Mandrake Linux 9.1 beta 3.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Here we go again. I didn't think I would mess up with Linux so soon after my last roller coaster ride with Mandrake 9.0, but after reading this article about 9.1 beta 2, I felt maybe it deserved another try. I didn't want to jump into the FreeBSD wagon yet, since I've been warned several times against dot "0" releases of this OS and I don't want to start on the wrong foot when I'll finally give it a shot.

So I downloaded the three ISO CDs and copied them on re-writeable medias (why waste write-once discs for a beta release?). Booted up and start the installation process. Re-partitioned my otherwise NTFS-only 15GB Quantum Fireball Plus LM with a 3GB "/", 243MB Swap and 1.9GB /usr (that's what the automatic partitioning gave me). I usually makes a small /boot, but it's been a while since last time I partitioned for a Linux distro and I forgot what's the appropriate size for a /boot partition, so I didn't create one. During this first installation attempt, I chose to use the French language and Canadian French keyboard layout, since it's the one I'm the most familiar with and I figured that since Mandrake is from France, French shouldn't be problematic, even for a beta release. I selected the packages I wanted to install (Gnome, KDE, a few games and Office applications, nothing server-related since this is intended to be a desktop-replacement box). Fast forward to the disc-to-hard drive file transfer. Passed through disc one fine, asked for disc two. Passed through disc two fine, asked for disc three. Copied a few files from disc three and system hangs with some 10 secconds remaining to the file copying process. Me blue, taked a deep breath, remembered it's only a beta (altough the third, figured it would work by then but...) and cooled down.

Hard reboot required. Restart the whole thing, but this time in US English and all standard options only. Disc one ok, disc two ok, disc three...I left my computer room, drank a big water glass, cooled down and came back. Hard reboot again. US English, selected only KDE, not Gnome, no Office applications. Disc one, disc two, canceled disc three (international CD) since it's supposed to be able to complete the installation without it anyway. Hanged again just before the end of the file copying process. Computer then almost been rewarded with another war paint on the face plate. Hard reboot, US English, KDE only. Installed disc once, cancelled disc two and three...success. Computer box stoped sweating while looking at me with big scared eyes.

I completed the whole installation and configuration process, removed the Mandrake CD and rebooted. Went fine and made it through the whole booting process without a glitch.. Once in KDE....no internet connection available. Went to the terminal windows, ping my router...response times just fine. Went to the computer management part and checked the IP address of my NIC...just fine. Restarted Konqueror...still not able to pass through my USR8000 router. Continued to mess up with my network setting for half-an-hour without success. Restarted the machine, loaded Win2K in Grubs and end of story for Linux this week.

I willl probably re-install the whole thing, but this time in my main language and I'll select more packages, but only those that can be installed from CD1. I installed a few more things from CD 2 and 3 once I made it to KDE, but it hangs everytime I tried to install something from CD 2 and during the initial installation process. I have no clue why it cannot pass through my router even though it sees it.

I found many how-to guides since last December when I had all kinds of problem to upgrade KDE, so next time it should go more smoothly. But I'll need to figure out the internet problem before I get there.

So the beta 3 is still far from being ready for wide distribution. Wait for beta4 / final release before wasting CDs to burn the ISO.

SteveC

Storage is cool
Mandrake usually has about 4 betas and 3 Release Candidates before it goes final, so there is still a while to go before I would try it again if I were you. There time between betas is also very short (about 2 weeks), which doesn't seem like enough time to me to find and fix all of the bugs in the betas. Added to that their financial situation, and I'm thinking of switching to Gentoo whenever I finally get around to it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
UPDATE

I retried the installation and it worked. I re-did the package selection and went through all three CDs with my personal choices. Like usual, it apparently hang at the end of the third CD, but instead of restarting after a few minutes of inactivity, I let it go and it proceeded to the next step after maybe 6 or 7 minutes of apparent freeze. Once the installation finished and into GNOME (I chose GNOME for a change instead of KDE), I still had my internet connection problem. This time though, I've been able to fix it. Just gave it a fixed IP address and told him my gateway & DNS was my USR8000 instead of auto-detecting my network settings and Mandrake finally made it to the Web. My USR8000 is just a cable router, not my DNS, but anyway...it works now.

So here am I, typing from Galeon 1.3.1 under Gnome 2.2.0 on my Mandrake 9.1 beta3 distro. Despite the claim that Gnome 2.2 has font smoothering, it is nowhere nearly as eye-pleasing as KDE, at least on the box I'm using now. Fonts are fuzzy, unlike under KDE 3.1. But it's still quite usable though. Since Mandrake 9.1 beta3 is about the most up-to-date Linux distro there is, I don't need to mess with upgrades for now, so I will be in my happy phase with Linux for a while...until I will want to install/update something.

More later on.

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Cougtek said:
I let it go and it proceeded to the next step after maybe 6 or 7 minutes of apparent freeze.

I had this problem, too. The first several attempts found me impatiently rebooting the machine. I finally took your course of action and just let it sit for a few minutes...with success. I guess hastiness was our downfall.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Coug... i was reinstalling linux anyway and decided to give redhat 8.0 a try... I have to say I was fairly unimpressed... as a desktop OS it was good.. about the best linux distro I've tried... but as a server OS, out of the box mandrake is much better.

To get redhat going with webmin, samba, Apache, FTP... was just a PITA... i had to d/l and install webmin.. install OpenSSH, and I mucked around with samba for ~ an hour and still couldn't get it working correctly... (something that takes 2 min's with mandrake)

so i just went back to mandrake 9.0.. there are a few things that are broken.. (sound is broken in both redhat and mandrake out of the box with this mobo) but for the most part I think mandrake makes a better OS than redhat.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
blakerwry said:
...but for the most part I think mandrake makes a better OS than redhat.
My thoughts too, although I've never tried RedHat 8.0 (only 6.1 and 7.3). I liked 7.3, but found it sluggish. From what I heard and read about 8.0, it doesn't even worth wasting time and bandwidth to download and try it. RH 8.0 has apparently both Gnome and (particularly) KDE, so hwhile the whole package might be simpler to use (Note that didn't write "to configure"), in the end you get less overall.

Mandrake 9.1 beta 3 has been good so far. It doesn't feel as snappy as Win2K SP3 on my Athlon 500MHz box though. Another distro I'd like to try is Gentoo. They have optimized installations for several processors (including Athlon, Athlon XP, Athlon MP), so it looks like it might be even better than the already fine Mandrake (optimized for i686 platform). And Gentoo is supposed to have a port system a la FreeBSD, which should fix my biggest issue with Linux : damn dependancies.

BTW, what's the teminal that eats up the least ressources? I mean the most basic one. Xterminal, Konsole, GNOME Terminal? Other (please tell me where to start them)? I ask because that's the one I would use to run the F@h client. Last time I had a Linux installation, I used Konsole. Now I've tried Xterminal. Both work fine, although I haven't compared how much ressources each takes.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
right now i'm using windowmaker ;-) on my mandrake 9.0 installation...

I'm using the default terminal for windowmaker... the command that might allow you to run it(i think) would be "/usr/X11R6/bin/rxvt.bin" ... of course, in window maker it uses "/usr/X11R6/bin/WindowMaker-Terminal" it uses between 2 and 3MB for each terminal. But i just use it cause it's convenient.

One of the best ways to find out would be to open something like the KDE system guard or the Gnome system monitor and see how much RAM your terminal processes are using in the process list.

honold

Storage is cool
you thin-minded people should check out fluxbox as a wm

although it's only a guess, i would have to think that xterm is the most lightweight.