Lian-Li PC-5 : could have it for cheap.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
So, is it a good case or not. I've never played with a Lian-Li enclosure. I generally read good comments about them, but I don't know how they compare to the Antec like the SX600 for instance.

I just need the enclosure, not the PSU. I'm very tempted to go with the Lian-Li instead of buying yet another Antec Performance-II case. Both are same price. The Lian-Li's comes with three sleeve bearing fans I believe. Not as appealing as dual-ball bearing ones, but still better than not having any. Anyone thinks I would make a bad deal?

BTW, Lian-Li's web site is rather poor on the details and pictures of their enclosures.

honold

Storage is cool
i've never used the pc-5, but i only buy lian-li cases. my main home system is a pc-65b, and my office (mostly comprised of shuttle xpc clusters) uses lian-lis for all the desktops.

my 80mm fans are replaced with enermax adjustables from heatsinkfactory.com

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
So I guess you think the cooling potential is quite acceptable, right? What about the noise level of the stock fans? Is your PC-65 has a removable motherboard tray (PC-5 AFAIK doesn't)? Any quirk I should know before clicking on "checkout"? Will it rain or will it be be sunny tomorrow?

honold

Storage is cool
yes, i think the cooling is acceptable.

the fans used in mine were adda...let me walk downstairs to find them...ad0812mb-a76gl (ball bearing). 25cfm, 22dba.

yes, my tray is removable.

no quirks that i can think of - if you're getting a good deal, take it. they make great stuff.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Found a review of the Pc-5/6 at Dan's Data. Rear fan exhaust seems bad for airflow. Apart from that, it looks like a pretty good case. Three fans and even a dust filter included. I am tempted...

honold

Storage is cool
i've got a couple pc-30s too, i wonder how it compares directly to them?

GMac

Learning Storage Performance
I'm definitely a Lian Li fan :) I run my 2100+ XP based system with a trio of 10K SCSI drives in a PC-60 case (with a 3 vertically mounted behind the 2 80mm fans) and the case temp rarely gets above 30C (albeit with a modified YS-Tech fan replacing the one that was fitted at the rear). Very easy to work with, and not particularly intrusive noise-wise either (I've got an Enermax 460W PSU with variable speed fan, so I can dial it back when I'm surfing or listening to a CD). Very nice case, and I'd recommend them to anyone.

GM

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Thanks. I bought one yesterday for around 74$CDN + shipping along with a bunch of other computer parts. I'll put an Enermax dual-fans 350W PSU into it. I'm sick of seeing Clocker fly away from me on the F@h stats...