iPad 2 partially corrupted display

ddrueding

Fixture
This just landed on my desk. When held in portrait mode, the right 1/3rd of the screen is perfect, with the left 2/3 "streaked" horizontally. The entire screen is still responsive to touch input.

The user claims that this has happened before and magically fixed itself after a time. I have tried a hard reset (home and power for 10+ seconds) numerous times without any change.

Thoughts?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Sounds like hardware to me. Try to find an exploded view of disassembly and push on the area of the screen. On the phone the screen header is near the top, but I don't know about the pad.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That's a fucked up screen and a user not willing to admit that they dropped it.
One of my friends' iphones did something almost identical after she threw it at a wall.

ddrueding

Fixture
So we think this is a hardware issue? The user has already purchased an iPad3 as a replacement, but would like to get this working as well.

Mercutio

One of my friends' iphones did something almost identical after she threw it at a wall.

I may have added a bit more emphasis this time.

Mercutio

$70 for a screen assembly and probably 90 minutes of your time the first time you take one apart, if my iphone experiences even remotely have any bearing.

Mercutio

I just replaced the whole LCD. It was a PITA, though I think doing the headphone jack and related assembly was actually worse, which is a big part of why I just bought a new phone when my old one started messing up.

Doing phone/tablet stuff is mostly just a matter of patience and record keeping about screws, but just like dealing with laptops, it's unlikely that anyone sees so many of the same thing that it actually gets easy unless doing those repairs is all one does.