LCD failure rate? Spectre?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
I've been looking at LCD's, and, Costco has a 24" Spectre for about 320 bucks.

However, when I look at feedback, they seem to have an early, high failure rate. Is this characteristic of LCD's?

Is it the new monitors going through growing pains?

For this reason, and support, I'm tempted to go with either a
Samsung or Viewsonic.

Comments, observations? Importance of warranty?

ddrueding

Fixture
LCDs, as a technology, no longer count as new. I don't know of anyone still making CRTs at all. Spectre is a cheap brand, expect cheap quality. I buy either of the other brands you mention for that reason. I also make sure that it has dual inputs (DVI and VGA or 2xDVI).

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Went with one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...tedRating=5&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False

Bought it from Costco. Controls aren't easy but, they work. Pretty incredible difference from a 21" CRT. For some reason, it plays espn360.com regular full screen setting better then the CRT does.

How much difference does DVI vs. Analog make, picture wise?

I still have the Sony hooked up, and, it's still working well.

How much power consumption difference is there from a CRT 21"?

Thanks

GS

ddrueding

Fixture
Massive power consumption advantage. 99% of it is becoming heat either way, so you can judge by the amount of heat coming off the device. At that resolution (1680x1050), DVI begins to make a difference. DVI sends the signal digitally, and provides specific instructions to each pixel. VGA is analog, and the LCD has to interpret what is being fed to it. If the "auto calibration" guesses wrong, it won't look as sharp.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thanks David

Ati 1650 has one analog, S-video, and DVI. DVI is now taken.

Considering getting rid of all the CRT's, thanks to Kali power costs. I checked the specs, and, the Samsung takes a good 2/3 less power then the 21" monitors I've got. They take half what the 19" takes I'm typing this on. Plus, I can deduct it on the home office...

I also got about 12" x 6 feet in room in the office, since I can now move the desk up against the wall, instead of a 1 foot from the wall.

The only down side is my cat is super mad, since she can't exactly sleep on top of a LCD.;-(

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
If you use Newegg's picture viewer, the 2nd to last pic of the ViewSonic shows a white DVI connector. Also, RTFM, specifically page 6.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I recently purchased a 24" LCD display. I had it connected with the analog cable that I already had. I purchased a DVI to HDMI cable and hooked up the monitor. The difference was unbelievable. It is definately worth hooking up with DVI.

Bozo :joker: