Looking for ISDN LAN Modem w/VPN endpoint/passthrough

ddrueding

Fixture
That about sums it up. I have a remote location 30 miles from anywhere, barely in ISDN range, and need an ISDN LAN modem that is capable of serving as a VPN endpoint as well.

I've tried 3Com's OCLM series, as well as Netopia's R300. Both claim VPN passthrough capability, neither works. Help?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
I've decided that consumer-grade VPN pass-thru is a myth.

The problem usually lies with the hosting VPN endpoint server rather than the remote router handling the passthrough. I'm not sure anything short of a Cisco PIX or equivalent will work.

Of course, I'm referring to IPSec. PPP should work.

ISDN is now poorly supported. If Netopia doesn't work for you, I think you'll have to couple an ISDN modem/router with a VPN router (or maybe mess around with a 'nix box and a modem?).

DrayTek certainly has good ISDN/VPN solutions, but unfortunately they're not available in the US, eg: http://www.draytek.com.au/faq/isdn.htm

BTW, why are you using passthrough rather than an endpoint with the Netopia?

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, I have these spiffy Linksys VPN routers that seem to work fairly well (time knows better than I), and the first thing I thought of was to use the same device on both ends and use the modem in passthrough mode for compatability's sake. Then I decided it would be sompler to use the same device as the endpoint. Neither the Netopia nor the 3Com can be an endpoint.

ddrueding

Fixture
Bump. I need to send in my reccomendation tomorrow. If all you had was an ISDN to the internet and needed to get a LAN onto a VPN, what would you do? What would you buy? I can do almost anything I want within those limitations.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You're a windows-person right?

I think I'd do ICS. Use some craptastic old PC and a copy of 2000 Pro. I think you're going to be SOL with ISDN routers. There aren't very many around any more and it doesn't sound like you have gobs of time to experiment with 'em.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks Merc, thats what I was thinking. The only ISDN/router review I could find was from 1999 and the two "winners" of the bunch are the two I've already tried.