Loss of system restore points when alternating between Windows XP and Windows 7

apairofpcs

Learning Storage Performance
This is the 2nd thread since my March 3, 2012 registration. I have been having a problem for the longest time, making me reluctant to alternate between my Windows XP and Windows 7 OSs, each one installed on a different physical hard drive.

When I look at the list of system restore points in either OS, restart into the other OS, restart back into the 1st OS and check the restore points, there are none. Seeing no restore points is a scary sight, meaning that I will have no way to recover the OS to a stable state if it has a mishap.

The OSs in question are Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 and Windows 7 Ultimate. Each one has the latest Windows Update modules installed on it. Each one is free of viruses and malware.

I believe that this is a documented problem. Does anybody know how I can retain the restore points in each OS, while using each one as I wish?

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't like system restore. It isn't a backup per-se, because it is on the same drive and can be effected by viruses, etc. It also doesn't give me the kind of control that I like in such things. Get disk imaging software of some kind and keep complete drive images offline in removable storage. There are many choices out there, but I have to run at the moment.

apairofpcs

I don't like system restore. It isn't a backup per se, because it is on the same drive and can be effected by viruses, etc. It also doesn't give me the kind of control that I like in such things. Get disk imaging software of some kind and keep complete drive images offline in removable storage. There are many choices out there, but I have to run at the moment.

I agree. It has no configurable features. Do you remember a program that was included in Windows 95 called ERU, Emergency Recovery Utility? Look here..... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/139437 Here are the files it copied..... Config.sys, Autoexec.bat, Win.ini, System.ini, Protocol.ini, User.dat, System.dat, Io.sys, Command.com, Msdos.sys and Explorer.exe. I can't count the times that I was able to recover from a crash or another mishap, while using Win 95 and Win 98.

We live in modern times, and the complexity of our pcs require more complex backup systems. I will look for a better choice than System Restore.

You never answered my question about the loss of restore points, though. System Restore has also saved my pcs from certain death.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I would recommend an imaging utility such as Clonezilla or Acronis True Image. Acronis is nice because it can image a running system. Clonezilla is nice because it's free and open source.

ddrueding

Fixture
I can't answer your questions on System Restore because I don't use it. In fact, I disable it as one of the first steps of configuring a new machine. Since you have two OSes, you can just use Clonezilla to clone the drive you aren't currently booting from. It also makes a convenient place to restore from, and a separate drive to store the image.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You really, REALLY shouldn't disable System Restore on a working Windows 7 machine. There's simply no other repair mechanism available for Windows 7. You can do a repair install on XP, but that's not an option on 7. 7's built-in backup with system image is sort-of useful and integrated with its repair options, as is System Restore.

It's a different story if you're actually doing something else for backup (TrueImage is cool but Continuous Backup is a POS) and being proactive about it, but since most people aren't, it's a pretty good idea to keep the idiot proof system up and running.

Anyway, dual boot breaks compatibility with lots of things. It would not shock me if System Restore is one of them. As I recall, on my triple-boot classroom machines, it's flat-out deactivated for each of XP, Vista and 7 because I wasn't able to get working backups from it either.

apairofpcs

I can't answer your questions on System Restore because I don't use it. In fact, I disable it as one of the first steps of configuring a new machine. Since you have two OSes, you can just use Clonezilla to clone the drive you aren't currently booting from. It also makes a convenient place to restore from, and a separate drive to store the image.

Another vote for Clonezilla. I like that the clone can be stored on one of the other hard drives that is not in use.

apairofpcs

You really, REALLY shouldn't disable System Restore on a working Windows 7 machine. There's simply no other repair mechanism available for Windows 7. You can do a repair install on XP, but that's not an option on 7. 7's built-in backup with system image is sort-of useful and integrated with its repair options, as is System Restore.

It's a different story if you're actually doing something else for backup (TrueImage is cool but Continuous Backup is a POS) and being proactive about it, but since most people aren't, it's a pretty good idea to keep the idiot proof system up and running.

Anyway, dual boot breaks compatibility with lots of things. It would not shock me if System Restore is one of them. As I recall, on my triple-boot classroom machines, it's flat-out deactivated for each of XP, Vista and 7 because I wasn't able to get working backups from it either.

I never intended on disabling it anyway, regardless of the other cloning/backup program I use. I will let it serve my needs in the background, by creating a restore point before incorporating Windows Updates and other vital operations.

So there is no known way to retain the list of restore points across different OSs?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
If I remember correctly from the Win 7 Beta, XP and Win 7 system restore are not compatable with each other. Win 7 will erase XP's files and start it's own.

I am presently trying out EaseUS free version. It will recover to dissimilar hard ware and has a setting to install your backup to a SSD.
There is also a WD Acronis verion that is free, but you must have a WD hard drive installed. I believe Seagate has one too.

apairofpcs

If I remember correctly from the Win 7 Beta, XP and Win 7 system restores are not compatable with each other. Win 7 will erase XP's files and start it's own.

I am presently trying out EaseUS free version. It will recover to dissimilar hard ware and has a setting to install your backup to a SSD.
There is also a WD Acronis vesrion that is free, but you must have a WD hard drive installed. I believe Seagate has one, too.

Hello again, Bozo, even if it is in a different thread.

My scenario does not follow that of the Win 7 Beta. I lose my Win 7 restore points and always retain my XP restore points, no matter how often I restart using each OS.

If you recall from my 1st post in the "Desktop freezes......" thread, I have two WD 250 GB SATA drives, along with a Samsung 250 GB SATA drive in one desktop case. Since the WD Acronis program will work with the WD drive, I will need a program to work with the Samsung drive. I am wondering if I should even consider cloning programs that are specific to one brand of drive, or find ONE that will work with every brand? This is where my inexperience shows.

I have downloaded both of your recommendations. I'll post my findings after I examine them.