Low cost / High performance build suggestions

Stereodude

Not really a
OK, so my main computer is a water cooled P4-3.06HT. It's well over 5 years old. I'm thinking to build another machine to replace it. I'm thinking Intel Core2 Duo or maybe Core2 Quad (unless there's a really compelling reason to go AMD).

What's the suggested bang for the buck motherboard or chipset, CPU, and other parts these days? I haven't been paying any attention to things much lately. I do know that Microcenter is selling their Intel Q6600's for $199.99 at the local stores, so I was thinking of snagging one of them (if that's a good choice).

- I don't plan to water cool this PC.
- I don't need a video card since I've got a spare PCI-E nVidia 7900GS that's sitting unused since I pulled it from my HTPC.
- I would like to keep this PC quiet, but I don't have any plans on going crazy on it like I did with my HTPC.
- I won't be gaming, so SLI support isn't needed
- RAID-1 on the motherboard would be nice
- Support for at least 2 IDE devices is essential (for my old optical drives)
- I would prefer a motherboard with built in firewire support and lots of USB ports
- Motherboard must have gigabit ethernet
- I plan to run XP
- ATX form factor
- Lower power is better

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd recommend a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 at 2.3GHz. I have mine running at 3.3GHZ with stock cooling and voltage settings.
The Kingston KVR800D2K2 / 2G RAM runs fine in this setup.
The motherboard has RAID 1 and the Gb ethernet.

Bozo :joker:

Stereodude

Not really a
Why do you recommend that over say a Core 2 Duo E8200 (45nm with more L2 cache)?

It's faster MHz, per MHz, should overclock better, and uses a lot less power MHz per MHz.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The compelling reasons to stick with AMD at this point are more motherboard features at a given price point, and ability to use higher-density RAM. Most of the AMD motherboards I see support up to 4GB per slot while the Intel support only 2GB. Down the road you may want to go with a 64-bit OS and >4GB RAM. AMD provides the cheapest path to do so. As for quiet, the new system I built my brother is practically silent but you do need to get a P/S with a 120 mm variable speed fan if noise is important to you.

ddrueding

Fixture
Core2Quad is too geeky and too cheap to ignore. It is fast and will be fast for a long time. Gigabyte has a bunch of motherboards with tons of features. If you are interested in low power and you don't game, consider using onboard video. Do you need parallel and serial ports? More than 4GB of RAM?

Here is what I built only yesterday for a client:

GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H - $82
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - $254
SAMSUNG HD501LJ 500GB - $104
mushkin (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 - $89
SAMSUNG Black 20X SATA DVDRW - $30
Antec NSK4480 - $80

Take a close look at that motherboard: It has everything!

Stereodude

Not really a
If you are interested in low power and you don't game, consider using onboard video. Do you need parallel and serial ports? More than 4GB of RAM?
I'm not so interested in onboard video, mainly because I want the ability to drive two DVI monitors, and I've already got a suitable PCI-E graphics card just collecting dust. I pretty much haven't seen any motherboards with serial ports or parallel ports anymore.

Take a close look at that motherboard: It has everything!
It has pretty much everything except Firewire, but it's a little light on the quantity of each. Only 2 memory slots, only 2 PCI slots which is not necessarily a problem alone, but combined with the fact that it only has 1 PCI-E slot if you're using an add in graphics card, that's not enough expansion IMHO. It also is a little short on SATA connectors. The price is nice, but I don't think it's quite what I'm looking for.

ddrueding

Fixture
It does have firewire (1), but I understand the desire to have more upgrade options. In this lingering world of 32-bit OSes, taking the RAM to 4GB just seems "enough".

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Why do you recommend that over say a Core 2 Duo E8200 (45nm with more L2 cache)?

It's faster MHz, per MHz, should overclock better, and uses a lot less power MHz per MHz.

Because that is what I have and can recommend from experiance. If I were buying a CPU now, I would take a serious look at the E8200.
My motherboard/cpu combo with an Antec Earthwatts power supply has shown a noticable drop in the electric bill over my P4. And, it is running F@H 24/7. My 'office' is noticably cooler too.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I'm not so interested in onboard video, mainly because I want the ability to drive two DVI monitors

The onboard intel video can do that supposedly. I bought one of those ADD2 cards that uses the onboard video but gives you two dvi ports. I haven't installed or tested it yet. And I only have one monitor so I couldn't really test the dual part of it. THe card was about $25.

Stereodude

Not really a
Because that is what I have and can recommend from experiance. If I were buying a CPU now, I would take a serious look at the E8200.
My motherboard/cpu combo with an Antec Earthwatts power supply has shown a noticable drop in the electric bill over my P4. And, it is running F@H 24/7. My 'office' is noticably cooler too.

As it turns out you can't get an E8200 anywhere, or an E8400 for that matter (unless you want to pay a serious premium).

I was "weak" and grabbed a Q6600 for $199.99 from Microcenter today when I was there. :D

Stereodude

Not really a
If I plan on overclocking will I need 1066MHz memory, or can I get a decent overclock with the 800MHz DDR2 stuff? I noticed that I can get 4GB of DDR800 stuff for the same price as 2GB of the DDR1066 stuff.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak

E8400 sells for about the same price as the 8200, less than e8500 buy a good margin, and most likely is a better bet for overclocking.

As to Stereodude, 5yrs and looking for the fastest possible system, for the lowest cost, but he also wants legacy, 5yr hardware I/O support? Nearly impossible to get all of those, a compromise at best, most likely on the cost front, meaning more expensive. Then again, I'm sure SD will look at cost and own personal preferences from which we could never figure ourselves from limited data, and just buy whatever SD wants. Seen that scenario too many times. Poster asks, how can I get faster this or that with Photoshop, and I have such and such system, what parts can I upgrade for the most bang for the buck. Then after all the posters give time and effort to trying to find that magical solution, the OP goes out and spends $$$ getting a much higher performance system, lol.

Why is legacy optical drive important, when dd has show you can get an option drive for $30? Same for parallel/serial i/o (unless you're hooking this up to some really old non-computer like hardware, telescope tracking motor with ancient RS132 port connection, etc)?

If the intended 'new' system is to last as long as the old one (most likely the way technology is moving, that is less likely than ever, USB3.0 or FW3200 coming online by years end, surely by next year, SDD's coming down to kind of reasonable cost for the higher end solution to the biggest data bandwidth bottleneck on current computers), given than in <5yrs, say by 2011 if Intel keeps up with their torrid pace, we'll have 22nm process CPU's.

If it wasn't absolutely necessary to replace this 5yr old system, I'd go for full system replacement (all legacy hardware) and wait until at least June for the Intel Eaglelake chipset, using ICH10 southbridge with 1st chipset I know of that is designed to fully support SSD's, PCI Express 2.0 standardized, DDR3 support standardized, integrated much faster integral GP from Intel that has DVI support, etc.

Both ICH8 & 9 (perhaps newest ICH9 revisions overcome this?) have known flaw that limits SDD thoroughput :( , while Nvidia & AMD built MB's do not.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3064

The final HD Tach results showed the NVIDIA 680i generating a sustained transfer rate of 95.1 MB/sec, write speeds of 74.7 MB/sec, and a burst rate of 100.4 MB/sec. The same MTRON drive on the Intel P35/ICH9R boards scored a sustained transfer rate of 79.4 MB/sec, write speeds of 67.2 MB/sec, and a burst rate of 82.7 MB/sec. For those keeping count, the NVIDIA 680i chipset was showing a 17% improvement in sustained transfer rates, 11% improvement in write speeds, and a 21% increase in burst rates. Some of the synthetic benchmarks show improvements up to 88% in certain cases while our current application benchmarks show anywhere from a 1% to 20% gain when using the NVIDIA 680i SLI MCP instead of the Intel ICH9R.
Wait until June, then see what AMD's offering look like, and a number are in the pipeline due out any month now.

http://www.techfuzz.com/roadmaps/2008.aspx

x-bits was disappointed with 3.2GHs at its nominal Vcore setting, e8200 results (see bottom of the page):

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/intel-wolfdale_12.html#sect0

But, guru peeps used expensive 1066Mhz RAM, to get the 8200 up to 3.3

http://www.utheguru.com/overclocking-an-intel-e8200-core-2-duo-processor-2

DRR3 is currently expensive compared to DDR2, and limited to 1G per module.

DDR2 modules are available up to 8GB (albeit for $<2k!), which may work in any current system...at least hynix brand:

Hynix Introduces 2-Rank 8GB DDR2 RDIMM

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/4536/

Tom's hard, OC'd the e8400, but conclusion was to wait for future models in the series:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/19/wolfdale_on_steroids/page18.html

But see this:
Overclockers report heat problems with E8400

The maximum operating temperature of the Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E8400 is 61.4 degrees Celsius. As long as the processor is operating under this temperature it is operating within specifications.
Quadcore are nice for systems/software optimized for 4 or 8 core systems, but that won't happen in the main for some time in the future.

Hmmm, and if you could wait another 10 months, instead of until June, the 1st Nehalem are to appear, and then if you can wait until 2009, the 1st 32nm Process Westmere in 2009, Sandy Bridge 2010, 22nm process in 2011, lol...and so on :D

• Intel Nehalem is expected to be release sometime in Q4 of 2008. Nehalem is both a microprocessor architecture and a CPU. Nehalem will be manufactured using the same 45 nm methods used for Penryn, but it will require a new socket called LGA1366. Nehalem is expected to have between 1 and 8+ cores and integrated memory controllers for DDR2/DDR3. Nehalem will no longer have a front side bus (FSB), it being replaced with the Intel QuickPath Interconnect technology. The amount of cache is expected to be less than Intel Penryn processors, measuring in a 8MB of L3; however all 8MB will be shared between all the cores. The new microprocessor architecture will also include Simultaneous Multi-Treading (SMT) technology which is actually a revival of Hyper-Threading (HT) found in the Pentium IV. With SMT, a Nehalem processor with four physical cores will be detected as eight logical cores. An integrated graphics subsystem off the die might also be included. The high-end, Extreme edition of the chip has been code named Gainstown and is likely to be symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) / dual CPU compatible. The desktop edition has been code named Bloomfield. Lynnfield will be the code name for the performance mainstream processors and Havendale will round out the entry-level to mainstream markets. Total TDP is expected to be around 130 Watts.
  • Intel Bloomfield is expected to be released in Q4 2008. Bloomfield will be a quad-core chip for high-end markets based on Nehalem. Bloomfield CPU's will be capable of processing eight simultaneous threads because of the Simultaneous Multi-Threading (SMT) technology include in Nehalem processors. Bloomfield will also support triple-channel DDR3 memory and Intel's Quick Path Interconnect. Bloomfield CPU's will use a LGA 1366 socket.
  • Intel Tylersburg-DT chipset is expected sometime in Q4. Tylersburg-DT is a high-end chipset for Nehalem processors and will be based on the Eaglelake chipset. Like Eaglelake, it will include the new ICH10/R southbridge. For this chipset, it is expected that only DDR3 support will be included by dropping DDR2. This DDR3 memory will be clocked at 1333MHz and accessible through 3 channels. It will also come with a pair of x16 PCIe 2.0 slots. The MCH (Memory Controller Hub) will be replaced by the IOH or I/O Hub and will now reside on the CPU.
Can you wait until April 20th?

Intel price drops, e8300 intro @$169

http://www.pureoverclock.com/story1814.html

1066Mhz mem is more expensive.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=2531

Support for DDR2 maybe dropped on some Intel chipsets later this year, in favor of DDR3

Stereodude

Not really a
As to Stereodude, 5yrs and looking for the fastest possible system, for the lowest cost, but he also wants legacy, 5yr hardware I/O support? Nearly impossible to get all of those, a compromise at best, most likely on the cost front, meaning more expensive. Then again, I'm sure SD will look at cost and own personal preferences from which we could never figure ourselves from limited data, and just buy whatever SD wants.
I didn't say I wanted legacy support for 5 year old hardware. I also didn't say I wanted the fastest possible system either.
Why is legacy optical drive important, when dd has show you can get an option drive for $30? Same for parallel/serial i/o (unless you're hooking this up to some really old non-computer like hardware, telescope tracking motor with ancient RS132 port connection, etc)?
Why toss out good working hardware for no reason? I'm not about to replace my solid NEC DVD burner with an Optiarc POS. It's not like asking for a single IDE channel to support 2 IDE devices eliminates some of the motherboards out there. They basically all have it. As to parallel and serial i/o I didn't make a single comment about wanting them. I don't care about them.
If the intended 'new' system is to last as long as the old one (most likely the way technology is moving, that is less likely than ever, USB3.0 or FW3200 coming online by years end, surely by next year, SDD's coming down to kind of reasonable cost for the higher end solution to the biggest data bandwidth bottleneck on current computers), given than in <5yrs, say by 2011 if Intel keeps up with their torrid pace, we'll have 22nm process CPU's.
I don't agree with your sentiments. I think it's more likely than ever for a machine to go 5 years as there are less and less applications that are pushing the processing envelope and there's no need to support USB3.0 or S800, S1600, or S3200.
If it wasn't absolutely necessary to replace this 5yr old system, I'd go for full system replacement (all legacy hardware) and wait until at least June for the Intel Eaglelake chipset, using ICH10 southbridge with 1st chipset I know of that is designed to fully support SSD's, PCI Express 2.0 standardized, DDR3 support standardized, integrated much faster integral GP from Intel that has DVI support, etc.
It's not absolutely necessary. In fact it's not really even partially necessary. I just feel it's time now to replace the system. Frankly, I like the performance I can get for the price now. I don't need to wait for some new fangled Intel processor and chipset that needs more expensive memory and that will likely need a few hardware revisions to get all the bugs out. No thanks...
Both ICH8 & 9 (perhaps newest ICH9 revisions overcome this?) have known flaw that limits SDD thoroughput :( , while Nvidia & AMD built MB's do not.
That's nice, but I have no intention of buying any SSD's to put in the system with the price premium they command, so I don't see the relevance.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
If I plan on overclocking will I need 1066MHz memory, or can I get a decent overclock with the 800MHz DDR2 stuff? I noticed that I can get 4GB of DDR800 stuff for the same price as 2GB of the DDR1066 stuff.

That is tough call. My 800MHz memory is running at 940MHz. It has run higher than that, but not stable. F@H blue screens the computer when the memory is above 940MHz.
I would get whatever the CPU runs at.

Stereodude

Not really a
That is tough call. My 800MHz memory is running at 940MHz. It has run higher than that, but not stable. F@H blue screens the computer when the memory is above 940MHz.
I would get whatever the CPU runs at.
So, for example the Q6600 has a 1066MHz FSB. Changing it to 1333MHz would put the chip to 3.0gHz, but I could run 800MHz DDR2 in both cases correct? As I understand it the memory would vary from 800MHz at speeds in between 2.4gHz and 3.0gHz, or above 3.0gHz though.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Wouldn't the memory speed depend on what kind of memory dividers the motherboard provides? IIRC, my motherboard provides a number of dividers and I suppose I could set my FSB (or whatever it is in the more modern motherboards) to whatever and adjust my memory speed per the dividers as needed. At least with the early Core 2 Duos, I remember reading that memory performance was generally not the bottleneck. If the same is true for your Q6600, I would imaging memory speed would not be too critical and you'd mainly just want to find a reasonably fast, stable setting for the memory that maxes out your CPU.

Stereodude

Not really a
Wouldn't the memory speed depend on what kind of memory dividers the motherboard provides?
Yes it depends on the memory multipliers. It looks like they are:

Auto

So, you can set the memory multiplier to any of those, so your memory will run at the FSB (100-700Mhz in 1Mhz increments) * the multiplier you set. So, assuming you could push it that far, you could get a Q6600 all the way up to 3.6gHz (9*400) and still run 800MHz DDR2 by setting the memory multiplier to 2.0 (2.0*400).

Stereodude

Not really a
Ok... First, I'll acknowledge that this didn't turn out to be a very low cost build. Oh well...

That said, here's what I plan to get to finish out the build:

CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX Power Supply
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200RPM 32MB HD x2 for RAID-1 (Tannin would be proud even though it only has 250GB platters)
GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4 Mobo - I want the DTS Connect feature, so I'll pay the few extra $ over the GA-EP35-DS3P even though that is the only difference.
Scythe Ninja SCNJ-1100P HSF
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2-800 Memory

I'm re-using the case, optical drives, *cough* floppy */cough*, keyboard, mouse, and monitor that I'm currently using. I will use the spare nVidia 7900GS I have also.

Comments?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
One thing to keep in mind is your backup software. Acronis doesn't recognize motherboard RAID. I still use Drive Image from floppies for anything that has motherboard RAID.

Stereodude

Not really a
One thing to keep in mind is your backup software. Acronis doesn't recognize motherboard RAID. I still use Drive Image from floppies for anything that has motherboard RAID.
I didn't realize that. Thanks for the tip... However, to date, I usually don't use any thing more advanced than Windows Explorer to backup my system. I generally just back up my data, not the OS install itself. I should probably change that though... :D

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
What's wrong with the Seasonic 700Watt 4 rail power supply?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151031

I've got the scythe in my gaming machine, and, I crank the fans up when I'm gaming. I'd get a variable rate front mounting fan control. About 30 bucks.

IF I did it again, I'd probably go with that gaming cooler that mounts a fan, that I've used in all my other machines. Swiftech,
http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/35-108-037-01.JPG
and put a Vantec Stealth silent fan on it. My gaming machine turns the fan on on startup, and, then, unless after an hour of game play, the fan stays off. Same setup on my Xeons, same result. The cooler by itself is more then adequate, without the fan, except under extreme use. When my girlfriend uses the computer, the fan never comes on...

I'd ask the other folks around here for links on SCA drives, and, spend 100 bucks on an LSI single channel scsi card, and 30 bucks on the cable. If you want Raid, it's about 350 for the 320 LSI card, but, you can take it with you, on your next build.

SCA drives, using a converter, both work, and are dirt cheap, and, about 3 times faster then your Samsung drive.

I'd also want two, removeable SATA drive enclosures, with motherboard raid, so I could run Raid 1 with two drives, that are removeable.

Another alternative is a Supermicro SCA box, that would allow 5 SCA, or 5-6 removeable SATA drives, and, when combined with the LSI Megaraid single channel card, makes for a very fast, raid 0 and 1 setup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121405

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121403

This stuff is getting less and less expensive....

Santilli

Hairy Aussie

I've got the scythe in my gaming machine, and, I crank the fans up when I'm gaming. I'd get a variable rate front mounting fan control. About 30 bucks.

IF I did it again, I'd probably go with that gaming cooler that mounts a fan, that I've used in all my other machines. Swiftech,
http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/35-108-037-01.JPG
and put a Vantec silent fan on it. My gaming machine turns the fan on on startup, and, then, unless after an hour of game play, the fan stays off.

The more I think about it, if I were you, I'd keep the hardware you have, and put your money into a fast storage solution that would be moveable to another platform, if that didn't do the trick for you. No matter what you do, if your system is boat anchored by a Samsung drive....

Stereodude

Not really a
Who said there was anything wrong with it? I just didn't see any point in buying something that oversized for the other hardware I have spec'd.
The more I think about it, if I were you, I'd keep the hardware you have, and put your money into a fast storage solution that would be movable to another platform, if that didn't do the trick for you. No matter what you do, if your system is boat anchored by a Samsung drive....
Why would I want to do that? I don't need a faster than normal storage solution. My old hardware only has PCI slots, and any "fast" storage subsystem would easily saturate the PCI bus making it largely pointless. A PCI based system also wouldn't transition to a new machine very well.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, I stand corrected. YOU are the expert...
I never said I was the expert. I just don't get your comments. They seem kind of random, coming out of left field. I asked for comments on a new build to replace my old PC. You came in and suggested I keep my old system and put in a killer storage subsystem. That's nice and all, but it's not like I made any comments that I was building a new computer because I was unhappy with the speed of my drives. I have no doubt that your comments would help me build a superior drive subsystem, but that's just not what I am after right now given my budget.

For example, you asked me what's wrong with the Seasonic 700W 4 rail PS. There's probably nothing wrong with it. I never said there was anything wrong with it. In fact I never even looked at it or considered it until I read your post. So the question formulated in your post seems odd.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
What is it that you want your computer to do that it doesn't now? What areas are you trying to improve? What program so taxes your computer that you want to lower the cpu useage?
Is that the issue? You aren't playing games, so that's out.

Your machine sounds great to me, and, I just pointed out the areas that I think might make a real difference in performance from what you have now.

I also was looking at value for the dollar, and, I would rather have the Seasonic for a couple bucks more. They are silent, and, are known for being really clean and efficient.

I'm not up on the real benefits, if any, of a dual or quad core. What programs work well with them? Any driver problems going to 64 bit?

I guess I've just got a lot of respect for what you built in the first place, and, really can't imagine much your current machine would not do. I look at doubling speed before changing. What is your criteria, or reason for the change?

I'll be very intrested in your results, since I have two machines that are sort of the same generation as yours.

I gave you feedback on the things I've had direct experience with, that I like a LOT. I'd also look at one of the removeable SATA enclosures, or maybe a couple of them. I would REALLY like a machine I could change boot drives on to test new operating systems, and, I don't like getting a perfectly good install screwed up while I go through a learning curve with the thing.

Since you've already bought the processor, it's going to be fun to see what, and how this project works out.

I'm just trying to help, in the limited ways I can.

Stereodude

Not really a
What is it that you want your computer to do that it doesn't now? What areas are you trying to improve? What program so taxes your computer that you want to lower the cpu useage?
Is that the issue? You aren't playing games, so that's out.
Honestly, not a lot. I would like to be able to decode Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Occasionally I do some MPEG-2 / xvid / H.264 compression. Mostly my intentions to replace the PC come out of concerns about the longevity of the old PC. It is water cooled and I don't know how long the pump will last, etc. It has an AGP slot, no PCI-E slots, very limited SATA support. Basically it's old.
I also was looking at value for the dollar, and, I would rather have the Seasonic for a couple bucks more. They are silent, and, are known for being really clean and efficient.
The Corsair 520HX is a Seasonic.
I'm not up on the real benefits, if any, of a dual or quad core. What programs work well with them? Any driver problems going to 64 bit?
A lot of multimedia apps can take advantage of dual core and quad core chips. Plus, if you do more than one thing at once... I'm not running a 64 bit OS. It's not required, but the chip does support it.
I guess I've just got a lot of respect for what you built in the first place, and, really can't imagine much your current machine would not do. I look at doubling speed before changing. What is your criteria, or reason for the change?
On some applications the Q6600 is several times faster than a 3.06gHz P4 HT. link
I'll be very interested in your results, since I have two machines that are sort of the same generation as yours.
Well, I have all the parts and they're here running together. It's works, but I haven't put it into service yet. I'm still messing around with it.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I do like duals, and, they are snappy, with Server 2003 or XP.

Great website and reviews.
What software are you using for Blue Ray decoding?
How did you find out the Corsair was a relabled Seasonic?
How much power consumption difference between a 500 and 700watt PS, and, what would it cost per month?
Of all the software I've used, the ones that will peg my cpus, dual Xeon 2.8s, are DVD decoding programs, and, the movie making software I used a while back. Also, the software that came with the conversion for VHS to DVD formatting, and, the Plextor converter.

AGP cards seem to be around, and, a viable option, considering you aren't doing any gaming on the machine.

I've been through 3 ATI x800XLs, and, currently running a replacement for a 700XL, waiting for the return of the again dead, 800XL..

Stereodude

Not really a
What software are you using for Blue Ray decoding?
PowerDVD Ultra unfortunately. Hopefully someone else will come out with a decent program soon.
How did you find out the Corsair was a relabled Seasonic?
I'm not 100% sure it's just relabeled, but it's made for Corsair by Seasonic. link
How much power consumption difference between a 500 and 700watt PS, and, what would it cost per month?
Maybe not a lot depends on where you sit on the efficiency curve. I just don't need the extra capacity, so I saved $50+
AGP cards seem to be around, and, a viable option, considering you aren't doing any gaming on the machine.

I've been through 3 ATI x800XLs, and, currently running a replacement for a 700XL, waiting for the return of the again dead, 800XL..
They are less viable if you want HDCP and prefer to not buy AMD / ATI cards. Some of the advanced video processing / hardware decoding the nVidia cards have for video does not work on the AGP variants. Seems like you're not having very good luck with your AGP cards. :p

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
What kind of cpu usage does PowerDVD Ultra cause?

As for video cards, I did a little research, and it seems like everyone is advertizing about HDCP capable, but none of the cards really are, without an additional chip.

If I wasn't already into the cards fairly cheap, I'd try something else. Still, they keep RMAing the cards, which at this point, makes me REAL happy that I went with ATI cards, since they have a 3 year Warranty. The gaming box has an HIS, if I remember correctly, and, I turn the fans up a bit when gaming, just to make sure it's cool enough.

Stereodude

Not really a
What kind of cpu usage does PowerDVD Ultra cause?
That depends on the video card and CPU. So far I haven't tried it on my Q6600, just my AMD X2 4200+ with a nVidia 8600GT. The CPU usage is below 20% I think (due to the video card acceleration). I honestly haven't paid a lot of attention to it.

Stereodude

Not really a
I did a mass compression of my music collection from FLAC to MP3 using foobar2k and LAME at -V 1. As a side note, Foobar2k will launch as many compression threads as there are "cores". The Q6600 @ 3gHz went along at about 110x. My P4 3.06HT only does about 19x.