Just one recording

bahngeist

What is this storage?
Bartender said:
Good to see you posting here Bahngeist.
:) Thank you for noticing, it helped lift my spirits :)

The irony of my choice is that I haven't owned the 'Lamb lies Down' album for over a decade now; but given the scenario, it is sufficiently multi-faceted to be engaging over a long-haul.

However, if the scenario were a realilty, it is probable that I would prefer quiet for the bulk of the time. The album to me would be like an occasional visit with an old friend, someone that you haven't see for awhile, but when you get together you still have things to share and it seems that no time has passed.

Two albums that were close seconds were 'The Wall' and The Cure's: Disintegration. Although the instrumental aspects of the former are IMO superb, I doubt that the story and lyrics would be conducive to remaining on an even keel during an indeterminent solitude. I wouldn't have that problem with Disintegration, not only because The Cure is one of my favorite bands, but in a perverse sort of way thier music often serves to lift me out of the occasional funk.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Bleh, that sucks. The links to the streaming audio don't work. I recommend you download some tracks (in particular, Colours, Circles, Aromatherapy) and have a listen.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Don't scroll up to the first post yet! First, finish reading this one.

This is downright scary. There are two things you need to know.

(1) A few minutes ago, Tea was flipping through old pages of the Pub and Brewery looking for a thread Mercutio started years ago which she couldn't find with the search function, and she stumbled across this one. Don't scroll up to the first post yet! First, finish reading this one. Now neither Tea not I had the faintest memory of this thread. She only clicked on it out of idle curiosity. Even on reading it, it didn't especially ring a bell.

(2) In February this year, in another forum which I doubt would be of interest to anyone here, I started a new thread, as reproduced below:

Tannin said:
You have been condemned by the Abbotstazi to exile for thought crimes.

In a few minutes, you will be flown to a deserted island from which there is no escape. There you will remain until further notice. If you are lucky, your appeal for clemency and rehabilitation will be considered in perhaps five or ten years time. Meanwhile, you will stay on the island. You will have no contact with civilisation of any kind. No radio, no TV, no Internet, no newspapers, no phone calls, no letters, no visitors.

You will be abandoned there with nothing but the clothes you stand in and a few survival aids, such as fishing line and hooks, a primitive first aid kit, some knives, plates and spoons, a cooking pot, and a plentiful supply of matches.

The island itself is perfectly safe and comfortable. The climate is benign enough for you to sleep naked on the soft sand under a tree, or in one of the several small caves if it is raining. There is a fresh water spring which never runs dry, and any amount of food to be found, ranging from fruits and wild vegetables through to plump, tender wild turkeys and a huge variety of seafood. Barring accident, you should survive in comfort for however many years it will be before your appeal is finally heard. You will, of course, be searched carefully to make sure that you take nothing whatsoever from the world of civilisation barring the standard survival kit that is provided to you.

Just as you are about to be frog-marched onto the small float-plane, and you are taking what will be your last look at buildings and street lamps and other works of civilisation for a very long time, your Corrections Officer says that there has been a last minute change of policy. In the interests of humanity, you will be given a small, solar-powered CD player, apparently of quite good quality, and as a sign of the government's great generosity, even a CD-ROM to go with it.

One.

Any album you like. You have 10 seconds to choose it. This will be the only music you hear for the next 10 years. Choose it well. Eight seconds left. If you can't make your mind up in time, the offer is off. Seven seconds left. You can have any album you like; you might get away with asking for a double album, or you might not. If you ask for a triple album or a boxed set, that will just demonstrate your greed and probably lead to you being shot. Four seconds left. You might regret your choice later and wish you'd thought to ask for something different, but you have no time to ponder, only to blurt the first one you think of. Two seconds left.

Make your choice.

Somewhere further down the thread I provided my own answer to my own question, as follows:

Tannin said:
The Rolling Stones, Let it Bleed.

On the plane, I realise my mistake. I should, of course, have asked for the one absolutely irreplacable recording, the one work that never, ever fails to lift my spirits, Mozart's immortal Marriage of Figaro. There are lots of good versions, but I'd go for my much loved original, Kiri Te Kanawa under Solti with the London Philharmonic. I am heartbroken. I love Let it Bleed but how could I have been so stupid?

Nearing the island, I suddenly start shaking with fright. I just remembered that it is a triple album. Close escape!

Now scroll up to the top of the thread and read the first three posts.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
If you'd asked me to name my favourite albums any time in the last decade, Mubs, I'd have listed maybe a dozen, maybe 20, picked one or two of them at more-or-less random according to the mood of the moment, and would quite reasonably expect to name different ones at different times. I don't really have a favourite album, I'd have said, it all depends on the mood of the moment. I certainly wouldn't expect to name the same ones every time, or even any two times.

What blew me away here was the exact same thing - starting a favourite album thread (with no memory at all of the earlier one), and then not just naming the same one, but the same two albums. Ask me twice a few weeks apart, sure. But 13 years! Is that an amazing coincidence? Or am I really as stuck in my inflexible ways as my little orange friend says?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Desert Island recordings are a real thing. This is something that has been discussed in record stores for probably nearly a century now.
My desert island stuff goes on my Google Play Music account so that I should always at least have one accessible copy of it even if it's not on the PC or device I'm using. I suppose that wouldn't help on an actual desert island, but it's better than not having it at all.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Or am I really as stuck in my inflexible ways as my little orange friend says?

Yes. :grin:

Face it old timer, you're stubborn as a mule! :rofl:

Personally, I will give just about anything the time of day as long as it isn't gangster rap or modern country. Both of those grate on my nerves like nothing else.

If I had to list a favorite album, I would probably say one of Megadeth's greatest hits compilations. I can't actually say that I have a favorite.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin:
1) Your choices must be really good. That is why you chose them almost automatically after 13 years. I will try to listen to them someday.
2) I would say you are more consistent than stubborn. These choices must have been burned-in in your brain!

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
^ Pfft! You clearly don't know the old bugger. He simply hasn't listened to anything new in the last three decades so he keeps on trotting out the same old, same old and asking for his cocoa.

PS: if and when you find Tannin's brain, please let him know immediately. He struggles a bit with the very latest technologies such as email, you'd probably better send a fax.