Linux question

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Something I was wondering about, I hope someone can answer.

Say I start out with Red Hat 7.3, install it and apply all the patches/updates.

Say I then start out with the same machine, but start with RH8.0 or 9.0 discs, install the same set of files, apply all the applicable patches, do I end up at the same spot from the two installs?

I suppose another way of stating things is - if I upgrade W2K with new explorer/DX/drivers etc, I am still on the W2K code base.

Is this the same under linux, or by applying all the X/kernel/module/SAMBA/app patches, do I end up at the latest release?

If this is true, then the only advantage from using a later disc set, would be less to download -> as you would have later versions of the kernel/X etc - and it is a more desireable feature IMO.

All this assumes that same machine, same apps loaded etc.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
It might be possible to upgrade to the same level, but it would require massive recompiling installing and uninstalling. (i've never updated the kernel so I'm not possitive) Using the redhat update it is not possible. It's just too much to do, a reinstall of the OS would make more sense.

if you're worried about upgrading, partition your setup so that /home is on its own partition, same for other things you think you'd be interested in keepiong across installs (personally, I only keep /home and individually save the .conf files for anything important)

Deadwood

What is this storage?
I believe that with Gentoo you can upgrade to the very latest no problem. I agree with blakerwry that there is no way using redhat package updates to update a redhat 7.3 install to be a redhat 8.0 equivalent. Usually, the kernel versions will vary between releases, and lots of other things like XFree86 and even which version of mozilla it comes with. Security patches usually don't upgrade the version of, say, mozilla from 1.0 to 1.4 or even 1.1 (they just upgrade from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 or something).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The kernel would be the least of your worries. Really a very simple deal. Upgrading gcc is where the fun is.

In general you can get to the same place. You'll orphaned files sitting around that you aren't using any more. No big deal. You may also have to re-write the odd config file. All in all I'd say there's better ways to use your time. RedHat and the like have already done the hard work for you, and if you're interested in learning more about the underlying software, a linux-from-scratch setup is probably better than aping RedHat.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
The "easier" path is to stick to RH distributions, and up2date.

With up2date, you get the errata and security etc patches, so that your system is relatively safe from know bugs. But it's not meant to be/isn't an "upgrade distribution" program. For that you need to use a real distribution to do it . So you won't get from 7.3 to 8 with that, as it doesn't upgrade to new versions.

I think this is deffinitely the preferable method for most people, as deviating from the distribution/up2date method can lead to a lot of fun stuff (unless it happens in the middle of the night, you're stressed out and you need to get that program/system working NOW! :mrgrn: ). Fun stuff as in a lot of headache sometimes to get something to work. The technical knowledge needed to solve a probelm , when deviating from the clean distribution/up2date method, is also a lot higher in my opinion.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Mercutio said:
RedHat and the like have already done the hard work for you, and if you're interested in learning more about the underlying software, a linux-from-scratch setup is probably better than aping RedHat.

The distributions are tested (to some extent), so I'll have to agree that sticking to the distro is more trouble free.

I had a system that was upgraded from 7.0 ->7.1 -> 7.2 -> 9, with a lot of new versions of programs added in between manually, and ended up with a lot of unresolved dependencies :(. Also meaning that I couldn't use up2date anymore to easily update some of the programs, like evolution etc...

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Thank you guys for explaining the pitfalls. Best off to get a 9.0 distro and go from there.