Laptop bags

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Since we've just had a long thread about cheapo laptops, I wonder: Does anyone have any particularly strong feelings about the bag your laptop goes in?

My Thinkpad lives in a Kensington laptop backpack, only because all my tools and discs and stuff get crammed into a heavy duty saddlebag-type thing, and the laptop won't fit in there with everything else.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I have a backpack that I got for free from work that has a special compartment in the back to fit the laptop. I like it better than a standard over the shoulder laptop bag because the weight is distributed over both shoulders.

It doesn't look as professional though.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I use the backpack that was given as a freebie in my CISSP training class. No special laptop compartment, but then I don't really need padding as I don't drop it or, in general, bump it in to anything. Most of my travel is from my den to the car and from the car to my desk (about 90 feet, 1 curb, 1 door). If I travel to our other office the haul is a little longer (0.1 miles walking from the parking garage to the building, a couple dozen stairsteps, 2 elevators, a few doors) but still the laptop doesn't take any abuse.

I have the leather laptop 'briefcase' I ordered with the Dell (I think it's a Targus), but I don't use it much. Mostly because the backback has better storage compartments. Even being supposedly designed for a laptop the briefcase doesn't accommodate the travel power brick very nicely. Let alone other things like a 25-disk short CD/DVD spindle.

I mostly use just one shoulder even for the backpack.

Moral of the story: Use whichever carries your stuff the best. Make sure there are extra pouches for stuff you haven't thought of yet.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I think todays useful laptops with batteries cdrom, power cord and floppy drive in the bag along with some extra tools and stuff I need are plain way to heavy to carry in a hand or even a shoulder bag for more than a block or two in the city. I picked up a $12 Parkers laptop backpack to make the carrying easier and it's definately not a problem now to walk a ways when I have to. I see more and more people switching to backpacks.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Fushigi said:
I'm actually seeing more of these. To me, it would seem like they'd subject the laptop to more bumps and jars.

I hate those damn things. They make walking down a sidewalk downtown chicago a royal pain in the ass, not to mention people that try to bring them on buses and trains.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
My mom tried to give me one of those big roller thingies.
I said no. Too bulky and heavy for me to carry everywhere.
I use the standard dell laptop bag and keep it as light as possible.

But seriously the amount of stuff some people have to bring with them makes those rollers look like a good idea. I say if you have to bring that much stuff something is wrong. For someone like merc, I'd leave a bunch of stuff in the car or at the office.

Mercutio

It's funny. You try to leave a bunch of stuff in your office, and it's amazing what you end up needing.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I telecommute part-time so it is not uncommon for me to need to bring a lot of paperwork with me. I also work from a different office on occasion. Around here this sort of thing is common as my employer supports 'alternative' work arrangements. That flexibility is a good thing and having to lug a couple of pounds of paper around is a small price to pay when compared to those days I don't even need to leave the house.

Mercutio

I am surprised that the laptop-enabled among us don't have stronger opinions about carrying cases.

And these days, I don't know if a backpack really is unprofessional. Who still wears a jacket and tie that might get wrinkled by a strap?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I just use cheap generic bags (Regal, I think). We buy a half-dozen every now and then and give them away to anyone who buys a laptop. I use the same bags myself. No protection to speak of other than the thickish cloth they are made off (you know, the usual canvas-like stuff with a bit of stiffish foam plastic or something inside and a softer lining) but that is plenty for me. It doesn't get carried around anywhere except the eternal round of home - car - office - car - home - car - bush - car - more bush - car - home - car - office ...... so that level of protection is fine.

They have a couple of document-size slots which I rarely use, room for a texta pen to mark backup DVDs with, and a pocket big enough for trackball and AC/DC power adaptor.

The other stuff I need for trips travels in a dedicated carry bag, a big black canvass thing: a 50 stack of backup media, pre-stamped envelopes to post the backups home in, four bird field guides, some other field guides (mammals, reptiles, fish, a couple of flora ones), half a dozen novels, a similar number of other books (whatever non-fiction I happen to be reading at the time), assorted battery chargers for things I don't use all that often (the main ones are plugged into the car inverter all the time), spare flash card reader, spare camera, soap in a plastic bag, bug repellant, sunscreen, some spare change for emergencies and because I can't be bothered cleaning out the electronics bag too often.

I can pack for a trip of arbitary length in around ten minutes flat. Most of that is making trips out to the car and back carrying the various bags, which are (nearly) always pre-packed and ready to go.

If I'm going to be away for longer than three weeks, I need to remember to take the electric clippers, or else stop at a town somewhere and get a haircut.

There.

Is that sufficient detail for you all? :)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I use three different (mostly Targus) notebook bags - everything from a tiny case made for DVD players to a big one with three compartmrnts that will fit two notebooks or one notebook and a small scanner. It all depends on the location and purpose. None of them have wheels. I also use a great (sadly discontinued) general purpose Eagle Creek travel bag and a notebook sleeve for international photo trips. Plus there are a couple of old notebook cases around here that are occasionally used for shipping.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
High Sierra "A.T. Gear Deluxe"

Now discontinued.

It had very good customer feedback at eBags when I bought it and has held up very well.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't own a jacket, neither a tie. Is anyone surprised?

Oh, and no laptop either. If I had one, it would travel in a backpack.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Mercutio said:
I am surprised that the laptop-enabled among us don't have stronger opinions about carrying cases.

And these days, I don't know if a backpack really is unprofessional. Who still wears a jacket and tie that might get wrinkled by a strap?
Wearing a backpack in a subway might get you shot by the police. Especially in London.

I don't have a strong opinion about laptop bags as, like I mentioned, while I use them every day I just don't go far enough for it to matter. Comfort isn't an issue; neither is weight distribution. Room for my stuff is all that really matters.

When I was hired, I basically told my new boss that if I had to wear a tie I'd look for another job. No on on earth can convince me that the way I look has an impact on my ability to do my job. I still own a couple of suits & several ties; they are worn for special nights out and for weddings and such. I'll be wearing a tie & maybe a suit tomorrow night as some relatives are in from out of town & we're going to a nice place to eat.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
timwhit said:
I could get shot and not die. What if I got shot in the leg?

If you were shot in the leg, I imagine you'd be posting here within an hour or so asking for advice on how to resolve the hardware problem. :wink:

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I picked the edge condition that was unexplained, not the non-lethal condition which may allow you to post.

Anyway I won't further derail the thread with my questions about what happens when a forum member does die.

Mercutio

There are free services on the internet to do it for you.

And we need to work on the procedures for dealing with dead SF members, 'cause the closer it gets the less I want to be over 30.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
There are free services on the internet to do it for you.

And we need to work on the procedures for dealing with dead SF members, 'cause the closer it gets the less I want to be over 30.

Don't say shit like that.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
There's nothing wrong with Mercutio writing he wishes to leave this world. that's his normal state. The day he'll write that everything is now fine in his world, call 911.

Eric worries me a lot more than Merc. Merc is still trying things to better his situation. Eric seems past that point.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Life gets better over 30. It gets lots better over 40. There is usually a crisis time around the 40 mark, or a couple of years earlier: this is very tough. But get past that last and highest hurdle, and life becomes enormously worthwhile. Trust me, you do want to be over 30. I've been there and I know.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin said:
Life gets better over 30. It gets lots better over 40. There is usually a crisis time around the 40 mark, or a couple of years earlier: this is very tough. But get past that last and highest hurdle, and life becomes enormously worthwhile. Trust me, you do want to be over 30. I've been there and I know.

You are unconvincing. After all you did loop back around to 9 or 11 but under 15 for sure. ;)

I'll be 32 in about half a year. There have been downs but overall it's been an upward ride.

As for laptop bags I don't really carry enough stuff far enough to matter. I could probably use a showbox and be fine. I have a 5 year old Targus bag that works great.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I use a Dell backpack to carry the tremendous heft of my InsipRon 8200, and assorted paraphernalia, including PSP and MP3 player.

Since this thread has already been derailed, does anyone use a GPS for navigation? I have to venture into the big city (NYC) for the first time, so I ordered one of these:

iWAY500c_34View_R3D.jpg

http://www.lowrance.com/Automotive/Products/iWAY500C.asp

Gilbo

Storage is cool
While I don't own a laptop bag, I was thinking about getting one for a while. I have some links to places that are well recommended around the net that I gathered over the course of idle research over two or three months.. If I was going to buy anything, I would probably buy a simple sleeve with a handle or strap. Most of the time it would stay in my backpack and give the old laptop a little more protection.

Spire is well recommended and has laptop bags in several different styles from backpack, to bike courier and minimalist sleeves with handles and straps.

If your into leather or want something that looks different (and is more than you should bother spending) take a look at Custom Hide's selection. Pretty neat stuff.

Timbuk2 is also commonly recommended. They have more of a funky (i.e. annoyingly flamboyant) style than Spire, but not all their bags are so cursed.

Shinza has very nice, very protective, simple laptop sleeves. I like those.

Finally, Booqbags has some stuff that is, by all accounts, terrific. I think it's nice looking and they have the whole range from simplistic and minimal to way-more-pockets-than-anyone-with-good-sense-should-need. There's a lot of good stuff there. I like the Mamba XM. Another good thing is that the stuff is not as expensive as it looks. The page I linked is an example of what's available for 14-15" laptops --the site is organized by laptop size.

Stereodude

Not really a
I use a Kensington backpack Laptop case for my Dell. It's great!

I had my fill of crappy laptop bags at my last job when I had to travel with them. The Kensington backpack bag I got for my personal use is much better. One of my former co-workers used a Swiss Army laptop backpack that was more professional looking than the Kensington.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Tannin said:

Speak for yoursefl. My ligfe quality and many otrhers have declined over 30 and especuially over 40. Job opportuntuies are more difficult, cost of fliving are imbceases. everyone must work harder for less un;less in ChinA. The human body begins to malfunction and diintegrate, so aches-pains awer mroe frequent. Then serious proceudres arise, no help and with no ofspring for teh convalescence, hardly any options for odler peoples.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm closer to 60 than I am to 50. But after two heart attacks (one this past Sept) waking up every morning couldn't be better. Everyday is a gift, bringing new challenges and opertunities.

And, if you look around, you will find people that are a lot worse off than you. How about the people in the gulf coast states?? Ever watch someone close to you die of cancer??

Bozo :mrgrn:

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Will Rickards said:
The one dead man's switch piece of software I was thinking of was in a pcworld article I think.
I believe this is the same software.

That loks like an onterstgin one, Has anyone tried it?