Irony at its finest

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I make sure to only store pr0n on my Western Digital hard drive. While this could be a devastating loss, it is nothing like losing personal photographs or MP3s.

Mercutio

Why do you hate your pr0n, timwhit?

Of course, when that drive dies, let me know. I can donate 250GB of replacement pictures and movies to replace the loss. :)

I will admit that I have a WD 250GB SATA drive at the moment. One of my students bought it not realizing that his PC didn't have any SATA ports. I swapped him a 160GB Samsung for it. I can't for the life of me decide what to do with it.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Aparently, this Class Action is not because of hard drive failures, but because the advertised capacity did not match the usable size of the hard drive.

Bozo :mrgrn:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I like crappy WD SATA hard drives...

Pr0n is so easy to obtain with Bittorrent that I could fill a huge drive in a matter of days.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
250GB :eek: How can there be so much available? What do you have Merc, 50TB by now?

Mercutio

Total for all drives is probably 14TB or so, but a lot of it is mirrored data. I'd like to replace my 250GB drives en masse, but that would be kind of expensive.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Mercutio said:
Total for all drives is probably 14TB or so, but a lot of it is mirrored data. I'd like to replace my 250GB drives en masse, but that would be kind of expensive.

It's a shame you didn't buy five $109.00 400GB Seagates when fry's was offering: It would have replaced 2TB relatively inexpensively. Regardless, if you wait long enough, HD prices always drop and capacities always rise.

ddrueding

Fixture
P5-133XL said:
Mercutio said:

It's a shame you didn't buy five $109.00 400GB Seagates when fry's was offering: It would have replaced 2TB relatively inexpensively. Regardless, if you wait long enough, HD prices always drop and capacities always rise.

PATA Yick.

Mercutio

I probably would've jumped if the drives had been Hitachi or Samsung.
As it stands, the 400GB Samsung drive is a very reasonable $145 or so. That's still a lot of money when you want to replace 24 drives.

Personally I don't see a problem with PATA. I just want capacity.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I don't see any problem with PATA -- They are just as reliable, just as fast ... Now I will agree that perpendicular recording will speed things up, slightly and newer drives tend to be slighly faster than older drives (regardless of interface) but the gains are really not signifigent.

When replacing 45TB, there really is nothing to do but bite the bullet: It's gonna cost. Unless, they all have to be identical because of RAID requirements or some such issue, then my philosophy would be buy when they're cheap and do it over time.

I really don't see any advantage of Hitachi over Seagate. Matter of fact, I really try to avoid Hitachi (mainly because they tend to be hotter) like WD or Maxtor (These brands just tend to be junk). My understanding of Samsung is that as size goes up, reliability goes down with the optimum being 160GB. Their 250+ GB drives just aren't as good. As a brand, I rather like Seagate drives...

Me, I'm replacing my 250's with 400-500's; my 120's with the 250's; my 80's with my 120's; my 45's with my 80's and junking anything that I don't like along the way. Not everything is being replaced to gain size: Often I'm combining multiple drives into a single larger drive. If for no other reason, than getting rid of a controller or to improve cooling: It's all good stuff.

I am also carefully looking into replacing a couple of my 2500+ XP Bartons, that have become somewhat unreliable, with either dual core dual Opterons (F socket) or a couple dual core Woodcrest Xeon's. I'm eagerly antisipating the results of that particular race which should play out later in the year. Just replacing two machines should double my folding output...

Mercutio

I haven't noticed any particular problem with bigger Samsung drives. I have lots of 250GB units.

Generally the "least reliable" Samsung units I'm aware of have been 80GB 2MB cache models, but even those I think I've RMA'd four out of about 350 over a three year period.

The Hitachi 7k250 and 7k400 SATA versions are distinctly warmer than PATA variants in my experience. Hitachi drives have been excellent for me since I started buying them though.

I'm at the point now where basically the smallest drives I have are 160GB and about 80% of my storage is on 250GB disks.

I'd really like to get to a point where I can maintain redundant, lossless duplicates of every CD and DVD I own on-line. I figure that will ultimately require around 120TB of disks. In today's terms that would be be about $80,000 worth of disks. I have a long way to go.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
With that level of storage requirements, it might be considerably cheaper to invest in large scale DVD changers as your prefered storage media and a DVD/CD duplicator to create DVD/CD redundancy. It won't have the cool factor of 120TB of storage but it won't cost as much either.

Mercutio

At the moment I'm limping along with three 400 disc CD changers and three 400 disc DVD changers. :)
Indexing those is kind of a pain, though.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The biggest problem with consolidating drives: Microsoft products have decided that they need to re-validate...