Making an XP Pro Corporate Install Legit

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
A relative has been using WinXP Pro with a corporate key. I finally convinced them to buy a legit copy of XP Pro OEM. Do I have to wipe their entire current install and reinstall to make the installation legit or can I somehow swap in their new legit CD key without screwing up their current install?

Just to be clear, the purpose here is to get legit, not to pirate.

Thanks for any help...

BTW: I'm posting this from within Ubuntu!

C

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
My immediate reaction is that an inplace reinstall should work just fine, using the new CD and key: I haven't tested it though.

There are undoubtably hacks that swap the keys, but I wouldn't trust that that would be enough. Even if it works now, that would not guarentee that M$ won't change their "Guninue Advantage" detection software in a way that would make them think it wasn't legit.

ddrueding

Fixture
Why bother reinstalling?

I would assume that the partucular VLK he has won't pass genuine BS. When you buy a licence through the genuine advantage link, all they do is send you a program that changes the key and a new key. I don't know how else to get this program, but it worked fine with another retail key I had lying around.

I'm sorry to say I forgot to take a copy of the app with me when I left the site.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Worked perfectly using a new OEM copy of WinXP Pro & the key changer.