Long range wireless PCI network card

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I can't say I've ever had good luck with desktop internal WLAN hardware. Your best bet probably is to upgrade antennas, but everything 802.11 has an element of crapshoot to it, just because of all the environmental issues. Can you replace the antennas on the AP side as well?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I think I can. That's a good idea. The range is over 300ft and both are indoor on the opposite (farther) wall of their respective buildings. At least those (farm) buildings aren't made of concrete. The Alfa USB wireless network device allowed a 3-4bars/5 and it's rated at 5dB gain, so it can be done.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've found this. It should be about as good as the Alfa device. I'll compare both the EnGenius and the internal TP-Link with three high gain antennas and I'll let you guys know.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
...you often are. ;)

I'm sure that TP-Link wireless USB device is better than average, but in the specifications, the gain is said to be 3dB. An average antenna is only 2dB, but the Alfa wireless USB device had a 5dB antenna, so there's a good chance the TP-Link you've linked would come up short.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I was looking for something that was a bit more reasonably priced then the Alfa.

Buying a wireless card that is more expensive then a motherboard-cpu combination, that then puts the antenna down behind the computer, an excellent source of interference makes me think there has to be a better way to do this...

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
No Pringles can antenna suggestions yet?

As I understand it the newer chipsets supporting 3x3 with the associated three antennas do about the best job without getting exotic with funky antennas.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I still haven't had the chance to compare the three antennas PCI card with the EnGenius external USB device. My supplier has changed its transport company and deliveries have gone to shit since. I've been waiting since Tuesday for the stupid card. At least the customer understands.