Leadtek mainboards - good?

Ekaf-Ami

What is this storage?
Ahh, is obvious that is sharply divide of opinion. Every person believe ECS is good, or ECS bad. No-one believe ECS is in-between. I have proof of the type statistical for this: when search on Google Search Engine for phrases "ECS" and "only a little bit crap" is no results at all!

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Ekaf-Ami said:
Ahh, is obvious that is sharply divide of opinion. Every person believe ECS is good, or ECS bad. No-one believe ECS is in-between. I have proof of the type statistical for this: when search on Google Search Engine for phrases "ECS" and "only a little bit crap" is no results at all!

In between here:
ECS K7VTA3 v2 = good
ECS K7AMA = bad

Handruin

Administrator
P5-133XL said:
Ekaf-Ami said:
Excuse me for speaking in this thread, gentlemen and ape, but is of noticable to me that typing "ECS very reliable" into Google Search Engine yields a total of 543 links, wheras typing "ECS crap" into same Google Search Engine as previously mentioned yields 2870 links.

Microsoft crap = 116,000 vs very reliable = 419,000
Kia crap = 3,010 vs very reliable = 8,630
Hyundia crap = 20 vs. very reliable = 51
Compaq crap = 10,700 vs. very reliable = 54,800

Make your own conclusions as to the validity of this survey method.

Point taken, and just to add:

Google skips common words like "the, are, in, and more". So, the data could be correct, except that:

Microsoft crap could actually be "Microsoft isn't crap" and Microsoft very reliable could be "Microsoft isn't very reliable".

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Google skips common words like "the, are, in, and more". So, the data could be correct, except that:

Microsoft crap could actually be "Microsoft isn't crap" and Microsoft very reliable could be "Microsoft isn't very reliable".

Yes, can't you just imagine seeing someone say "Wow. This ECS motherboard isn't crap like I expected. The superior level of performance and rock hard stability is certainly something that every manufaturer should hope to achieve."

as opposed to:

"This blankety-blank ECS piece of crap is so blankety-blank!!! can't go 2 minutes without crashing... I have pulled out all my hair and blankety-blank blank. I have saved $20 on a motherboad but spent 2 years of my life troubleshooting this board. I lost my girlfriend, my dog ran away. MY life is a mess. WHY????/ WHY???/"

James

Storage is cool
time said:
James said:
To be fair I bet you that if you named pretty much any board you'd be able to turn up a seething pile of hatred expressed in postings on the 'net.
Okay, I name Soltek. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to find people who hated one of their motherboards, or failing that were at least unhappy.
Are you refuting the entire generalisation, or do you just object to Soltek through lack of explicit omission being included in it?

Note I said "pretty much" above. That said, putting the tried and tested "Soltek crap" into Google gets 272 results. :roll: Of course, like any of the other searches mentioned above once you look into the results it's obvious it's a pretty useless method of determining quality.

"(Please just don't tell me Soltek is crap - if it is. . . tell me *why* it's crap!? K?)"
"Soltek's reputation is not at all bad; they started off pretty crap, but their last few boards have been top-notch, DRV2 included"
"I repeat, his reviews should not be trusted. For example, he said the Soltek was the best overclocker and the Epox crap."
"Try installing with another griphics card in, my brothers comp ,soltek board , has problems with an install of win2k/xp, locks up at begining when it ..." (The page title included "crap.")
"alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soltek. I know there is a spelling mistake in proposal, I doublechecked the text but forgot to check the subject title. Crap!"

etc. etc.

You also have to take comments in perspective of number of sales - ECS for example reckons it will sell 1.7M motherboards a month this year. (!) I couldn't find figures on Soltek but my impression is that they're a smaller outfit.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Update: we got the RMA replacement boards from Rectron (our Leadtek people) yesterday.In sharp contrast to our ECS RMA, they were prompt, and they replaced all seven boards. Having bought a box of different ones to tide us over, and being in the middle of the quietest trading month of the year, we are now swimming in motherboards. I haven't tried them out yet, but Clint is on my side.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Can't do it, JoJo. Tannin nearly killed me when we got the power bill last month: 50% increase over the same time last year, and most of it undoubtedly due to folding. :(

So I'm on rations: Kristi says I'm not allowed to use more than four spots in the workshop 'cause she needs the space to build machines and stuff, and Tannin say's I'm not allowed to have more than five spots in the showroom, 'cause he's a grumpy old bugger and just likes saying "no". What's worse, Tannin the Tyrant insists on messing with my choice of hardware. The typical conversations go like this:

"Hey, Tannin, can I build a folder?"

"By all means. Go right ahead."

"Cool! I'm going to use ... er ... that Athlon 2100, an Epox KT-333 board, a Gforce III, some DDR .... "

"Tea: stop right there. We build machines to test them out, don't we."

"Yes."

"And we already know that the Athlon 2100 works, and we have half a dozen of those Epox boards, so even if one of them doesn't work we have plenty of spares, so if someones orders a 2100, we are sure to be able to build it, no matter what - aren't we."

"Yes, Tannin."

"Wheras that old Celeron 433 over in the corner - that's an unknown quantity, isn't it."

"Yes, Tannin."

"We don't actually know if it works right or not, do we. And we have those three pcs of suspect 128MB SDRAM to use up, but we have to stress-test them to be sure that they will be OK if we sell them. And you promised that you would check out that crappy Intel 740 video card for me last week, didn't you."

"Yes, Tannin. But ..."

"Tea."

"Yes, Tannin."

See what I mean? He's got no sense of fun. Still, at least he sold a Celeron 433 today, which will give me the chance to replace it with a Duron 900, I think. Unfortunately, he also sold my second-best folder, an XP 1700, and I'll have to see if I can't find something to replace that with. Maybe I can tell him I need to test out all those Leadtek boards with XP 2000s. I don't think he will go for it though.

He's a very boring man.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Tea, your post reminded me of...

Robert Heinlein. He has been called a fascist, right-wing blah, blah, blah, (see the glorification of the military in Starship Troopers), but those who say that should read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Tannin sounds (from your post :) ) like Mr. Heinlein's compromising ruler. Dull, boring, but effective. And has the best interests of the majority at heart...

Weird how threads get subverted isn't it?

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
October and November are always quiet, Jo Jo. In fact, we rely on them being quiet, otherwise we would never get to do nice things like having holidays!

Just an update on the Leadtek boards that we got replaced; we have used three or four of the rerplacements now and no problems whatsoever. By the time we use up the rest of our motherboard stockpile, I guess they will be no longer available, but if they are, at this stage I'll be happy to buy more of them.