KVM Issues

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The KVM does not see my corporate laptop video for some reason. I don't have the docking station at home so the output is VGA with a cable or adapter to DVI. I tried two different cables, and both function properly when plugged directly into the monitor. Is this behavior normal for a DVI KVM? (Needless to say it is annoying to switch the KVM and also have to toggle through three monitor inputs using a tiny, recessed button.) I have not used the laptop on the KVM in months. Previously the laptop had XP before they installed 7 and I recall it worked fine at one time. Is that possibly related?

LunarMist

I set the laptop to external only, 19200*1200. It looks fine with the direct connection, although cleaner with one cable than the other. The laptop is a 3 year old Dell E something and that resolution is listed as being supported.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
My Dell E6410/ intel 3000 video has a problem but it's more of a conflict between it and the Mac on the KVM. If all I'm using is my desktop and the Dell laptop everything is fine, if I had the Mac into the mix the Mac and my desktop work perfectly fine but at random times when I switched to the laptop it will not display video. Between my Mac and the desktop is never an issue on the KVM.

When it doesn't display video sometimes opening and closing the lid will bring it back but usually I have to switch from it to something else and back again. It's frustrating because that's the computer I have to switch to when I receive a call, and it not being reliable so that I can answer the phone and have information at my fingertips is a real problem.

I detailed some of this in my KVM post and I've had this problem across two KVM's now. I am more or less blaming it on the Dell laptop because it's the thing that can't produce video when I need it. I have tried two docking stations and the built in display port out, and all ports have that problem.

I suppose it could be something in the monitor too where it doesn't like changing display modes but it's weird that I never have this problem between the Mac laptop and my desktop which is running a HD6950.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
On your situation though you say running VGA through a DVI adapter, you know if the KVM supports analog video? Does it even have the four pins surrounding the blade connector? Do all of the adapters and cables support analog also?

LunarMist

On your situation though you say running VGA through a DVI adapter, you know if the KVM supports analog video? Does it even have the four pins surrounding the blade connector? Do all of the adapters and cables support analog also?

The KVM is like this. It supports analog according to the decription. One of the cables has VGA on one end and DVI with all of the pins on the other. I also have a VGA to VGA cable with a DVI adapater that has 1/3 of the pins missing. Neither way works. I thought all pin connections all were needed only for the dual link, which the KVM does not support anyway.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Huh that is exactly the same switch that I used to use but the power supply died. the box for it doesn't really mention anything about analog it mentions DVI whole lot and it has a couple notes digital full DVI and USB connectivity. I never really tried to use analog through it.

LunarMist

I think I see the problem. According to the pinouts, I have a dual-link DVI-D cable from the KVM to the monitor, whereas I need a DVD-I (either single or dual). Both of the VGA cables I use have the DVD-I connector at the other end, so that is why they work when connected directly. At least I hope that is the deal.

Last edited:

LunarMist

Apparently such cables are not so easy to find. The vast majority are DVD-D, not -I. The only 3-ft cable at the egg is a Ro Swill. Monoprice has a six footer, but that increases the total cable length to twelve feet.