MAC question

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Is it posible to install the new MAC OS, Leopard, on a computer running Intel hardware? Or is it locked somehow?

Bozo :joker:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Hmmmm....I wonder if it would run as a virtual OS in VMware or similar.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Intel based Apple Mac use EFI based firmware rather than the contemporary BIOS we know, and all their boards have a TPM chip that the Mac kernel looks for.

So if you can find a non-Apple x86 motherboard that has a EFI based BIOS and implements a hacked TPM chip with Apple PKIs, sure you can install Mac OS X on a non-Apple PC.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Intel based Apple Mac use EFI based firmware rather than the contemporary BIOS we know, and all their boards have a TPM chip that the Mac kernel looks for.

So if you can find a non-Apple x86 motherboard that has a EFI based BIOS and implements a hacked TPM chip with Apple PKIs, sure you can install Mac OS X on a non-Apple PC.

Long and short, answer is no, get a Mac if you want to run a superior OS, lol.

Speak for yourself, BIOS is not contemporary, it's legacy = old, obsolete. At any rate Leopard (OSX 10.5) runs on PPC Mac's also, PPC Macs are not EFI based. You'd also need a hack for the installer, or would need to clone a copy on a HD installed/connected on a computer that the installer will install to. The installer checks for correct hardware, so that even though 10.5 will run on a Mac of 867Mhz and slower, Apple fixed the installer to refuse to install on any Apple system that does not have an 867Mhz or faster CPU. The claim is that 10.5 isn't responsive enough in Apple's opinion, to run on slower systems...other Mac owners running on old 800Mhz PPC iBooks disagree.

MAC = In computer networking a Media Access Control address (MAC address) Mac = short for Macintosh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Now all current Macintosh systems are also able to boot legacyBIOS Operating Systems like Windows XP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface

Platforms that use EFI or the Framework

Intel's first Itanium workstations and servers, released in 2000, supported EFI 1.02.
Hewlett-Packard's first Itanium 2 systems, released in 2002, supported EFI 1.10; they were able to boot Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and HP-UX.
All Itanium or Itanium 2 systems that ship with EFI compliant firmware must also comply with all DIG64 specifications.
In November 2003, Gateway introduced the Gateway 610 Media Center, the first x86 Windows-based computer system to use firmware based on the Framework, Insyde Software's InsydeH2O. It still relied on a legacy BIOS implemented as a compatibility support module to boot Windows.
In January 2006, Apple Computer shipped their first Intel-based Macintosh computers. These systems use EFI and the Framework instead of Open Firmware, which had been used on their previous PowerPC-based systems.[8] On April 5, 2006 Apple released Boot Camp which produces a Windows XP Drivers Disk as well as a non-destructive partitioning tool to help users easily install Windows XP. A firmware update was also released which added legacy BIOS support to its EFI implementation. Subsequent Macintosh models shipped with the newer firmware. Now all current Macintosh systems are also able to boot legacy BIOS Operating Systems like Windows XP.
The grand majority of Intel motherboards ship with Framework-based firmware. During 2005 more than one million Intel systems shipped with the Framework[9]. New mobile, desktop and server products, using the Framework, started shipping in 2006. For instance, all boards that use the Intel 945 chipset series use the Framework. However, the production firmware usually does not include EFI support, and is limited to legacy BIOS[10].
Since 2005, EFI has also been implemented on non-PC architectures, such as embedded systems based on XScale cores[11].
The EDK includes an NT32 target, which allows EFI firmware and EFI applications to run within a Windows application.
In 2007 HP released the 8000 series multifunction printers with EFI compliant firmware. [12]

[edit] Operating systems
  • Linux systems have been able to use EFI at boot time since early 2000, using the elilo EFI boot loader. elilo is the only means to boot Linux on IA-64 platforms; it can also be used on IA-32 platforms. As of July 2007, elilo support for x86-64 mode is available through a beta release.
  • HP-UX has used EFI as its boot mechanism on IA-64 systems since 2002. OpenVMS has used it on production releases since January 2005.
[edit] Microsoft Windows

The Itanium versions of Windows 2000 (Advanced Server Limited Edition and Datacenter Server Limited Edition) supported EFI 1.1 in 2002.
Windows Server 2003 for IA64, Windows XP 64-bit Edition, and Windows 2000 Advanced Server Limited Edition, all of which are for the Intel Itanium family of processors, support EFI, a requirement of the platform through the DIG64 specification.[13]
Microsoft plans to introduce UEFI support for 64-bit x64 with Windows Server 2008. UEFI support for x64 versions of Windows Vista are planned to be included in a service pack,[14] possibly Vista Service Pack 1.[15] Microsoft claims that the lack of official support for EFI booting on 32-bit CPUs is due to lack of support from PC manufacturers and vendors. Microsoft's migration to x64 operating systems is not supportable by EFI 1.10, since the x86-64/EM64T processor extensions required by x64 operating systems were not a supported processor binding. Support for x86-64/EM64T was added in UEFI 2.0.
Microsoft has released a video with Andrew Ritz and Jamie Schwarz explaining Pre-OS support involving UEFI on Vista and Longhorn.[16]

[edit] Intellectual property

According to Ron Minnich, the lead developer for LinuxBIOS, one of the stated goals of EFI is to "protect hardware vendors' intellectual property". This raises security concerns and notably makes creating a free software implementation impossible. EFI could be used to create a "DRM BIOS", thus letting vendors build computers which limit what the user can do.[17]
EFI is not open source. Its specificiation is not publicly viewable and EFI site suggests that it is a supporter of the Trust Computing Group.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Bozo:

It's very possible to run OSX on a standard PC. I've had it running at different times. You just need to find a proper, cracked installation ISO. I haven't seen one yet for the new Leopard release, but I'm sure it's out there. You're best off with an Intel chipset and an Intel CPU (945 or 965 are often thought to work best), but Athlons do also work.

Actually, I take that back, as I can see a 1.86GB download 10.4.10 available on Demonoid.com right now.

Uda:
I didn't read your whole post, but I would like to point out that OSX is a closed system with very little history of available free software, which is graphically sluggish (just like Vista!) and in my mind, it offers no particular advantage over using a well built desktop Linux distro such as SuSE or even Ubuntu. PC users making the move to OSX face exactly the same "How do I...?" questions that Linux users do, and at this point both systems offer the security panacea of being not-Windows. The difference? A linux user can get a modern, operable computer with a $100 Ebay reject, and the Mac user just paid $1500 Cool Tax so Steve Jobs could buy a new black turtleneck.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Merc.
I think I'm more curious than anything. The closest Apple store is over an hour away. I was there last year and I must say they have nice stuff, but WAY overpriced. The only reason I went in was to see the cases. The company I work for makes the aluminum for the cases, but I never saw the finished product. We just supply the aluminum in large rolls. (80" dia, 60" wide, ~20,000lbs)

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
...I must say they have nice stuff, but WAY overpriced.
Basically, that's my take on Apple stuff as well. Sure, very nice industrial design, cool factor, etc. but the price and proprietary everything are the big show stopper. Yes, it looks better, perhaps is made better, but not worth the extra $ for most people. As Merc said, if you want something non-Windows some flavor of Linux is your best bet.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
The publiser we used last haad a whole whole bunch of macs - each set up with the 30' displays. There was soem big, fast storage syetms (not mac thoughz) moving the fiels along hundreds of megabots/sec. I think the cost of Mac workstations is not he big problemo for buinesses.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Lack of availability of MS Outlook and MS Access probably do hurt it as a business platform. I don't really think either is a big deal, but an awful lot of business type people would disagree with me.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Lost, I'm not sure what a megabot is :cheese: but you are correct that the cost of a workstation is relatively trivial to a business. Unlike consumers a business will justify the cost by the anticipated productivity gains that can be achieved. Also, the cost is generally spread across multiple years either by a capital depreciation or by simply not buying new machines every year.

For instance, where I work we buy PCs, notebooks, and servers from Dell. We buy thousands every year. All of them are purchased with Dell Gold support and a 3 year warranty. NBD on site for non-servers and same-day 4 hour for servers. When the warranty expires so does the machine so servers & workstations are basically replaced every three years. So while the $3600 notebook I just requested sounds expensive, it comes out to only $1200 a year. Even less when you factor that the LCD should last through 2 machines (monitors are subject to the 3-year rule).

For a point of comparison, $1200 a year is what my company is paying for my cell phone plan.

Anyway, the cost to administer and support a workstation is generally considered to be far higher than the cost of the hardware & software. Especially when you add in the infrastructure that the workstation will require - LAN printers, file/print servers, Internet pipe, WAN connection, other servers/network devices.