Is Ubuntu the nix that finally brings Linux mainstream?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I've got a spare drive and caddy for my Panasonic CF-51, and, for the first time ever, I've got a Nix based OS that actually does some basic functionality stuff, like playing a movie, watching something on youtube.com, etc.

This is a first for me, and, even though it's on a 5400 rpm drive, vs. a 7200 rpm drive, it's not noticeably slower then XP on the 7200. 1.5 gigs of ram, 1.6 ghz processor.

Anyone else using it?

What do you think?

S

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Answer: "No" (trying to gain respect of Tannin for being the model of concise and brief replies, lol)
Ubuntu runs on Mac lappy's too, many use it, nice geeky OS.

I've got a spare drive and caddy for my Panasonic CF-51, and, for the first time ever, I've got a Nix based OS that actually does some basic functionality stuff, like playing a movie, watching something on youtube.com, etc.

This is a first for me, and, even though it's on a 5400 rpm drive, vs. a 7200 rpm drive, it's not noticeably slower then XP on the 7200. 1.5 gigs of ram, 1.6 ghz processor.

Anyone else using it?

What do you think?

S

1.6Ghz, is what, very 1st gen Intel core duo, with integrated GPU?

functionality stuff, like playing a movie, watching something on youtube.com
LOL, some people don't look at those things as being important, but having a decent GPU will effect performance for those things you mention above, more so that HD speed.

Well if you could backup your 7.2k drive and then install ubuntu on a bootable partition and also XP, then you'd have a closer comparison. But then you'd need a blank OS install of each, with same partition size; fragmented, more used capacity of the XP install would put it at a disadvantage over a empty ubuntu partition.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Is Ubuntu the nix that finally brings Linux mainstream?

No. The one thing that keeps 'nix from going mainstream is installing programs. Having to go to a command prompt won't cut it for the masses.
I have Ubuntu running on VMWare server and I have yet been able to install the VMWare tools.
Another issue is connecting to the Internet. If it doesn't get it right during the OS install, it's almost imposible to make it work. This also applies to connecting to a network.

Bozo :joker:

ddrueding

Fixture
The thing that has stopped me from deploying Ubuntu in a corporate environment is the inability to niche windows applications (Street Smarts, HardDollar, etc). Things like this seem to either work in WINE or not. I suspect I'll end up retaining a WINE developer at some point to make it happen.

Once those are fixed, it would be more than worth it to dump MS completely.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The thing that has stopped me from deploying Ubuntu in a corporate environment is the inability to niche windows applications (Street Smarts, HardDollar, etc). Things like this seem to either work in WINE or not. I suspect I'll end up retaining a WINE developer at some point to make it happen.

Once those are fixed, it would be more than worth it to dump MS completely.[/QUOTE"
LOL, some people don't look at those things as being important, but having a decent GPU will effect performance for those things you mention above, more so that HD speed.

Well if you could backup your 7.2k drive and then install ubuntu on a bootable partition and also XP, then you'd have a closer comparison. But then you'd need a blank OS install of each, with same partition size; fragmented, more used capacity of the XP install would put it at a disadvantage over a empty ubuntu partition."

I learned the hard way on this one. Ubuntu and the XP, or 2003 defrager don't play nice.
The defragger screws up the nix install, and, you get to reformat, and start again. So, to put it mildly, your suggestion is horrible. Thanks anyway, though.
The other thing is I somehow managed to bust a 'foot' off the disk holder tray, and, they are 125 bucks each.
I was thinking about taking the drive out, getting a 7200, and giving it a try but, the chances are I'd end up with a busted, unuseable tray, and, that would make the whole thing 225 dollars, plus shipping and tax, for an OS that I'm not likely to use. The failing of the 7.0 was it would not send video to a newly installed projector. I use this feature at school, to project intresting stuff to make the subject matter come 'alive'. For example math 'waves' become much more real when explained through ocean buoys, waves, tidal waves, and huge open ocean waves for surfing.

Yes, this Panasonic uses the system ram, and does not have a decent gpu. It still works for movies, playing stuff on projectors for school, and, does pretty much what I need, though not at the max resolutions that a decent gpu would allow.

So far, for basic stuff, it's working, which is not something I've been able to say about Nix in the past.

Haven't worked with trying to put MSFT programs on this thing yet. Trying to learn the Nix programs, and, get used to a bit of command line.

I thought it was pretty seamless that it downloaded, and installed, 166 updates that took nearly 45 minutes to download, without problem.

Also, installing a driver, and printing to my network HP 4000N was a joy compared to the windows install, and download of new software for that printer from HP.

By the way, for having a total of 1500 dollars in this laptop, I see NO reason to change to anything else, for quite awhile. XP is still supported, works great on the 7200 rpm drive, and, the only really questionable part of this thing are the speakers, which are one dead, and two, never had enough volume in the first place. Headphones, or external speakers take care of that.

David: Maybe I should muck about with wine a bit.

Wonder if I can install MSFT Office on this thing?

GS

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The computer is just three years old, and, it's just out of warranty, which of course I find out when one of the speakers dies...
It's an intel processor, 1.6 ghz, stepped, Pentium R M.

Drive it's running off is 4200 rpm, the one that came in it, but, it was actually reasonably fast, about 25 MB/sec, IIRC, which, I was surprised about at the time, since my other 4.2K's where running at 10 mb/sec.

Bozo: Yes, the command prompt does throw one a bit of a curve, but, it's really pretty easy...

I said that, but, WINE is giving me fits, and trying to install software for wine to use is not fun...

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
GS: "Bozo: Yes, the command prompt does throw one a bit of a curve, but, it's really pretty easy..."
Remember we are talking mainstream users. Where I work we have over 800 people. I can only think of maybe 4 that are comfortable with the command prompt in Linux. And, I am not one of them.

Bozo :joker:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
If the guys that did WINE were more intrested in making office apps, rather then games work, it would be wonderful.

Yes, Synaptic works, and works well. Course you have to get used to the Linux apps.

I like the idea of having a WINE developer actually get mainstream, or even industry unique apps to work.

For instance, it would be a God send to restaurants to not run their apps on a Windows base, but on a linux base.

ddrueding

Fixture
Synaptic???

Think of it as add/remove programs, but better.

You can add programs as well from the internet master repository, and it has a search feature and a summary of each program. It also tracks and handles dependencies (eg. .NET framework or Adobe Flash)