Just tried Netscape 7.0

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I must have been bored.

After the discussion of browsers and email clients in another thread just now, I tok it into my head to take another look at Netscape. OK, I know it's based on the Mozilla engine and I already have Moz, but I was curious. After the dreadful 6.0, could they have made it better? Would Netscape's team manage to make it look nicer than Moz (NS 4.x always looked OK), or would it be more like the dreadful old 6.0 - a product that had been hit very hard indeed with the ugly stick.

So, what do you get? A whole lot of commercial AOL-flavoured bullshitto wade through on install, most of which you can skip with a little determination. After that, it's more or less Moz all the way, though my first impression is that it's had a little gloss painted on, and that it's noticably slower than my Mozilla 0.9.9. Just now I installed Moz 1.2A (a closer equivalent to NS7.0, which is based on Moz 1.1, I believe) and my impression is confirmed: Moz is substantially faster loading than NS 7. Indeed, the most recent Mozilla versions must be making the Opera people sit up and worry, because it's getting close to Opera speeds.

Anyway, spent five minutes setting the prefferences the way I like them, and logged onto Storage Review. Right away I noticed a new "Last post by" test field over on the right-hand side - rather ugly, I thought, but it's his website he can do what he likes with it. Oh, and Netscape wanted me to download the Flash crap, of course, but once told to shup up and ignore it it behaved OK. Cruised around for a while, posted a long picture post, then went back to Mozilla for a while. The new SR layout looked just as ugly in Mozilla - not that I was paying a great deal of attention. Flicked over to Storage Forum and noticed that Handruin had done the same thing with his layout ....

Hey... Wait a minute? That seemed like a bit too much of a coincidence. A quick look with Opera confirmed it: neither site had changed anything. A moment's thought and some comparisons between different browsers looking at the same page soon showed that the problem was that Netscape 7.0 was failing to display the small navigation graphics. (Look over on the right of the thread index here at Storage Forum (or at any site that used phpBB). You will notice a small white recangular graphic just after the name of the last poster, and on the far left there is another one showing if the thread has any unread posts yet. These were being rendered as text, and making a right mess of the layout widths in the process. The "last post" field, for example, had two text entries:

Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:10 am
Tea - View last post

Notice the funny font size - that's what it looked like.

OK, I figured, I must have done something silly with the settings, such as switched the images off. Nope. And besides, there were other images in my post that were showing up just fine. Perhaps they had changed the location of the buttons so that they were now being blocked by the image blocker? Nope, I checked that: the properties of the little images (as accessed through IE or Opera) said quite clearly that they were located in a sub-dir of storagereview.net, where the blocked domain was ads.storagereview.net.

In the end, there was only one rational explanation: Netscape 7.0 had buggered itself up, and buggered Mozilla up in the process!

Anyway, I saved my Mozilla bookmarks (why do they have to put them in such a stupid damn location?), uninstalled Moz 0.9.9, and then downloaded and installed Moz 1.2A. My Mozilla works just fine now, and it's fixed up Netscape too. Not that it matters, I guess, I can't imaging that I'll be using it much.

And now for the $64,000 question. I was bored and curious - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. But that aside, why would anyone want to install Netscape these days?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Tea said:
And now for the $64,000 question. I was bored and curious - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. But that aside, why would anyone want to install Netscape these days?
I think your frustration is summarized by this last paragraph. Too bad no one has the answer for the $64,000 question...

See you next week! :wink:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Tea said:
NS7.0, which is based on Moz 1.1, I believe
Nope. Netscape 7.0 is based on Mozilla 1.0.1, which is slower than Moz 1.1 (I haven't tried 1.2a because I avoid alpha versions).

Tea said:
In the end, there was only one rational explanation: Netscape 7.0 had buggered itself up, and buggered Mozilla up in the process!
That's because Netscape used the profile you created previously with Mozilla. Next time, use two different profiles and your Netscape installation won't corrupt your otherwise nice Mozilla installation.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
As Tea experienced and Coug explained why, I had Netscape destroy Mozilla for me too. Suddenly, Mozilla no longer loaded any images. I ended up uninstalling Netscape and Mozilla. Then I re-installed Mozilla and decided against using Netscape for a while. On Windows, Opera has not been any faster for me, and the advertisement in the upper righthand corner bothers me. So, Mozilla or IE it will be (IE 6 still works fine for me).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
blakerwry said:
hey you know there is a product called phoenix, it's based of a latter version of mozilla, but it is just the browser part... it loads about 1/2 the time mozilla loads in...

phoenix 0.3
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/phoenix-release-notes.html
That's what I'm currently using. I prefered the way the bookmarks were managed in version 0.1 though. Now it takes more steps to create a new folder and move your links around. Drag and drop, with "add folder here" directly within the bookmarks' droping menus would be prefereable IMO. Version 0.3 crashed nowhere nearly as often as version 0.1 and 0.2 though.

Phoenix, however, isn't as full-featured as Mozilla is. Let's say it's kind of a light version, with only the main lines of the script.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Adcadet said:
IE lacks tabbed browsing. For me, that's a killer feature in Moz.
Give me a break! I prefer to run a thousand times IE6 with many open windows than buggy Mozilla. Moreover IE6 has by far a neater interface IMO.

Handruin

Administrator
On the other side of the fende, I'm finding it easier to design a site to comply with Mozilla and Opera, then for IE. Right now I'm having a hard time integrating a search box in IE 6 because the <form></form> has a spacing issue I can't figure out. This issue does not exists in Opera and Mozilla.

I feel like Mozilla is a less forgiving for html errors. (which I prefer) I can forget tons of formatting tags and IE will display the page correctly.

Overall I still use IE 6 as my main browser, but I'm slowly shifting over to Mozilla. Opera wastes too much screen space with its advertising on top. (yes I know I can pay for it, but BS to that)

It's hard to say which browser is more stable since I use them in unequal amounts of time. However the only time Mozilla has given me an issue was with the skins. I tried to download a few new skins and it didn't like it.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
One of the reasons I like IE6 is its seemless integration with the web authoring tool FrontPage 2002.

Updating the content of my personal domain takes a snap. It's an on-the-fly procedure rendered even easier if your host service provides FrontPage 2002 Extensions.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Can somebody help me out witha problem on mozilla...

Im using mandrake linux and fo some reason my mozilla stopped posting on forms.

Ex: I cant login to this site because the login button doesn't work
I can't search in google becasue the search button doesn't work
etc. etc.

If I click on the form submit button, it will become depressed. But the browser will not do anything... no sign of navigation... no nothing.... The same pages DO work in Galeon(gecko based) on the same system.

I'm unfamiliar with linux and not sure how to delete my user setting for moz, or how to reinstall moz... can someone give me some tips on how to get things working?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
woohoo... got it working... used RPM drake to uninstall /reinstall mozilla... (deleting the .mozilla folder in my home directory did nothing to solve the problem)

Handruin

Administrator
Prof.Wizard said:
One of the reasons I like IE6 is its seemless integration with the web authoring tool FrontPage 2002.

Updating the content of my personal domain takes a snap. It's an on-the-fly procedure rendered even easier if your host service provides FrontPage 2002 Extensions.

That's great FP 2002 integrates with IE 6., but I can't stand using it as an HTML editor. Perhaps 2002 is better then previous versions, but something about using FP just doesn't seem right.

I use HomeSite 5.0 for color-coding my text and HTML validation, nothing more, nothing less. I dislike it when WYSIWYG editors play HTML code tricks to make a page look right.

Handruin

Administrator
Prof.Wizard said:
www.mihailidis.com

I swear I did it in less than half-hour. As far as personalization is concerned... sky is the limit!

For the time spent, I think it comes out good. But when you look into the source, things like:
Code:
10/15/02
and
Code:
<font face="trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica">
clutter up the source. I don't know why they are there. Also the javascript isn't half bad compared to macromedia's implementation.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
font page has come of age with the 2002 version. it's not bad at all. i agree that the the previous versions were all dogs, particularly FP98 which was a joke but FP2002 works and works well, it's feature set is rich and is easy to use to boot. give it a go beofe you dismiss it as crap. it's come a long way.

tip: use CSS with FP and it will greatly reduce the amount of of superfluous and IE specific formatting code that it can otherwise bloat html with. using CSS is good practice anyway :)

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Jake the Dog said:
tip: use CSS with FP and it will greatly reduce the amount of of superfluous and IE specific formatting code that it can otherwise bloat html with. using CSS is good practice anyway :)
How?