Is it paranoia to consider using a VM OS, and browser, all the time, for surfing?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I'm wondering if it's really worth the time, and effort to use a VM version of 2003 Server for my web browsing?

With Nod 32, I've yet to have more then one or two trojans get in, and, figured those out, quick.

Still, loosing this install would be a major pain, plenty of time, and a trip to Salinas.

I'm wondering if it might be worth it to just use vm 2003, or, some later version, like XP 64 for most stuff?

7 is kind of cool, but I wonder....
Other OS that work are XP pro 64 bit
2000 Pro
Ubuntu 910

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
No, I actually think of it as prudent but somewhat inconvienant mainly because occasionally you way want to download something and then you may need to transfer it to the host machine. That transfer typically can't be done directly and if it could/can (Like Windows XP mode) you effectively lose your sandbox.

ddrueding

Fixture
No, I actually think of it as prudent but somewhat inconvienant mainly because occasionally you way want to download something and then you may need to transfer it to the host machine. That transfer typically can't be done directly and if it could/can (Like Windows XP mode) you effectively lose your sandbox.

Agreed. I would do it if I cared enough to.

Sol

Storage is cool
A whole OS seems a bit heavy weight just for a browser. You could just use a minimal headless Linux install (DSL or something) in a vm and then use X11 to run Firefox with a local UI. In theory that should be a lot faster because your X server could use hardware acceleration. (I'm not sure if CygwinX does this or if you'd have to pay for an X server that did)
Plus you wouldn't have an entire desktop just for the browser.

The simplest thing to do is grab a browser appliance from VMWare and try it out.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
This might provide security against malware, but it won't provide any security against social engineering attacks. Are you planning on wiping your vm every time you use it and starting fresh?

You could just use vmware or virtual box to boot a linux live image, this way there is nothing to write to and you don't need to worry about wiping anything.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
This might provide security against malware, but it won't provide any security against social engineering attacks. Are you planning on wiping your vm every time you use it and starting fresh?/QUOTE]

You can set the VM not to save any changes at shutdown.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I have VMWARE, and, in the original post, I just listed the installed OS I have on it.
Other OS that work are:
XP pro 64 bit
2000 Pro

I deleted Ubuntu for password reasons last night.

It originally started as a way to play old games, but, that didn't work very well.

It's kind of fun to boot into 2003 Server, etc. and I really enjoy the functional aspects of 2000.

Most of my downloads are done on another box, then scanned by AVAST. If I transfer them by G6, they are transfered to a file that is scanned sometimes by me, using NOD 32 Virus 4.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Why not just use Linux as your day-to-day machine for doing work if you're really concerned about viruses and malware?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I've tried that, and,I don't really feel like building a computer from the list on compatibility, though, to be real, that's what we do with 7 etc. all the time.

I usually find some really glaring issue that I can't get resolved using a Linux system, pretty much everytime I've tried it.

I like VMWARE since it gives me a chance to find out what sort of works, how it works, and what doesn't.

For instance I just installed the 64 bit Ubuntu 104, and, it doesn't recognize my keyboard, in VM. Only program that doesn't do that.

Trying the 32 bit version right now.