Linux Server

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
In my quest to virtualize some of our computers/servers, I have decided to use VMWare server on Linux.
I begain trying the usual Linux builds like Ubuntu, Debian, and Suse and Fedora. I decided that using Linux Server would be the best bet though.
While searching for a reliable Linux Server OS, I found that they all want money. Except one, Oracle.
Seems Oracle Server is Red Hat Enterprise Server, for free! It is extreamly stable and rather easy to use. As I am a Linux idiot, I found that this version was very forgiving and I had no trouble installing the software I needed.
Just thought I would pass this on as Free is always good.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
CentOS is the same as Red Hat Enterprise Linux and costs nothing. We use it here for our linux servers. I don't trust Oracle. They are also a pain in the ass to work with and their support is useless.

ddrueding

Fixture
I did an Ubuntu install (desktop with a GUI, not the "server" command line) for a VMWare server install, but ESXi is just better.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
CentOS is the same as Red Hat Enterprise Linux and costs nothing. We use it here for our linux servers. I don't trust Oracle. They are also a pain in the ass to work with and their support is useless.

Thanks, that's good to know. Downloading CentOS now.

Handruin

Administrator
SF is hosted using centos as part of parrallels. Just putting in another good word for it.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'll play devil's advocate and put in a bad word for it then.

I encourage you to consider:

I think most would agree that it is ususally desirable for stable long term support for servers. However, providing that can be considerably difficult and time consuming. Bozo notes "While searching for a reliable Linux Server OS, I found that they all want money". I hope the two links above outline why this is so, and provide an insight as to why Centos is not the blessing that it may first appear to be.

* I note that Jean works fo SUSE
** I note that this 2nd thread is actually about the planned reduction in service live of openSUSE support

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
After downloading and installing CentOS server, I can't see any differences between it and Oracle. (except for the logos)