March Break Effect?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I began to take a hobbyist's interest in computers in the later part of 2000, so this marks the 4th March that I've paid attention to pricing etc. Like clockwork, when the kids March break arrives, the prices of some hardware increases. Anyone else observe a similar trend?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
RAM seems to be going up for sure. I do not know about other components. How many kids or parents are buying new PCs in March compared to August? Less I think.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
CityK said:
Like clockwork, when the kids March break arrives, the prices of some hardware increases. Anyone else observe a similar trend?

Do the prices stay up or is it a limited time bump?

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Actually Lunar, it was indeed RAM that I specifically had in mind. But I notice a bump by a few dollars here and there in other things too (like HDDs). And then their are those items whose declining price trend all of a sudden becomes static.

Limited time price bumps Howell (2-3 weeks). RAM in particular, since I've been following pricing, returns to its previous levels. HDDs lose their couple of dollars inflation, and the downward price trends on other equipment resumes.

Which, I guess, leads me to my next causal observation that (relatively speaking) the later part of April has always appeared to be the best time purchase hardware.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
BTW, I saw that someone on SR also took notice of a recent RAM increase. Someone else then linked a Register article about low yeilds blah blah this and that, and that RAM prices would continue to increase throught May. Personally I believe that clap trap about as much as the justifications for the weekly 10 cent a litre swings in gas prices (my highly scientific studies show Tues morning is the best time to get gas, after that its gouge gouge gouge). Anyway, based upon what I've seen in the last couple of years, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if RAM drops to its yearly low prices within 4 weeks time.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Despite what you may have learned in school, with an over-supplied commodity with high price sensitivity, demand spikes tend to lower prices, not raise them. So, if a bunch of poor college students want to buy harddrives, the prices should go down, as each manufacturer or retailer attempts to gain market share and move items.

RAM, on the other hand, is rarely over-supplied and there is a segment of the market which is relatively price-insensitive. This segments the market such that the price of higher-performance RAM is always high relative to commodity RAM. Any idiot should want to be where the money is, so production of more expensive RAM is favoured whenever possible. Inevitably, when demand goes up, commodity RAM becomes under-supplied, and all prices go up.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
CityK said:
my highly scientific studies show Tues morning is the best time to get gas, after that its gouge gouge gouge

Indeed. Tues has been a good time to get gas in March. But it doesn't always hold true. For a while, I noticed late Sunday night / Monday AM was a good time to fill up, but as you said, early Tuesday became the best time in March.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
No, I doesn't always hold true, but from a historical perspective (based upon the highly accurate database contained within my memory) Tues morn is the time to quench your thirst for premium unleaded.

e, I didn't spot how there data was collected or whether the data points are averages. Do you happen to know?

e_dawg

Storage Freak
CityK said:
No, I doesn't always hold true, but from a historical perspective (based upon the highly accurate database contained within my memory) Tues morn is the time to quench your thirst for premium unleaded.

e, I didn't spot how there data was collected or whether the data points are averages. Do you happen to know?

I think the historical gas price charts are based on the average of all gas prices submitted from members on that day in T.O. If you take a look at the Torontogasprices.com homepage, you can see some of the individual data points from the lowest/highes gas prices in the city tables.