LimeWire, Morpheus, eMule, eDonkey, which one?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I heard the name LimeWire before, but only a few moments ago did I learn that it is a P2P file sharing software (I went to download.com in search of an old game). Morpheus 5.0 is also listed among the most popular downloads and the reviewer wrote that it protects privacy and is free from any spyware (which came to a surprise to me since I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, a few years ago, that it was bundled with unwanted programs).

I currently use eMule 0.46c (not often, but still). I'm not sure, but I think Morpheus uses the same network as the old KaZaA ; a bad thing. I have no idea about LimeWire.

What about eDonkey? Seems similar to eMule.

Which one is the most desirable?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Morpheus isn't part of the FastTrack network any more. It connects to Gnutella, primarily. Kazaa, Grokster and iMesh use FastTrack.

eMule is good for ed2k stuff.
I use Kazaa Lite Resurrection for FastTrack when I need that.
I've never found the Gnutella network to be useful, helpful or even particularly responsive.
WinMX was/is good for music downloading. I'm not sure what the current status of their deal is right now though.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
If you want to download torrents, I use mininova.org. I also use a couple of member-only sites.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
It depends on what you want to download.

High profile, current items are best downloaded as a torrent for pure speed.

Older and rarer files are best found on Emule.

For both types, I'd recommend a good modded client over the vanilla versions.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
What good modded client exits for eMule? I currently use the default client 0.46c build 2. I downloaded Bitcomet for BitTorrent files yesterday.

I mainly use Torrent to download Linux distro iso. eMule is for music that I either want to try (if I like it, I buy the CD) and old movies (+3 years) that I missed at the time at the theater.

Mercutio

Coug, did you read the thread about Torrent clients and relative suckiness in the Tech Support forum?

BitComet works OK, but only if you don't want to do anything else on the internet.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
No, I must have missed that one. I'll try it anyway if I don't plan to touch the computer for the following few hours. I'm currently using the default BitTorrent client.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
CougTek said:
What good modded client exits for eMule?

One that I used for a while was NeoMule. I has a lot of good tweaks. I have not used it for some time though.

The one I use these days I don't want to mention publicly. It is considered "evil" by most P2P forums since it gives the user an unfair advantage in speeding through queues. It is kind of a pain in the ass since you have to be a member at a certain P2P forum (the client actually checks username & password) to be able to unlock all the features. Send me a PM if you want the info.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
There're well enough people who don't love me these days, I don't need any help from an evil client to add to that amount.

Thanks anyway. I'm just a casual P2P user. I simply want something that works well without giving me a headache.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Azureus is not too quick with the downloading either. From my tests of different clients BitTornado is the best. It still uses quite a bit of memory, but at least you will get your download finished faster.

Mercutio

The niche I've found for Azureus is that it is far, far more polite about using bandwidth. It's slow, yeah, but it doesn't make the internet slow for every other person in my office, either.

Using Azureus I tend to have a lot more torrents open at any one time, too.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
For some reason using Azureus tends to slow my internet browsing way down, much out of proportion to the sum of what I'm downloading. I'm guessing this is due to the things going on in the background like uploading to others.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
If you saturate your upstream bandwidth, your browsing will grind to a halt even if you have plenty of download bandwidth to play with. If you can throttle/set the upload bandwidth, you should. If your on cable/ADSL, then try 75% of max. and see how you go.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
LiamC said:
If you saturate your upstream bandwidth, your browsing will grind to a halt even if you have plenty of download bandwidth to play with. If you can throttle/set the upload bandwidth, you should. If your on cable/ADSL, then try 75% of max. and see how you go.

Yup, that was it. Problem solved. Thanks!