LiamC's new page

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
http://users.bigpond.net.au/liamc/ in case anybody missed it.

A good effort, Bill. I never did like the old layout too much, it always looked a little cramped and fussy, this one ismuch nicer. OK, I don't like fliickery white backgrounds and prefer the old colors, but that's just a personal taste thing. The overall layout is simple, clean, and spacious. Well done!

Nice clean coding too. (I always like to "view source" and look under the hood.) It's simple and readable.

Now, shall we try the acid test? I'm looking at it in Mozilla 1.1 Beta for OS/2, and it works fine. Except for the ugly fonts, of course, but that is a Mozilla/2 specialty. But in a moment I'll try a really old Netscape. I don't expect it to lay out properly, but it should be readable. Back in a tic ....

Yup. Works! The right-hand nav bar loads over the top of the left-hand one, but that is acceptable. The page remains readable, even with a stone-age browser, and in a more modern one, it looks great. Just took a look with IE 5 too, equally good. Also Opera 6.04.

Interesting new about the return of Trident, by the way.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Thanks Tea. I'll try to fix the Nutscrape thing. I knew that was going to be hard, but it should still be readable. When I took the project on, I thought "no sweat", but jeez, with the way different browsers do different things...

My wife did the grphics and suggested the colours - design is not my strongpoint. The coding is a bit slapped together though, but I promise to tidy it up! 'Tis funny, at uni I always just coded any old how. After a few years in the workforce I changed my tune. There is nothing like having to revisit some of your *own* code a year or two down the track to make you write more legible stuff...

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
When it comes to revisiting one's own code, I know what you mean! "Slapped together" your code may be, but it still retains the admirable qualities of readability, simplicity, and efficiency.

I can tell you already how to fix the Nutcrape thing. There are three possible methods:

(a) Remove all vestige of stylesheets and other good coding practices from your site.

(b) Do some very clever tricks which I remember reading about but forget the details of. Almost certainly, my source was the ever-excellent A List Apart, or maybe one of the sites it links to.

(c) Use a CSS capable browser.

Method (b)if you must, but I recomment method (c).

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Will, that's the beauty of style sheets. A couple of lines changes those colours/fonts everywhere!

Wait 'til I post the article, there will be a heap of good links including a List Apart - one of the sites I got tips from on how to deal with IE5.0/5.5Windows... There is a fair bit of confusion in this area.

As for tables, you have to assign a text style to the contents and remove width formatting - different browsers seem to treat it differently :x But I'm not 100% on that yet.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Nice site LiamC. Although, after visiting your new site and then clicking on a link for your original site, as like that one too.

Seeing someone's new site and code always makes you think how you can change your own, again.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Hi Tony, yeah, the allowance is only 100MB served per month (which is one of the reasons I use graphics so sparingly. If it becomes a problem I may have to look at more generous hosting. Don't know of a good one do you? Just in case...

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Sing out if it becomes a problem, Bill. Once I get time to set my FTP server up, I will have unlimited space, and I doubt that bandwidth will be an issue. Maybe that could help. Or Pradeep seems to be plugged right in to this stuff - he could make a better suggestion, no doubt.

Handruin

Administrator
LiamC said:
Hi Tony, yeah, the allowance is only 100MB served per month (which is one of the reasons I use graphics so sparingly. If it becomes a problem I may have to look at more generous hosting. Don't know of a good one do you? Just in case...

I could offer some space with your own domain name. I'm not making it a business, but I can put together a custom hosting package. I have the ability to resell web space through voxtreme.com. Storageforum will be moving to their servers shortly, now that I'm back to a computer.

If you are interested, let me know what you may need and I can let you know the details.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
THanks Handruin. I'll drop you a line if Telstra start making noises. I'm going to get some stats on page impressions and see where things are headed...