It's a Dell but...

Handruin

Administrator
I'm guessing the good point with these systems is the ability to buy without the windows tax?

Handruin

Administrator
You're getting the orangutan you expected with no expensive perfume included in the price.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
I think it's about time! Hopefully they'll start doing that with laptops and other big names will follow suit. Wishful thinking maybe. :)

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Is it actually cheaper than getting a machine with Windows and wiping it?

Sol

Storage is cool
Yeah it is, although that might be in part to some discount offer they have going on the windows free version and not on the windows inclusive one but last I heard it was about $180 the difference.

ddrueding

Fixture
If you sell a computer without an OS, you know for sure that you will get less tech support calls. That might explain the $180 difference.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The $180 is for Windows and all the other crap installed. All the preinstalled crap that fills the taskbar from one side of the screen to the other with icons. The crap the causes the computer to take 5 minutes to boot up.
Dell tech support?????? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Bozo :joker:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
If you sell a computer without an OS, you know for sure that you will get less tech support calls.

Sorry sir. Your computer did not ship with any software, and installing any is not supported. If you want assistance, you're going to have to remove it.

Handruin

Administrator
It comes with software:

Dell's n Series desktop ships with a copy of FreeDosTM , an
open-source operating system that is ready to install.

ddrueding

Fixture
Great.

Phone Tech: "The first thing you need to do is insert the disk and reboot. This will format your drive and restore it to it's original state."

Who on earth is going to do that?

ddrueding

Fixture
....but it would be easy to support.

Tech: "Do you see a line of white text on a black background? Is the cursor blinking? Good. Your hardware is working, call someone else."