Lite-On 32x12x40x + Acard SCSI bridge = A-OK

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I got a couple of Lite-On 32x CD-R drives drives today, along with an Acard IDE to narrow-SCSI bridge.

Installed a drive in a Windows 2000 Server machine (actually, in an external enclosure. Whatever), loaded Nero 5.5.6 (included in the box - not a bad deal for $75)... oddly, the installer crashed until I rebooted the machine. No idea why. Maybe the bridge?

So, 32x CD-R, over the SCSI bridge.

Works pretty well. The drive exceedingly quiet while burning - a little louder when reading a plain old CD. No louder than my surviving Yamaha 8x burner. I was able to make 10 CDs in 44 minutes, with disc sizes varying between 655 and 690MB, and including the time I spent futzing around with Nero.

Another positive: Optical cable interface.

Haven't had any disconnect problems yet. Near as I can tell the drive and the bridge both work flawlessly.

The only down side is that the tray mechanism seems cheap. It "stutters" when I pop it open, like some low-cost CD-ROM drives. It's a Lite-On unit, so I'm not worried yet, but something I'm going to keep an eye on.

Net of this deal: For a total of $132 including shipping, I have a 32x SCSI CD-RW. Compare that to $180 on pricewatch. Not bad at all.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Mercutio -

Where did you buy from? I added the same Lite-On drive to my fiance's PC (pure IDE) and have enjoyed it's performance. However, I'm all-SCSI and don't want to enable IDE in my system. My Yamaha 4x4x16 is really ancient now and no longer works reliably so I'm quite interested in a replacement.

PS: Even if it's a local dealer, that's cool. I'm in Schaumburg now but will be moving to Aurora on the 29th. Trips to Indiana are frequent.

Thanks,
Fushigi

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The drives came from my local distributor. One for a customer, one for me to replace a SCSI burner that failed (in warranty, thankfully). The card came from http://www.emaxasp.com/drpcs/details.asp?item=AC09AEC7720U

When I bought mine, the price was actually $7 lower than what I see now. It's kind-of a chintzy outfit, which is why I only bought one card. I had to call in my order after finding what I wanted.

Supposedly there can be disconnect problems with the bridge, but I haven't run in to any yet. If this thing runs pretty well, I'll probably buy several more bridges just to keep them around for later additions like DVD-burners.

Retail on the Lite-On drive is supposed to be something like $90, but retail for the 40x Lite-On is only about $15 more. I'm not sure whether shaving another 20 seconds off the time you spend burning a disc is worth $15, though.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Very interesting. So it uses a floppy power connector for power? It would be nice to escape IDE cable limits for my optical drives.