Kingston Reselling Intel SSDs?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
That is what it looks like to me. Thoughts? Has anyone found an SSD out there that performs like the Intel X25-? yet? I can't find the 160GB version for sale.

Why yes, read the news section on SF :D.

250/70 RW...ah no. But Samsung & Toshiba will have drives on the market soon that surpass the Intel in both capacity & performance.

Oh, did you mean Corsair? :p

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Corsair-SSD-S128,6871.html

Although an official announcement has yet to be made, it would appear Corsair has entered into the SSD market. Appearing recently at e-retailers, Corsair's new S128 SSD features 128 GB of storage capacity and modest sequential read and write speeds of 90 MB/s and 70 MB/s, respectively. It has yet to be seen if Corsair will offer SSDs in other capacities. According to Hexus, this Corsair S128 SSD is equipped with a Samsung controller and Samsung NAND flash memory Later this year, Corsair is expected to release its second generation of SSDs, which will increase performance to more competitive levels. These faster SSDs are expected to be based on existing high-performance SSDs, quite possible from Intel, with read and write speeds surpassing 200 MB/s. It is also believed that Corsair will eventually release SSDs capable of speeds hitting 400 MB/s, but little is known about a potential release date for those.
The 128 GB Corsair S128 SSD has been spotted for order at NCIX for $335.74. With the cost of SSDs quickly becoming affordable for mainstream users, it may not be long before other companies, such as Western Digital, also feel now is the right time to get on the SSD bandwagon.

errr, double *yawn*
Kingston Joins SSD Fray With Intel Drives

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/kingston-ssdnow-ssd-intel,6874.html

The SSDNow E Series 32 GB gives up capacity for speed with 250 MB/sec. read, 170 MB/sec. write, while the SSDNow M Series 80 GB goes on the other side of the equation with 250 MB/sec. read, 70 MB/sec. write.

The specification and naming convention of the E Series and M Series appear to match up with the Intel X25-E and X25-M, which we’ve found in our own tests to be exceptionally fast.

Kingston did not provide pricing details, but we’re expecting these to be among the more expensive of SSD range.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Do you want higher performance than the Intel drives now, today, something in stock you can flip your CC over?

ddrueding

Fixture
No, the performance of the Intel SSDs is fine, I just need more capacity. I'm considering a pair of the 80s, or a 160. Just wondering if anyone else has cracked the hesitation issue yet.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
No, the performance of the Intel SSDs is fine, I just need more capacity. I'm considering a pair of the 80s, or a 160. Just wondering if anyone else has cracked the hesitation issue yet.

? explain

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak

How much?

Range?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
? explain

Perhaps dd was refering to the jmicron jmf602 controllers in many MLC SSD's?

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403&p=10

Finding good data on the JMicron JMF602 controller is nearly impossible, but from what I've heard it's got 16KB of on-chip memory for read/write requests. By comparison, Intel's controller has a 256KB SRAM on-die. And I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that given Intel's experience with CPU caches, that its SRAM implementation is probably very well done.
With the JMicron based solutions, if you try and write too much to the drive (and trust me, it won’t take a lot) and the buffers get full, the controller tells the system that it’s not ready to write more data and you get a pause.
When you cause the JM602’s internal buffer to overflow, your system runs in bullet-time. Applications take much longer to launch and close, windows take longer to appear, and there are distinct pauses in anything you want to do that involves the disk. Want to send an IM? Well, that writes to an IM log - you can expect a pause before you can send your IM. Loading webpages is the worst, reading from and writing to the cache wreaks havoc on these cacheless MLC drives. Just for kicks I tried loading AnandTech while I was extracting a 5GB file on the SuperTalent 60GB MLC, it took over 10 seconds for the website to load. Once the JM602 was free to fulfill the read request, the website just popped up - but until then it was like my DNS was failing. It’s a lot like what happens to your notebook if you try and do too much, the disk quickly becomes a bottleneck.
Thankfully, as we've already seen, this problem is only limited to JMF602 based MLC drives. The SLC drives and the Intel MLC are totally fine, so while I'll include these problematic MLC drives in today's comparison, let me state now that I would not purchase one.
JMicron's roadmap shows a new controller next year with an integrated ARM core as well as support for external DRAM, which could alleviate these problems, but until now the controller, and drives based on it, aren't worth it. You get a much better overall experience out of a conventional mechanical disk drive, and much better performance from the Intel SSD or any of the SLC solutions on the market.

The Corsair I mentioned above will use a Samsung controller.

hmm, guess dd drifted off again like he does with many a thread. No telling if he went and made his impulse buy, or this was just 'out loud' thinking about a carefully researched near term future purchase (which could be weeks to 1/2yr)...ya never know, details are always skimpy :p; ya have to pry out a full 'interview' to get to the all important qualifying info.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Judging by the photo, Kingston is just slapping their label on the Intel X25 series.

Good luck with ZZF. My last order was botched so I don't buy from them anymore.

ddrueding

Fixture
That looks to be my issue, udaman. Excellent research. So it looks like Intel is the only one at the moment, but that better things are coming quickly? Perhaps I'll just run a pair of VelociRaptors until some fast ~300GB SSDs are available. My plan was to purchase by next Friday, but I can put it off for a month if that is all it takes.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
OMG! You can be patient and hold off for a whole month? Anyone want to take bets? :mrgrn:

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Thanks for the heads-up. These will be standard issue soon.

"Standard"...hardly think so. Will be "optional" for a good long time. Can get 160GB 2.5 HHD for $60, when 128GB SSD's go below $100, then 'standard'

http://forum.ssdworld.ch/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37

Maybe Anandtech didn't test correctly ;) ^^^

for the Intel SLC we get this...eh, too lazy to edit down to end of page, just read the IOmeter warnings below (check back in a while, as the Intel MLC is slated to be run through same/similar benchmarks)

http://forum.ssdworld.ch/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84

^^^this on nVidia 780 MB chipset.

Can never tell from dd's limited postings what exactly all the other 'conditional' issues he has with any purchase decision, until you flail in exasperation trying to guess...I'll pass on that, waste of bandwidth :p.

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=dvnation&product_name=Solidata+X2-256+SSD

^^^In stock Solidata MLC 256GB $1137, 128GB $636...240/190 RW...proprietary controller? Who knows...check test results on SSDWorld for comparison to the SLC Intel.

SSDForum

SSDWorld official forum
Skip to content

Advanced search

Intel X-25 E SLC + nVidia780 Motherboard Chipset

Discussion about buying an SSD (prices, infos, ...)
Post a reply

1 post • Page 1 of 1

Intel X-25 E SLC + nVidia780 Motherboard Chipset

by ssdworld on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:10 pm
<- INDEX

The Intel X-25 SLC in n this section we will see the Memoright in a Asus Striker II Formula, with nVidia 780 chipset, 2.4GHz quad core, 4 GB RAM and Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1. The drive is placed as second drive, formatted and the test was made 5 times.
We also have found a problem with this drive, when stressed under server simulation it loose performances, here the details of the problem.

Here the h2benchw Graphic for the sustained data read (blue) and write (red)
IntelSLCH2benchwGrafico.jpg

for more details you have here the h2benchw results in DOS
InteSLCH2benchwDOS.jpg

Look at the impressive fast access time, even when the cache is full.

HTunePRO Read/write, 64MB zones
IIntelHtuneAtto.jpg

Attodisk, for sequential performances
IIntelAtto.jpg

HDTach Full read and write
IIntelHDtachFullWrite.jpg

HTune Pro, the setting ist „accurate“, size block 64 KB, read
IntelSLCHTuneRead64KB.jpg

HTune Pro, the setting ist o „accurate“, size block 64 KB, write
IntelSLCHTuneWrite64KB.jpg

HTune Pro, the setting is „accurate“, size block 4 KB, read, in this section the HDTunePro crash.

PCMark05
IntelSLCPCMark05.jpg

A copy and paste of 615 mixed files (5.98GB), it started at more than 200MB/s and stay at 100MB/s.
The copy time is 1min 06sec 96
IntelSLCCopia10696.jpg

And Crystal disk, in the first line the sequential read and write speed, in the second and third line we have a random read and random write at 4KB and 512KB
IntelSLCCristal.jpg

And now the HDBench
IntelSLCHDBench.jpg

And finally a serious test with Iometer, a very usefull tool from Intel. Our test cover all the range of every type of server, from 512B to 512 KB, in a real environnement percent read/write distribution: 80%read/20%write, and 67%read/33%write.

For OLTP Servers (Oracle, SAP, SQL, ...) the range is 2KB-16KB
For File servers (File printer server, email Exchange, Notes, Decision Support System) the range is 4KB-64KB
For Web Server (Web services, Blog, File RSS, Caddy, search engine, Storage service) the range is 512B-512KB

At the beginning the IOPS are around 35'000 for 512B block size, but after only 10 min of many different acces specification and differents outstandings (from 4 to 256) the Intel X-25 start to loose performances.

Here you have more details about this problem.

With the Intel the CPU utilization is normal (around 2%)

And here the results, in order do avoid to stress the Intel X-25 E the test was only for 1 minute each, even with so short test, at the end the Intel loose performances, and the IOPS for the 512block size is worst than a single SATA SSD like the Soliware or the Memoright GT.

IntelSLCIometer512B.jpg

We don't have make the complete test in the others file size block because of this problem of write amplification.
SSDWorld
www.ssdworld.ch
info@ssdworld.ch

ddrueding

Fixture
I meant standard for the machines I build. They are already in 50% of them. The X25-M and a mid-range Core2Duo is snappier for office apps and web stuff than a Velociraptor and a Q9650.

Handruin

Administrator
It's a start. :D

Fill a bowl of water and put your credit card in it...then stick it in the freezer (and throw away any copies of the number). ;-)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It's a start. :D

Fill a bowl of water and put your credit card in it...then stick it in the freezer (and throw away any copies of the number). ;-)

I'm sure he has the number saved with Newegg and I'm sure he remembers the CVV2 without even looking at the card.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I'm sure he has the number saved with Newegg and I'm sure he remembers the CVV2 without even looking at the card.

Intervention with a card cutting ceremony in order?

You can pry my Amex Clear from my cold dead hands...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've never understood the "freeze your card in a block of ice" idea. How hard is it to memorize a few 16 digit numbers?

ddrueding

Fixture

Oh, yeah. ;)

It's OK, the computer purchases will stop soon. The sailboat racing season starts in a few months, and I need to get my boat ready.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Udaman: another great post. Thank you!
HMMM.
Wonder what I'd get if I pulled my storage drives, and ran 5 15k cheetahs for a boot disk??? You don't think that's excessive, do you????

Plus, I'd probably get different 15k drives, so, I'd have to buy a whole new set...