Konqueror looks great.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
IjustinstqlledRedHqton,ytestsyte;9theoneziththekeyboqrdzithoutqspqcebqrm)0

WTF; zhy q, I stuck zith thqt dq,n azerty ,ode6

AH!!, at least! I finally got rid of the damn azerty keyboard mode Red Hat installed by default (they seem to believe that all French-speakers are from France).

Like I said, I just installed Red Hat on my test system (the one with a space bar key). ;-)

Let me tell you that KDE 3.0 looks great. No fuzzy text like in the previous version I used (don't remember which one, it was included with Mandrake 8.1 - probably 2.2.4). I'm also impressed by Knoqueror. It's very neat and quite speedy too. I might finally set myself free from Winblows after all these years :)

Tony, Red Hat 7.3 really worths a trial.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Does Red Hat 7.3 have KDE 3?

I also have the ISOs for Suse 8.0 sitting on one of my drives. It would be a waste to go and download redhat when I already have Suse.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
timwhit said:
Does Red Hat 7.3 have KDE 3?
Yes it does.

Where did you get the ISO for SuSE 8.0? On warez? I tried to find them on the mirror FTP site linked on their web site, but (at least up to yesterday) the latest version that can be downloaded from there is the 7.3, which only has KDE 2.xx (something pre 3.0).

I finally figured out how to uncompress a .tar.gz file on Linux I went to the Konsole and typed gzip -d followed by the name of the mozilla compressed file) and I'm now using Mozilla 1.0 on KDE 3.0. It's a bit slow, but still very usable. I must not forget that I'm only using a 500MHz Athlon on that machine, so maybe that's the cause of the lack of snappiness.

I read in my Mandrake book that the source code is locate in the /usr/scr/ directory. Is it very hard to recompile the Kernel under Red Hat (I never did that before) so that instead of being compiled for an i386 CPU, it will be for an i686?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
After about 10 hours on Red Hat 7.3, I understand why many say that Linux is still a poor desktop OS. At least now with KDE 3.0, it's looking quite good, comparable to Winblows in many ways. But the snappiness just isn't there. Moving the windows often result in ghosting and visual artifacts. There's a delay that isn't there on Winblows when you launch some basic applications. Delay during which the system becomes unresponsive. It's not long most of the time, but always noticeable.

I hope recompiling, if I can figure out how, will help to soften the above issues.

But still, Red Hat 7.3 is good enough to earn the right to stay on one of my computer instead of Windows 2000. It's the first time I like a distro enough to keep it. I hope I'll learn to like enough to use it as my primary OS one day.

In any case, it's been a very learning day for me and I'm proud of the few things I have been able to accomplish on this new environment.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I forget if RH 7.3 comes with this option turned on or not, but for more snappiness try setting the noatime option in /etc/fstab (I think) - this will let Linux skip writing back to the disk the time each file was last accessed. I've found it improves things a bit.

I too like RH7.3, although I use WinXP mainly because it will run my two monitors off of my ATI Radeon....when Red Hat can do that I will very very seriously consider a switch as my main OS. But until then I will stick with WinXP 'cause I can't (easily) live without dual monitors. I feel so dirty running an M$ product....I yearn for the purity that is open software.

Adcadet

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
CougTek said:
Where did you get the ISO for SuSE 8.0? On warez? I tried to find them on the mirror FTP site linked on their web site, but (at least up to yesterday) the latest version that can be downloaded from there is the 7.3, which only has KDE 2.xx (something pre 3.0).

I got the images off of usenet right after they came out(alt.binaries.cd.image). I checked the Suse site at the time and they weren't available so when I saw the chance to get them, I did.

I've tried to use linux in the past, but have become stumped, when it takes me an hour to get an application installed there has to be something wrong. That was about a year ago, maybe I will have another go at it soon.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Adcadet said:
I forget if RH 7.3 comes with this option turned on or not, but for more snappiness try setting the noatime option in /etc/fstab (I think) - this will let Linux skip writing back to the disk the time each file was last accessed.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try it soon.