Is Firefox 1.0.1 sucking for anyone else?

ddrueding

Fixture
It crashes every 30 seconds, every third page I try to reach. I've tried re-downloading, uninstalling, re-installing, clearing the preferences, the registry, rebooting....nothing.

Does anyone still have a copy of v1.0? I can't find it on their web page.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
What version did you install?

There's a bug with installing ZIP builds over installer builds, causing a crash when you try to enter URLs or use the search widget. I believe that it's been fixed already, tho'.

ddrueding

Fixture
sechs said:
What version did you install?

There's a bug with installing ZIP builds over installer builds, causing a crash when you try to enter URLs or use the search widget. I believe that it's been fixed already, tho'.

Yup, actually it was installing installer builds over ZIP builds...here's the e-mail response I got from "Mozilla Quality Feedback Agent [qfa@mozilla.org]"

Dear Firefox User,

Thank you for participating in our Mozilla Quality Feedback program. Thanks to your feedback, we have developed a simple workaround to the instability problem we believe you are experiencing with Firefox 1.0.1.

If you are experiencing a crash while typing in the Firefox address bar, you can fix the problem by uninstalling Firefox 1.0.1, completely removing the Firefox program folder (probably C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox on Windows or /home/<user>/firefox-installer/ on Linux), and reinstalling Firefox 1.0.1.

To avoid this crash and other problems in the future, do not install a new version using the installer into the same folder as an older zipped installation. More information can be found at the Firefox Release Notes page: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/.

Thank you again for helping us make Firefox better.

- The Mozilla Team

This is an automated response. Please do not reply to this email. If you are still having difficulties, please seek support from one of the options at http://www.mozilla.org/support

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
They really need to try harder to get the install routines sorted. Mozilla has had problems with over the top installs since ... er ... since 0.1 or something. (Well, probably 0.11 - one can safely assume that a 0.1 build will be a fresh install, I guess.)

(Hint to the developers: it doesn't matter what you write in the readme, users will install it over the top. Deal with it. Fix the problem and move on.)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin said:
Hint to the developers: it doesn't matter what you write in the readme, users will install it over the top. Deal with it. Fix the problem and move on.

The problem was some unfortunate interaction between ZIP builds and installer builds. Generally, people are going to stick with one or the other -- and obviously, that was the hole in their testing.

The issue appears to have been fixed almost immediately and updated versions are out.