions)

WAIK I have never heard of it.

OSI is another three letter acronym I have never heard of.

IPv6 uses bigger numbers than IPv4. That constitutes my entire knowledge of the subject.

Mind you I could have been an asshole and asked what the default port IO and IRQs are for an ECP Printer port in a standard AT setup, or what the default IO, IRQ and DMA channel is a Sound Blaster 2, or to describe the differences between SCSI-1 and SCSI-3.

Printer port addresses: 378 for LPT1: 278 for LPT2. IRQs were not generally required with modern (i.e., post ~1985) operating systems and could be shared at a pinch, but were almost always IRQ 7 for LPT1 and IRQ 5 for LPT2.

SCSI Frankly, this is not a very sensible question. SCSI-1 and SCSI-3 took place in different eras and share very little except purpose. It's a bit like asking what the difference is between a floppy disc and gigabit ethernet. Nevertheless, I shall attempt an answer. SCSI-1 was an early attempt to interface a wide range of different devices, most notably hard drives, in a reasonably standard and (by the standards of the day) fast and reliable manner. It was very successful indeed, and gave way in the early/mid-1990s to a range of new, faster standards collectively known as SCSI-2. SCSI-3 aimed at being more of the same, and was to a certain extent, but it covered a huge range of different standards and devices, and SCSI was in any case nearing the end of its useful life as a mainstream product at that stage.

Sound Blasters used IRQ 5 by default and DMA 1. Can't remember the IO channel, but you didn't have to know it anyway. In general, if you could find a free IRQ you were good to go.

I don't do on-site jobs or overtime unless it's an emergency, don't own a tie, let alone a suit, and generally answer to "you old bastard". Can I have the job now?

Last edited:

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I'm just sitting here laughing myself silly at you and Tannin, Chewy. Did you deliberately craft those two sets of questions so that he wouldn't have a clue about the first lot and could do the second lot in his sleep?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Sound Blasters used IRQ 5 by default and DMA 1. Can't remember the IO channel

IO port 220.

And it was fun seeing someone trying to work out their trusty old SB2 didn't work in their new 486 mainboard, due to both the onboard ECP port and the SB2 using the same DMA channel!

Oh, the good old days when to configure a device you used DIP switches or jumpers, and to overclock you set jumpers on the mainboard or on even attempting to solder on a new crystal timer... but that would overclock everything including the ISA bus.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I'm just sitting here laughing myself silly at you and Tannin, Chewy. Did you deliberately craft those two sets of questions so that he wouldn't have a clue about the first lot and could do the second lot in his sleep?

Admittedly, no I didn't. But it does show who has been around a while, playing in this IT game.