K7D and Mylex 170

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Just thought I'd ask you guys if you've stumbled upon a similar problem.

Ok, a computer with a K7D Master (MSI) motherboard, 2* XP1800, Mylex 170 and some assorted other stuff. It's been running for a month without problems.

Mission, install a Mylex SCSI controller into the computer. The controller is connected to a SCSI tower with some HD's and the tape backup, which is why the controller is put into this computer.

Shutdown the computer, install the controller into a pci slot, cover on the press the power button. Nothing happens. Here we go again....

D-led whines something about vga initialization. Double check the Ati in the AGP slot. Nope.
Switch AGP card. Nope.
Switch to PCI card. Nope.
Rip the controller out. Nope.
Back to original AGP card. Nope.
Original config now, and not working.
Switch memory. Nope.

And after a lot of this and that, rip out the Mylex 170 and watch the computer boot up nicely!!!!????
Test the SCSI controller, everything working ok. Test the mylex in another computer, working ok.
Tried the Mylex in all possible slots, no luck booting.
Bios upgrade for motherboard. No luck. Bios settings, no luck.

Took everything out of the case and connected only motherboard and memory and Mylex and AGP, no luck.

Then installed a Asus A7V266-E motherboard to get the system up and running, with the Mylex (because the RAID was the most important thing in the computer), and everything is ok.

So it booted ok, the clock was about 2AM, so home to sleep.

Does anyone have any good ideas why the Mylex and the Motherboard did not like each other anymore? They had been working nicely together for about a month. Both seemed to be ok when connected with anything but each other...

Puzzled...

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
There are many folks who have this board over at WWW.2CPU.COM and if you look in the forums there you may get a hint what may be wrong. I would check in both the Motherboards and Storage Forums. Personally I don't know what might be wrong.