Looking for secure backup option

davidtech

What is this storage?
Hi, I would like to backup all my files, so far I have around 200GB and I wonder, where to put it? External HDD is good option, but I would prefer online storage.

I have found out, that Mozy offers unlimited file size and storage capacity for 4.95$ . Do you think, it is reliable or is there something better? I would expect to access files on my iPhone also.

Handruin

Administrator
First I'll disclose that I have slight bias because I work for the parent company which acquired Mozy, but I do use their product to backup roughly 500GB of data. I don't work or interact with the Mozy team in any way, I'm only a consumer of their product.

The upload speed I get maxes out around 1Mb/sec for me, but I've had no problems with saving my data onto their storage/servers. You can always try the free version which is capped at 2GB and decide if it's something you like. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Handruin

Administrator
I get about 15.8 Mb down (or 1.9MB/sec in a best case situation). I haven't actually tried downloading from Mozy so the speed could obviously be slower. Worst case, I can use their option to have them send me DVD's of the data through the mail. I use Mozy as a 3rd form of off-site backup. Hopefully if a drive dies, I can just restore from the local copy and not have to download 500GB of data.

Stereodude

Not really a
Hi, I would like to backup all my files, so far I have around 200GB and I wonder, where to put it? External HDD is good option, but I would prefer online storage.
Do both. You shouldn't trust someone else to backup your data as the only backup or you could end up :eek:wneddnce:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
200GB is easy enough to back up on a consumer-class external drive or two. If it's truly precious stuff I'd buy a couple of those - maybe a Lacie consumer NAS + a 2.5" external drive, along with a decent backup program like TrueImage.

Mozy at $5 a month for home users isn't bad, but the business or server backup costs are completely insane. I was quoted (if I recall correctly) $70 a month to back up two servers with maybe a total of 100GB of data.

Handruin

Administrator
I agree about the cost of the server/enterprise version, it's very costly. I've inquired about using those at work and we haven't been able to get free accounts even though we own them. Could just be some other internal cost factor that doesn't allow us, but it would be nice to have that even for some things at work.

Mercutio

I have customers that HATE to change/remove their external backup drives, but I don't think I can justify selling them $.50 a gigabyte per month to not have to do that.

Handruin

Administrator
Their pricing must be geared for large enterprise customers, I can't even see how small to medium sized businesses could justify the $0.50/gig either.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
$70 a month for 100GB? Yikes. We pay about $500 a month for Recall to pick up backup tapes every day. That includes door to door service, off-site vaulting, reporting good for the auditors, and up to x tapes a day (not sure how many, but more than one and we use LTO4). And we get tapes back in under 4 hours if we do an emergency recall (at extra cost). No worries about bandwidth, tapes can be delivered anywhere, etc.

Handruin

Administrator
How large is the company? Is it an enterprise business (15-20K+ employees)?

Mercutio

I'm REALLY thinking that if my contracting ever picks up again I'm going to get an LTO4 changer. $4000 (including the tapes) isn't all that much to be able to keep all my stuff properly backed up, considering how much I've invested in everything so far.

Jim_Morrison

What is this storage?
I am currently using a free version of backupandShare . com and it is working just fine for me. Infact planning to upgrade to their 'Individual' plan @ $49.95 a year which isn't bad at all for the backups they are offering as of now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mercutio

Mozy is still "personal use only."

Of Mozy's business support includes Exchange and Active Directory support, not just disk space on the internet. I'm sure Mozy is a stronger product overall.

Jim_Morrison

What is this storage?
Aww... How cute... And you joined here just to tell us that. :bstd:
We are here to share our views and opinions, and my post was on the related topic.

I am using Backup&Share.com to access files on my iPhone. Being a frequent traveler I need easy access of my important docs to my mobile every now and then. With Backup&share.com I am relaxed on that front. Earlier I used mozy but I switched to backup&share.com mainly for this feature. Their mobile version is very handy to access and download files on iphone. Backup&Share.com also provides free storage area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stereodude

Not really a
Technically I think this might be Astroturfing.
But, as I said, at least the guy is on topic.
I guess he just needs his posts edited so Google can't find them, and perhaps a custom user title. :skepo:

And, who's to say his buddy davidtech didn't start the topic for him to join a few days later and astroturf / spam?

Handruin

Administrator
Not that it means a ton, but they both have different IP addresses.

davidtech

What is this storage?
Thanks for your interests shown in the thread. But going by the posts I feel I am really not getting any solution for my query here. I don’t really wish to get into any kind of accusations hence I am backing off from this forum.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks for your interests shown in the thread. But going by the posts I feel I am really not getting any solution for my query here. I don’t really wish to get into any kind of accusations hence I am backing off from this forum.

What was it you didn't like about BackupandShare.com? Did you even look at it? Having the requirement to access files on your iPhone is pretty unusual and specific and BackupandShare.com seems to meet all of your requirements. Did you find something better than BackupandShare.com?

Stereodude

Not really a
What was it you didn't like about BackupandShare.com? Did you even look at it? Having the requirement to access files on your iPhone is pretty unusual and specific and BackupandShare.com seems to meet all of your requirements. Did you find something better than BackupandShare.com?
:nono: C'mon man, you've got to hotlink every reference to them. :nono:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
yourdoingitwrong.jpg