Life Sucks...

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
MaxBurn said:
One of few people that pays off the credit card every month, I am sure capitol one hates me as they don't make much money off me at all.
Same here. I haven't paid a dime in interest on my credit card purchases ever. I limit myself to what I can pay in full at the end of the month.

BTW, I have $14,000 in credit despite the fact that my usual annual income is well under the $10K mark. Go figure.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Coug, LOST, do those amounts include a mortgage or something?

I think I've carried a balance on my credit cards maybe four times (one of those times I had a balance on a card of like $4.57, that I just didn't feel like writing a check for). I remember basically my whole income for two years going to student loans when finished school. I basically told myself "never again".

The other side to that is that I've had cards cancelled because I don't use them enough.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
jtr1962 said:
BTW, I have $14,000 in credit despite the fact that my usual annual income is well under the $10K mark. Go figure.

<$100K, you mean?

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Mercutio said:
Coug, LOST, do those amounts include a mortgage or something?

No, I have no house anymore, just a total loser alone.

The other side to that is that I've had cards cancelled because I don't use them enough.

Same here.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
LOST6200 said:
jtr1962 said:

<$100K, you mean?
No, I mean $10K. I'm in business for myself with one client. The future may very well see $100K or perhaps even optimistically $500K, perhaps within 10 years if I'm lucky. I decided to do what I do for two reasons. First of all, decent-paying jobs seem to exist less and less in today's service economy. Last time I looked, all I could get despite my educational background would be $10/hour jobs where I would be killing myself along with being bored silly (and my carpal tunnel syndrome would keep me from most types of full-time employment anyway). Second, I like to be able to set my own hours and days off (this is very, very important to me). The small tradeoff is worth it to me. Truthfully, once you factor in the extra taxes and carfare I'd be paying on a $10/hour job, I'm maybe only $100 per week behind doing what I do (and I work on average 5 hours a week versus the 50 or more I'd put in the other way with travel time). Basically, I'd put in an extra 45 hours for another $100 take-home. Hardly an effective use of my time. Right now I'm trying to get more clients and/or branch out into other things. I bill at $50 to $60/hour for what I do (mostly electronic design and prototyping, along with some repair). I could probably get away with $100/hour with a client with deep enough pockets.

Yeah, I live with my parents. I still would have to even working full-time given what rents are here. I probably still will until I make enough to move out and find a companion. I hate the idea of living alone.

Welcome to the new economy. :(

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Sorry about that, man. :( Oddly enough, I always regretted not getting my EE degrees and heading towards design and engineering, but ended up in R&D in a different scientific arena. I guess with manufacturing and design of so many products sent offshoresd, it is not good for positions in the US. Now I manage projects outsourced all over the US and many are moving to Europe and Asia as well. Meanwhile I cannot find good people for low level positions (3-5 years) in this area even though the pay is fairly good. (The cost of living, especially housing has gotten so high that everyone has a one-hour commute.) I am too old top put up with that sh*t anymore given the crazay drivens around here, so I consider it a temporary job until the bootom falls out. I will be lucky to die fairly young before I cannot find work anymore, since I can't save enough to retire and have a meningful qwuality of life prior to that. Meanwhile the parents are stiil alive and I am concerned about supporting them in teh final years.

B

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You broke your big toe instead of the small toe this time?

Hang on, you're still better than you would be in other parts of the world.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
And now it is sudentrly like 10 timed worse! How muxch mroe hgoorible can it get withou the srurviviros, I have' no ideas.