LSI U160

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It means the drivers aren't provided in a format that would allow them to be accessed during the "Press F6 to Add Drivers" portion of the Windows installation.

How that can be, I have no idea.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
That Radboy was. for those unfamiliar, there is much useful information at the Radified web site, including everything you ever wanted to know about the man himself. ;)

Radboy

What is this storage?
I know F6 works fine for the Tekram U3W (I have one myself), but not sure why a similar card (the LSI U160) comes wit that note from Newegg that the card ( anice price, btw) won't install Windows.

What concerned me about the Tekram U3W is that they're hard to find. Hypermicro no longer carries Tekram cards. Not sure why. I have an email into their sales dept. I searched around and couldn't find the card .. which is a bad sign.

Radboy

What is this storage?
Yeah, dat's the one. I got mine for $185. I think they were always that price. Retail box. Came with all the cables.

Does anyone have the LSI U160 card that Newegg is offering? And have you verified that it will indeed load Windows XP? It would suk if it wouldn't.

Radboy

What is this storage?
The LSI U160 from Newegg is only $38 .. which would be great if I could make it work. Where is your site.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Radboy said:
Yeah, dat's the one. I got mine for $185. I think they were always that price. Retail box. Came with all the cables.

Does anyone have the LSI U160 card that Newegg is offering? And have you verified that it will indeed load Windows XP? It would suk if it wouldn't.

They all use the LSI 53C1010 chipset, which is all the Windows driver cares about.

http://www.lsilogic.com/products/stor_prod/hba/valueline/index.html

The LSI site says it supports Windows. Looks like it's a 33MHz card (although it will work in a 3.3V slot).

Radboy

What is this storage?
Seems like Newegg and LSI are saying different things .. wonder why that is .. shot off a question to LSI sppt. They are usually pretty good.

Radboy

What is this storage?
You guys were correct. Newegg was wrong:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. NewEgg's information is incorrect. The LSIU160 controller is natively supported in Windows XP. As long as you have a hard drive attached and terminated properly, you can install Windows XP without any third party drivers. I even verified this in my lab about 10 minutes ago; I installed plain Windows XP Pro to an LSIU160 without any drivers, completed the installation, and booted several times, and check device manager for errors. Everything works fine. We're contacting NewEgg now to get the website corrected. Thanks for letting us know.

Thank you,
LSI Support-03
LSI Logic - Field Support Technician