Looking for a small Digital Camera

ddrueding

Fixture
...like really small.

My GF needs a "really small" digital camera. I asked if a pack of cigarettes would be ok, and she implied that that would be on the large side. For reference, I used to smoke Nat Shermans (smaller case than normal).

So she needs a really small camera and would like an optical zoom. She also needs to hold at least 100 photos on whatever media it uses and the whole thing can't be more than several hundred dollars.

I know nothing about this business, so I'm hoping you guys can give me some pointers.

TIA, PUI

David

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
OT: Merc, Chuck also has presence and at least some personality, which the subject alluded to in your sig doesn't.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I own a Digital Elph and it is a lot bigger than a pack of cigarettes.

Here are a couple of cameras that are pretty small:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T1 - Dimensions: 3 5⁄8" x 2 3⁄8" x 4⁄5" - $499 retail

Silver Cyber-shot U DSCU50KITIS - Dimensions: 4" x 1 5/8" x 1" - $299 Retail

Casio Exilim EX-Z40 4MP - Dimensions: 3.43" x 2.24" x 0.91" - $400 @ Newegg - My buddy owns this camera and it is pretty nice. The only thing I don't like about it is the LCD screen on it is not that nice.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks guys. To be honest, I didn't think anything smaller than the elph existed...I learn so much from you guys....

OT: I just ordered a pair of these:

Antec 3U Rackmount Chasis with EPS-12V Power Supply
Tyan Thunder K8S Pro Motherboard (Part # S2882G3NR)
2x AMD Opteron 246 CPUs
4x 1GB PC3200 Registered ECC RAM
3Ware Escalade 9500S-4LP
4x Western Digital 740GD “Raptor” 74GB Hard Drives
1x Hitachi 7k250 250GB SATA Hard Drive w/8MB Cache
Supermicro 5-port SATA hot-swap enclosure
Sony DRU-700A Dual Layer DVD Burner

Should be fun.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Why David, it's nice to see you finally settled on a reasonable solution for your girlfriends gaming machine... :mrgrn: :wink:

s

ddrueding

Fixture
Santilli said:
Why David, it's nice to see you finally settled on a reasonable solution for your girlfriends gaming machine... :mrgrn: :wink:

s

:mrgrn:

It may weigh 50 lbs, but it does have 2 handles...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
This latest generation of Kyocera/Yashica digicams has some nice features. I was hoping to try one last year, but they were too expensive locally.

The main feature is fast continuous shooting (3.5fps). Perhaps uniquely, the display keeps working in real time and you can keep going until the card fills up.

Same with the motion video. It can capture 640x480@30fps until the card fills up (mind you, that chews up an awful lot of storage).

I suggest you check out reviews for the SL300R, presumably the same camera with different CCD:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/sl300r.html

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SL300R/SL3A.HTM

Don't forget a spare battery!