Linux Mint+Virtual Box+MS Mouse

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I am running Linux Mint in Virtual Box. I have a MS wireless keyboard and mouse that has a USB reciever. Everything works fine except the mouse wheel. It is jumpy and sporadic.
I have installed Guest Additions twice, ran the Linux Mint update program, and installed some mouse software I found in the software packages. Still, a very choppy wheel.
Any suggestions?

>I have the same problem with the wheel when Linux Mint is installed fresh to bare metal too.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have had problems with MS mouse wheels in general. With one standard Windows XP machine with no special drivers installed, the wheel would occasionally make the browser go back a page, the rest of the time working normally?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I am using that MS wireless mouse and there is no problem, but I have read that some people have issues. I've grabbed the mouse so much that the silver has worn off. :) I keep the USB receiver under the table about a foot away.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Is it out of bounds to suggest a different mouse to see if there's something weird about the Microsoft one?

There should be a pointer settings tool in your GUI someplace, or a way to install it if it's been overlooked.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Do you have a handy windows vm you can copy to that host for testing and compare against the Mint guest?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Is it out of bounds to suggest a different mouse to see if there's something weird about the Microsoft one?

There should be a pointer settings tool in your GUI someplace, or a way to install it if it's been overlooked.

Don't anything handy at the moment, but I'll see what I can dig up.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The mouse wheel works fine in Virtual XP. I'll search the Mint site some more.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Are you passing the raw USB device to Mint, or are you letting VB emulate a mouse, and it in turn is just passing on the mouse events?

I don't know. But, if I do a clean install to bare metal with Mint, the mouse does the same thing.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Digging through the X.org 7.6 downloads for input devices, Microsoft Mice (on USB) may be supported using the following protocol options:

"Auto" - Let X.org attempt to work it out (the default)
"usb" - X.org will just use the default/generic USB HID events. No special device handling.
"Microsoft" - Early Intellimouse versions. (fixes scroll wheel support).

For mice that can work as either USB or PS/2 (via the adapter) then the following may also be applicable:
"IntelliMouse"
"IMPS/2"
"ExplorerPS/2"

An example Mouse section would be:
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

And just change the Protocol option until one finds something that works.

Last edited:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for all the suggestions. I look into it next week when I get back on that computer.